What's new

$31,500.00 speakers??? (1 Viewer)

Raptor382

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Ok, ive been looking around at speakers, and there are some good ones out there. I can see spending a couple grand on speakers might get you some good sound. I could, somewhat, reasonably see, spending about $9,000 on a set of 7.1 speakers. However, I have to know, what could you possibly gain from spending $31,500.00 on a set of 5.1 speakers?

I was looking over at the Klipsch site. They list a set of speakers for this price. I am just wondering, what could you possibly get out of a set of $31,500.00 speakers that you couldnt get from a $9000 set of speakers?

That is not the most expensive set of speakers i've seen. I read websites that list speakers over $100,000, and some even upwards and close to $2,000,000 for a set of speakers. There has to be a certain point where you can't go any further. I mean, at some point, there has to be a spot where you just have the best speakers that have the best sound. Surely, it doesnt take $31000 - $2,000,000 to do that.

I was over at a place called www.higherhifi.com Where they list some super expensive equipment. Speakers in the $100,000 + range, and processors and amps from $45,000 +.

Anyway, this made me think. It would be interesting to have people post the most expensive home theater system they've ever seen.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been to the Eggleston factory and auditioned a pair of Savoys (MSRP $55,000 pair). They were powered by Boulder monoblocks that I think were about 500w each (MSRP $45,000 each). I have no idea on cabling, CD transport, digital to analog converter or the new record player they had but I'll bet all of that added up to about $100,000.

How did it sound? Absolutely amazing. I wasn't listening to speakers, I was listening to music.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
A friend of mine bought these speakers:

Now these where only $2999 a pair... They are AV123 speakers they company is now closed...

Raptor382

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
wow dmiller, those are some huge speakers LOL. However, $2,999 a pair??? That is cheap for what you are getting!

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Maybe that's why they went out of business. He waited over a year for them. Pretty crazy. I have listen to very expensive speakers but they will still sound like junk unless you have the right prepared room for them.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
David,

excellent observation.

The room will influence the sound by about 50%.

Meaning...if your room is not properly setup....it doesnt matter how much money you spend on the hardware.

FWIW,

Gregg

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by dmiller68

Maybe that's why they went out of business.
They went out of business because the owner would run an auction for a product with all of the proceeds going to charity. Then he would pocket all of the cash.

I'll bet those were some AV123 speakers designed by Danny Ritchie. He's worked with some different companies on array designs - http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=126

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess I'm out of the loop. I had no idea what was going on at AV123, and I live about 30 miles from Longmont, where they were based.

Real Name
Garrett Reid
It's the same concept as buying a Lamborghini or Ferrari, they do the same things as say a Honda or Toyota, but you're paying for the status.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by GarrettReid

It's the same concept as buying a Lamborghini or Ferrari, they do the same things as say a Honda or Toyota, but you're paying for the status.
Yes a Lambo does the same thing as a Honda but it does it much faster. If there wasn't a market for them, Lambos wouldn't exist.

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
Originally Posted by Raptor382

....what could you possibly gain from spending $31,500.00 on a set of 5.1 speakers?

BRAGGING RIGHTS.

That's about it. There are MANY options MUCH cheaper that will produce off-the-chain results in terms of both sound quality and quantity. Even some very exotic cabinet options available much cheaper (like the nOrh 9.0 which is in a solid marble cabinet).

Much of the spending in audio is driven by ego and the silly assumption that price equates to quality. Truly, bragging rights and ego scratch is the only thing you get dropping that much change on speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks