What's new

3D "Classic" confirmation? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
If decent source materials exist, there is no good reason why a 3D BD version of classic 1950's or 1980's 3D films couldn't be released and look terrific in a modern digital theater or on a 3D TV. At this point, it would behoove the studios to see what materials they have available, if for no other reason than to extend the catalog of 3D BD's on the market. I think the main argument against such a thing happening for most of the films is that many of them just aren't good films. There are exceptions, of course, such as the aforementioned HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL "M" FOR MURDER, and KISS ME KATE. Even those films would only appeal to classic film buffs, sadly. I don't know that the expense of creating a new 3D master would be worth it for the studios. As for me, I'd love to be able to see 3D re-releases of classic films in the theaters. I'd go in a heartbeat. Sadly, I doubt it will happen.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
What was used for the flat versions of the 3D films? Were there separate versions of the film like "Oklahoma" which was filmed in both scope and Todd-AO or did they just use one of the negatives like the right eye? I had heard that for many of the 1950's 3D films such as Kiss Me Kate that negatives for both eyes no longer exist. There are some prints available but that is it.

GregK

Screenwriter
For the initial release, typically the left and right prints were later split up for 2D runs. For the longer term (theatrical 2D re-releases, 2D home video) if one side is superior to the other, or is in better shape, then that side is used. The only 1950's 3-D feature that I recall being shot twice was "the Command", with the 2nd version being CinemaScope. The 1.37:1 3-D version of "the Command" has never been shown in 3-D.

In recent years, the major studios have done work to preserve their 3-D elements. I think the only 3-D title that is completely lost is "Top Banana", which was shot in 3-D but released flat. Shortly after it was released, the ownership shifted hands, and that is likely when the other eye side was junked. There may be one or two other titles where some sections may be missing or damaged, but for the most part, the fifty or so Golden Age 3-D titles of the 1950's should be good.

HTF member Bob Furmanek would know for sure. Over the years he's helped rescue some of these titles from the brink of oblivion.

Originally Posted by Garysb

What was used for the flat versions of the 3D films? Were there separate versions of the film like "Oklahoma" which was filmed in both scope and Todd-AO or did they just use one of the negatives like the right eye? I had heard that for many of the 1950's 3D films such as Kiss Me Kate that negatives for both eyes no longer exist. There are some prints available but that is it.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
If you have a PS3 you can rent or buy The Mad Magician, The Three Stooges shorts Pardon my Backfire and Spooks!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Now would be the time to get these classics out. So far, the Blu-ray market has not been glutted with a vast number of modern (most of them likely to be terrible) 3-D films, so current purchasers of 3-D equipment are clammoring for software. If the studios wait too long, there will be a hundred or two 3-D blu-rays fighting for our business, and that is when classics are going to lose most of their appeal. People want more choices right now! Give them to them, studios, from your back catalogs! Offer HOUSE OF WAX and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and KISS ME KATE and HONDO, etc... just don't think of charging $40.00 for them, and they'll sell. I'd bet on it.

Originally Posted by Brian Kidd

If decent source materials exist, there is no good reason why a 3D BD version of classic 1950's or 1980's 3D films couldn't be released and look terrific in a modern digital theater or on a 3D TV. At this point, it would behoove the studios to see what materials they have available, if for no other reason than to extend the catalog of 3D BD's on the market. I think the main argument against such a thing happening for most of the films is that many of them just aren't good films. There are exceptions, of course, such as the aforementioned HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL "M" FOR MURDER, and KISS ME KATE. Even those films would only appeal to classic film buffs, sadly. I don't know that the expense of creating a new 3D master would be worth it for the studios. As for me, I'd love to be able to see 3D re-releases of classic films in the theaters. I'd go in a heartbeat. Sadly, I doubt it will happen.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Dick

Now would be the time to get these classics out. So far, the Blu-ray market has not been glutted with a vast number of modern (most of them likely to be terrible) 3-D films, so current purchasers of 3-D equipment are clammoring for software. If the studios wait too long, there will be a hundred or two 3-D blu-rays fighting for our business, and that is when classics are going to lose most of their appeal. People want more choices right now! Give them to them, studios, from your back catalogs! Offer HOUSE OF WAX and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and KISS ME KATE and HONDO, etc... just don't think of charging $40.00 for them, and they'll sell. I'd bet on it.

Unfortunately, that may result in rush jobs, which no one who wants these films, myself included, wants. Unless, of course, they have already started work on these (I heard rumors about Dial M For Murder coming this year, but nothing lately and nothing about whether it would be 3D).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Warners has quite a number of them among the films it controls. I'd buy every single one of them if released.

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Walker
The sensio process had a few of the old Universal titles available on their sensio only dvds. The field sequential bootleg market reformated some of these into FS dvds. Rock Hudson as Taza had a lovely image, but it would be nice to see a bluray release with at least one of the other 2D Cochise movies for context. [Taza was one of the Sensio 3d's dvds they were selling.] They were also selling stuff like jaws 3d and it came from outer space, the latter being lots of fun to just sit back and let the b/w 3d photography wash over you.

As to the other Jack Arnolds I've seen, I never took to Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3d, but I have always found the sequel to be well done.

No sign of Mad Magician for UK PS3 rental so far, dammit - I haven't seen that one.

Think all three audioscopiks via Pete Smith were anaglyph - read somewhere that Technicolor were employed for the correct colours to be printed, implying a single strip of red/green film.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by RolandL

If you have a PS3 you can rent or buy The Mad Magician, The Three Stooges shorts Pardon my Backfire and Spooks!

Where is that?

bonnermartin

Auditioning
Real Name
Wilfred Bonner Pentreath Martin
Originally Posted by GregK

The DVD release should have been in widescreen but wasn't (When are studios going to realize that the most common screen aspect ratio is 16:9 and produce for it) I have a copy of this DVD and enjoy it very much would love a Blu-ray 3D copy.

As a collector of Westerns, I have over a 1000 and have most of the 50's westerns that were shot in 3D and would buy a blu-ray 3D copy today if they were available . Some are digitally restored and for DVD's the quality is very good to excellent. Story line vary from fair to very good in my opinion.

Bonner Martin

New Zealand

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
For anyone in New York, Dial M for Murder is showing in 3D at the Film Forum. http://www.filmforum.org/films/dialm.html Doug

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

For anyone in New York, Dial M for Murder is showing in 3D at the Film Forum.

http://www.filmforum.org/films/dialm.html

Doug

I saw Dial M for Murder at the Film Forum years ago. They do dual projection ( two projectors at the same time) and the 3-D was excellent.

Roland

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks