What's new

3D 3D Blu-Rays (2.35x1) That Have Black Border Effects (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Does anyone have a list of titles that do this? I know that in my 100+ collection that there are at least 2 or 3 that have this really cool feature, but short of going through each one, I can't recall which ones have it.

You won't see this in CIH projection setups, but if played on a 16x9 screen (or LCD / plasma TV's), sometimes objects that are being propelled towards the audience will spill over into the black border area for a really enhanced 3D effect.

The only one I can think of at the moment is the aspect ratio change to 2.35x1 during the flying fish scene from LIFE OF PI.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Reed Grele said:
Does anyone have a list of titles that do this? I know that in my 100+ collection that there are at least 2 or 3 that have this really cool feature, but short of going through each one, I can't recall which ones have it.

You won't see this in CIH projection setups, but if played on a 16x9 screen (or LCD / plasma TV's), sometimes objects that are being propelled towards the audience will spill over into the black border area for a really enhanced 3D effect.

The only one I can think of at the moment is the aspect ratio change to 2.35x1 during the flying fish scene from LIFE OF PI.
Disney's kiddie film G-Force does a fantastic job with out of the frame/into the letterbox shots.

I noted in my Cars 3D review that Pixar did it in the closing credits side panel action, and it's very effective there, too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oz TheGreat and Powerful did this at least once during the opening section.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oz and Pi both did the same effect in the theater.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I can see how it could be done with films that are shot with multiple aspect ratios. But what about films that are 2.35x1 all the way through? I know I've seen a few that have this effect, but I just can't remember which ones.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
There's a great out of the letterbox gag at the end of "Amphibious"; it's almost worth sitting through the rest of it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Although not 3D the trailer for the new walking with Dinosaurs has effects that go into the black bars.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I saw a trailer for Walking with Dinosaurs a week or so back. I was like, "This looks gre..." (as soon as the dinosaurs talked it ended my excitement...)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I remember that effect in the theatrical release of 'Hugo', especially an early scene with snow falling, but I don't have a 3D set-up at home.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As already mentioned the end scene of Monsters Vs Aliens has a great moment involving the 2.35:1 bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks