What's new

3D 3D@Home Consortium claims 100 3D Blu-rays in 2011 (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
According to this article in Home Media Magazine: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3-d/3d-experts-see-content-hardware-upswing-23436

Chris Chinnock [president of Insight Media, which oversees the cross-industry 3D@Home Consortium] forecasts that approximately 100 3D Blu-rays will be released in 2011, and estimates more than 200 will be released in 2012. Combine those with an expected 10 3D channels launching this year (25 more in 2012), 100-plus sporting events streaming in 2011 (150-plus in 2012) and 100-plus other 3D events broadcast this year (150-plus in 2012), and 3D in the home has a bright near-term future.

I certainly hope this is the case as lack of content is one of the biggest issues I have as a 3D display owner. Unfortunately I doubt we will see anywhere that number of titles if current 3D theatrical releases to home video aren't being released (Dawn Treader, Jackass, etc). How many releases do you think we will see?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As we've discussed in another thread, the studios could help this by releasing some of their vault 3D material.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I have high hopes for more content for the second half of the year. One film I hope to see in 3D on blu is U23D, it wasn't the best use of 3D, but seeing there concert in a movie theater like that was a genuine treat anyway and would be fun to have at home like that alongside all the other concert discs of theirs I have :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks