1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

3-strip Technicolor, year by year

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by benbess, Dec 1, 2012.

1. benbess

benbess Screenwriter

Ben Hufbauer
    A new HD transfer of The Picture of Dorian Gray has appeared on Amazon Prime, and it looks very good to me. Those Technicolor inserts of the painting are wonderful and increasingly horrifying. The painting was done by a very good painter, Ivan Albright, and it now is in Chicago's famed Art Institute: http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/93798 A good slow burn horror-suspense film, and one of the best Twilight Zone-like movies created before that show made miniature versions of this kind of thing a weekly event. [​IMG]

2. Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski Second Unit

Eric
    If "Dorian Gray" gets a Blu-Ray release I hope they include the MGM Passing Parade short subject "Grandpa Called it Art." It includes footage of Albright and his painting for the movie.

benbess likes this.
  3. benbess

benbess Screenwriter

Ben Hufbauer
    According to the web site of The Film Foundation, they have already done a restoration of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, a classic 3-strip Technicolor Western directed by John Ford and starring John Wayne. The cinematography for this film, by Winton Hoch, won an Oscar. I'm wondering why this hasn't been released on blu-ray, if a restoration has already been done. Is it perhaps an older restoration, that needs to be re-done for the blu-ray era?

http://www.film-foundation.org/common/movies/browse_films_v2.cfm?clientID=11004

RMajidi likes this.
  4. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

That's another perfectly marketable title that Warner has been dragging its feet on....

benbess likes this.
  5. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Premium
    Supporter

Steve
    We do have this very nice all-region Blu-ray of Ali-Baba and the Forty Thieves from Eureka:

[​IMG]

I'm a little surprised there have been such sporadic reviews and seemingly little discussion about this Blu-ray. Thankfully, I ignored most of the screen caps available which don't really do it justice in motion. I thought Universal/Eureka did a smashing job with this title overall...very clean and stable without being mauled by overprocessing. On balance, one of the better Technicolor transfers I've seen on Blu-ray, and one of my happiest blind buys last year. So no qualms about recommending it to forum members who might still be sitting on the fence.

RMajidi and Keith Cobby like this.
  6. Robin9

Robin9 Screenwriter

Robin
    It has been discussed in the International Blu-ray threads. Everyone there agrees that this a magnificent BRD.

7. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Premium
    Supporter

Steve
    Ahhhhh...still discovering the many nooks and crannies of this site. ;)

benbess likes this.
  8. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

Didn't see Barkley's of Broadway listed, wasn't that 3-strip?

benbess and lukejosephchung like this.
  9. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Yes indeed...Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers' only Technicolor feature production together!!!

Tony Bensley and benbess like this.
  10. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Screenwriter

Stanley
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-T8MVrw1L0&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

Tony Bensley, nara, MatthewA and 3 others like this.
  11. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

Wow. Amazing.

12. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Yes indeed. A great little short film. Thanks for posting....

13. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

14. fanddlover17

fanddlover17 New User

Jason
    Interesting list. So what exactly was the first film in 3-strip Technicolor, and was it released in 1932 or 1933?

15. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Disney's animated "Silly Symphony" short FLOWERS AND TREES is credited as the first three-strip production and it was released in late July 1932. Animated short subjects were initially targeted to show off the new system for two reasons. Firstly, film stock in 1932 was too slow to get an acceptable live-action image from the three-strip camera no matter how well the set was lit. Animated cels weren't actually in motion, so the exposure could be set at whatever was necessary to get an acceptable image. Secondly, Technicolor only converted one of its lines to process three-strip films that year (they did it by pairing two existing two-color lines end to end, essentially knocking out two lines at a time they were still processing two-color release prints) so they couldn't handle large amounts of three color prints and 10-20 minute shorts were ideal in that the processing of a completed print "moved" faster.

Disney released three-strip Silly Symphonies at a rate of about one a month after that. The first "live-action" three strip Technicolor material can be seen in the finale of 1934's THE CAT AND THE FIDDLE (MGM) released in February of that year.

benbess and Josh Steinberg like this.
  16. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Wow what great news! It seems as though an actual original Technicolor dye transfer print of the elusive DANCING PIRATE (1936) has been unearthed in, I think, Australia.

The third three-strip Technicolor feature in release following BECKY SHARP and TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE, PIRATE laid an egg at the box office and was rarely revived over the years. Like BECKY SHARP it was sold to Astor Pictures in the early 1940's and reissued in two-color Cinecolor release prints. The original negatives were neglected over the years and the title fell into the public domain. Before 2012, it was believed that DANCING PIRATE existed only in a black and white TV print. Starting around 2012, it also began appearing in its Cinecolor version, but neither version gave solid hints as to what it must have looked like in its original form.

According to this post

:

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20355

the title was undergoing an HD scan as of last summer in preparation for a blu-ray release with BECKY SHARP.

a small clip of the newly discovered print was also uploaded to youtube:

If you've ever tried to sit through a home video version of this you'll realize what a revelation this is. It's beautiful!

The movie itself is pretty terrible (it bombed for a reason) but maybe seeing it in a watchable form will help it. I hope this is actually happening!!

RMajidi, Tony Bensley, JoelA and 4 others like this.
  17. ajabrams

ajabrams Second Unit

Alan Abrams

18. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Thanks AJ and I apologize as I was conflating quotes from two different sources. Though I mis-credited it to the nitrateville post, the blu-ray mention is actually from Alexander Kogan's description of the clip he released to youtube:

DANCING PIRATE (1936) was the world's first 3-Strip Technicolor musical feature movie. Until 2015, the only versions available were Cinecolor, a washed-out version made from only two of the 3 original color negatives. FATW, which has an exclusive license for the Rodgers and Hart music in the soundtrack, in 2015 located the only known original nitrate 35mm release print and has digitally mastered it. This snippet illustrates the richness of the original color pallette. We plan to release it in BluRay together with its companion picture, BECKY SHARP (1935), the first 3-strip Technicolor feature film.

19. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

DFurr and Will Krupp like this.
  20. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Thanks for the link Mr Furmanek, that's great!!