What's new

$3000 budget for projector and screen (1 Viewer)

Darren H

Second Unit
I'm a long-time member of this forum but only visit occasionally these days -- usually in moments like this, when I'm seeking feedback on hardware purchases. Nine years ago I outfitted my home theater with an NEC HT-1000 projector (4:3 native) and an 80"x60" Da-Lite motorized, tensioned screen. We sold that house three years ago, and I'm just now getting ready to put a projector into our new place. Also, in that three years we've had two kids, so I'm eager to get the most for my money. I've given myself a budget of around $3,000 for a ceiling-mounted projector and wall-mounted screen, knowing that installation and cabling will add to the cost. ROOM DETAILS 18'x16' 9' ceilings Viewing distance: 12'-13' Throw distance: 10'-17' The room is in a walk-out basement with two windows. The screen will lower into an area directly between the windows. The majority of my viewing will be in near- or total-darkness. The screen will drop in front of a 55" LCD TV that I'll use in daylight and for casual viewing. SCREEN PRIORITIES Wall-mounted Motorized Tensioned 16:9 ratio with a max width of 96" PROJECTOR PRIORITIES None, really, other than the best image for the money. I doubt I'll ever watch a 3D film in my house, so that's not at all a priority. I've been looking at the 92"x52" Da-Lite Tensioned Cosmpolitan Electrol, but I'm open to other suggestions. Based on reviews here and at projectorcentral, it looks like Epson and BenQ are making the best projectors in my price range ($1,500). It's several years old now, I know, but the Epson 8350 can be had for $1,000 and appears to be a bargain at that price. Any suggestions? How would you spend my money? Thanks.

73shark

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Taylor
I'm prejudiced but ViewSonic Pro8100 is a good buy if you can find one. A $5K PJ when released, can be had for under $1K now. If you want to know more, let me know.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Darren If considering an LCD...consider a newer unit that has convergence / alignment adjustments.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Your first decision should be LCD or DLP. Then we can start narrowing things down. Possibly the best deal out there right now is the new Benq W1070(DLP) for about $1,000.

Darren H

Second Unit
Thanks, guys. Honestly, I'm so amazed by the quality of projector that can now be had for $1,500, I don't have a strong preference for one technology over another. The more I read, the more I'm leaning toward the BenQ.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Using a 106" diagonal screen, the Benq W1070's throw distance(lens to screen) would need to be between 8' 10" to 11' 7".

73shark

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Taylor
You should test drive both LCD and DLP. Some folks experience a phenomenon known as RBE w/ a DLP.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
some folks experience a phenomenon known as convergence error and white field uniformity issues with lcd ;-) Each technology has + and -. Good idea on test driving both (but this is normally quite difficult to do).

Darren H

Second Unit
Thanks, again. I lived with an occasional rainbow effect when I had my HT1000. I don't expect perfection at this price point, but I appreciate the warnings. It's unlikely that I'll have a chance to compare the two.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Sam, that utube video isnt even ball park close to accurate. It is clearly a broken PJ. I have never seen any PJ EVER (after viewing thousands of them) that is even remotely close to that example.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Darren, the Benq W1070 reportedly has a 6X color wheel speed. It is very unlikely you will see the rainbow effect. If you do, you can return it. Just make sure of the return policy before you buy it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Gregg Loewen said:
Sam, that utube video isnt even ball park close to accurate. It is clearly a broken PJ. I have never seen any PJ EVER (after viewing thousands of them) that is even remotely close to that example.
You are right Gregg, I should have caveated that it is an extreme case. I've never seen it at all off a live PJ, but that video was the worst example I have ever seen of it anywhere. I assumed they were using a first generation PJ to get something that bad, with very fast moving scenes from Bourne... I'm not sure you could even make a video that shows what might be reasonably expected to appear off a modern PJ, it's mostly tamed now, right?

73shark

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Taylor
Gregg Loewen said:
some folks experience a phenomenon known as convergence error and white field uniformity issues with lcd ;-) Each technology has + and -. Good idea on test driving both (but this is normally quite difficult to do).
Sam Posten said:
Well, some people would prefer that they did not know, since once they were made aware of it they saw it =p So only read if you can live with the knowledge: http://www.projectorreviews.com/advice/HomeTheaterProjector-FAQs/ProjectorsRainbowEffect.php [video]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBurcnYx2g[/video]
I knew about RBE which is why I mentioned it. I was referring to Gregg's post re: convergence error and white field uniformity issues with lcd . I had never heard of that problem and was just wondering what it look like. I assume "convergence error" is where a pixel is not aligned correctly. Not sure about the other.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
pixels not being aligned. white not being white across the entire screen.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sometimes. I'm picking up my 5020 today, will let you know how it goes. Some owners report not being able to use the menus to get a satisfactory convergence, others have no issue. Never had any convergence issues on my 900u so wasn't a concern for me...

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
awesome Sam. Let us know what your thoughts are about it. Im really surprised you could get this PJ. They are sold out / on back order nationally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks