What's new

300 Spartans Canceled by Fox? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I had this on order with DVD Empire. I've been notified by them that Fox canceled this release. Can anyone confirm this elsewhere. Thanks.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I certainly hope not as I was eagerly anticipating this release. DVD Planet still has it up with a 5/20/03 release date and it even has the cover art up on its site.

Seems unlikely that Fox would cancel a title so close to its release date (next month). Worst case scenario, let's hope they've only pushed back the release date until further notice.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I also received that e-mail. This is the second title that Fox has cancelled (the Enemy Below was the other). I'm sure DVD Empire wouldn't send out the e-mail if it wasn't true. Fox hasn't said anything more about the Enemy Below so I think we'll be in the dark about this too.

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
If this is true, this is very disappointing news indeed. Fox, if it's being cancelled or delayed, please show some courtesy (or whatever you wish to call it) and make an official announcement soon regarding this before we all have our hopes dashed at the last minute. Folks, let's keep our fingers crossed.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Yep, got the same email from DVDEmpire about 300 Spartans. But I must give a thumbs up to DVDEmpire for not removing a coupon from my order with the cancellation. Since the title was cancelled it put my order total below the minimum purchase requirements for the coupon, but at least DVDEmpire made sure I didn't lose the discount. I know with many other stores it would have been lost with the cancelled title, and I would be on the phone arguing with customer service today.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
Hope you don't mind me asking;
Ever been too Susanville?

If not, pardon.
Still, enjoy those great Fallbrook avocados!

Bummed, about The 300 Spartans!:thumbsdown:

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
300 Spartans was delayed as there is a "problem" with the master that we are looking to fix. The restoration work done by the team here is so good on this title it drew attention to a specific issue that we are now looking at.Sorry to be vague.

The Enemy Below is a title we no longer have rights to!

Sorry for the confusion,

Peter Staddon

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the explanation Peter!

Bummed about the Enemy Below however. This title is coming out in Region 2 however, I wonder if that will be canceled too.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the explanation Peter!

Bummed about the Enemy Below however. This title is coming out in Region 2 however, I wonder if that will be canceled too.
Thanks Peter. That explanation is specific enough for me, thanks for the candor. I find it interesting that Fox is no longer the rights holder on "The Enemy Below". I wonder who has the R1 rights now????

I purchased a R2 Japanese version of the film from
CD Japan recently & it has Fox's name & logos all over it. Hmmmmmm! :confused:

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Brian,
Hope you don't mind me asking;
Ever been too Susanville?

If not, pardon.
Still, enjoy those great Fallbrook avocados!
Never been to Susanville, or know exactly where it is located. Why do you ask?

There are a lot of avocados here. Unfortunately we have only one tree on our property, and it doesn't produce much fruit. We usually have to buy them at the store if we want one.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks for the update Peter. 300 Spartans is very high on my pre-order list too - I'm glad it can safely stay there (for a while :) ).

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Why do I get the feeling that this title along with "The Hunters" has reverted to the estate of Dick Powell? Anyhow, at least we know the scoop on these two titles.

Peter,
Do you have an update on "The Grapes of Wrath" and "My Darling Clementine"?

Crawdaddy

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,
Thanks for the update! This is one of my priority movies to obtain on dvd. I hope it won't be delayed too long. Thank you Fox for bringing this movie out on dvd,I can hardly wait to get it.

Richard Ringenbach

Gerry A

Agent
Thanks for the update Peter! I'm glad that the title is still coming out. I've been intrigued by this title ever since comics god Frank Miller named 300 Spartans as the primary inspiration for his magnum opus "300" from Dark Horse. A great piece of work. Anybody interested in it ought to get the hardcover because it presents the story as it was meant to be seen....WIDESCREEN!! No shit!

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Peter, thanks a million for the (quick) response...and some people wonder why HTF holds Fox Studios in such high regard. While this is off topic, I just want to say that we don't take for granted the fact that you take the time to communicate directly with us. Please tell your superior(s) that we at HTF say you deserve a raise :)

More specifically, thanks for the good news regarding this "sword and sandal" classic...can't wait until the release. By the way, a bit of trivia/info regarding Richard Egan who played Spartan King Leonidas in the film. Although Egan was not an 'A list' (or great) actor, the IMDB states that he was very well educated as he attended and taught at Northwestern and received a Masters degree from Stanford. He also was known for assisting struggling actors in getting their big break...pretty cool, especially considering the fact that his own acting skills were somewhat limited.

Gerry A, from your comments it appears you've never seen The 300 Spartans; Citizen Kane it ain't :) , but expect to see an entertaining film with some pretty impressive battle scenes and a memorable score. And while Egan's skills as an actor may have been limited, he was perfect (in my opinion) as the noble Spartan king. Enjoy.

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
We have tracked down a new source for Grapes of Wrath and will be releasing a fully restored version in the next 12 months as part of the studio classics line up.

Peter Staddon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks