What's new

$3000 to replace 64" rear proj set - what would you do? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi group,

I may be replacing a 64" rear projection TV soon. The room has blackout shades, so light control is possible, although during the day I don't necessarily like to have to make it pitch-black to watch TV. This TV has a wide range of functions, everywhere from SD cable, digital cable, DVD's via Panny RP-82, HD via BrightHouse Pace box and PS2 and XBOX. Maybe a HTPC in the future.

If you had $3000 (max) to spend on a setup now or maybe sometime this year, what would you do?

Aaron

Kevin T

Screenwriter
buy a projector. my room isn't fully light controlled but if you get a projector with a decent lumen output, light control won't be all that important for television watching. hell, i've watch television on my projector with the lights on before and didn't feel like i was really missing anything.

kevin t

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
What projector is everyone buying in the $2000 range? I'm guessing $2000 cause the extra $1000 would be spent on a screen and cabling (as the DVD, receiver, tuner) etc are on opposites sides of the room as the projector would be.

Aaron

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
The Panasonic PT-L500U or Sanyo Z2 are both available in the sub-$2K range. Both are 16:9 720P native displays. Do a little reading over at projectorcentral.com. If I were you I would spend the other $1000 on a 32" CRT HDTV for daytime viewing and build a DIY screen for the PJ.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to snag a Sony HS20 for $2500-$2800 and then spend a little more on a Screen. If you do a DIY job then you will be around $3k. If you want a pull down you will go over budget but not that much.

I personally think it is well worth the extra money over the 500u and the Sanyo.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Once you go Projector, that's it! While my X1 isn't on the level of something you can get for $3K, it's turned into my primary viewing source. My Mits 55" HDTV is used for watching afternoon TV stuff, while the projector is used for everything else in HD and on DVD.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd say L500U or Z2 and possibly a 32" direct-view set for casual TV watching. Maybe even a drop down screen that slides in front of the TV for critical viewing. I have the L300U (1/4 HD version of the L500U) and love it, but for casual TV viewing i usually don't use it. I just can't justify using up precious bulb hours for something i'm not really getting in to. Either an inexpensive direct view set in the main room or a low end secondary system will really take alot of the load off the projector and save that precious bulb. It also makes movie-night, HDTV, and big-screen videogames seem that much more special! Keeping the wow factor can really help ward off upgrade-itis.

I'll be setting up a secondary system (about $800 total in TV, Speakers/Sub and Receiver) for my bedroom which I'll use for casual viewing and non 2-player video games, just to take the load off the projector, only using it for critical viewing like DVD and HDTV, as well as 2 player videogames. I mean ya can't have an 88" screen and not play some huge videogames on it!

Also, you can save alot of money by building your own screen, either by building a frame and stretching black out cloth over and painting, painting a sheet of Parkland Plastic, or even painting a screen right on to your wall. Using the right color to match your projector and prefferences often yeilds better results than comercial screens for a fraction of the cost. Also, cabling should be considered, but shouldn't be more than $300 or so. One long component video cable, S-Video cable, and DVI (whether you use it now or not, sooner or later you will) should really be enough. Check out Blue Jean Cables for very affordable broadcast quality cables made from the best materials out there.

Hope this helps :)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips, guys. I just don't know if a ~30" CRT is the ticket here, or not. The room is quite big. We sit approximately 15' (maybe more) from the TV location. It's great for the 64", but I think the 32" or whatever tube TV would be dwarfed in the room.

It sounds like, from what you guys are saying, that the front projectors are not the best for everyday TV viewing.

Aaron

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think it's more like people want conserve lamp life, though regular TV blown up probably doesn't look that great either. If it's the best it can be and still looks poor, why waste the lamp time? Although the general 3000 hour lamp life is still quite a bit if you consider viewing at just 4 hours a day. That's just over two years before needing a replacement at about 40 cents a day. Just throw change into a jar every day and you'll be set when the time comes!

Johnny_M

Second Unit
is there anything wrong with teh 64"? why dont you keep that for regular tv viewing and add a projector with a drop down screen to go in front of the tv for movies, etc.

Johnny

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
$3K to spend.

I am not a TV person, so what I would do is make my own screen and get the best $2700 16x9 wxga projector I could possibly get (with cables and diy mount) and dedicate the remaining $300 for a 27-32" TV for normal every day use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks