What's new

3-strip Technicolor, year by year (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Here's one of the films Fox threw in the trash. Never saw it, and it's probably not a very good film, but not worthy of the dumpster either....Of course some prints probably still exist.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This may be a true treasure that was trashed....Amazing how many flicks Fox did with Technicolor this year.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The 3-strip for this DeMille epic probably exists in Universal's vault, since Paramount sold many of their early titles to them long ago. I've not seen this film, but have heard it's only so-so:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
benbess said:
Here's one of the films Fox threw in the trash. Never saw it, and it's probably not a very good film, but not worthy of the dumpster either....Of course some prints probably still exist.
Original prints should survive on all but the early safety based variety, c. 1950-52.
Nitrates should be fine.
RAH

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Didn't Fox junk the negative of the opening scenes with the children at home (cut when the film was a disaster to get to the magical stuff earlier)? The DVD now presents those in sepia, but this film wasn't designed like The Wizard of Oz to open in sepia and then go to color once the children begin their fantasy, was it?

I've never quite understood what the truth is about those now-opening scenes in sepia.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
THIEF would be a great BD. I'd really like to see them do Blu-rays of TALES OF HOFFMAN and JULIET OF THE SPIRITS.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I'm waiting patiently with fingers crossed for Tales of Hoffman -- not too longer, please! It deserves to be up there with the other Powell/Pressburger Technicolor classics....

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Technicolor movies of 1941:
Aloma of the South Seas
Bahama Passage
Belle Star
Billy the Kid
Blood and Sand
Blossoms in the Dust
Dive Bomber
Fiesta
Louisiana Purchase
Moon Over Miami
The Reluctant Dragon
The Shepherd of the Hills
Smilin' Through
That Night in Rio
Virginia
Week-End in Havana
Western Union

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The Shepherd of the Hills stars John Wayne, got good reviews, and so would seem to be a possibility for blu. This Paramount film is probably now owned by Universal, however, and so....

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"Technicolor's Towering Triumph"? Blossoms in the Dust, starring Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon. Directed by Mervyn LeRoy.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Technicolor movies of 1942:
Arabian Nights
Beyond the Blue Horizon
The Black Swan
Captains of the Clouds
Jungle Book
The Moon and Sixpence
My Gal Sal
Reap the Wild Wind
Springtime in the Rockies
To the Shores of Tripoli
Somehow this site seems to leave out all of the Disney movies. We've had so far on blu-ray all of them, I think, including Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, and Bambi. They all look amazing, although as RAH and others have said they don't look film-like, but instead "perfect."

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Cecil B. DeMille's Reap the Wild Wind from 1942 has the stars, entertainment, and production values to make it worthy of the blu-ray treatment imho. It's one of DeMille's best, which might be seen as a back handed compliment, but I think when he was on his game he made some highly entertaining films....

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
For 1943 there are, yet again, a distressing number of Fox titles made in Technicolor. For the list, see the link in the first post. I assume at least "Blimp" is worthy, although I wonder at the condition of the elements. This remake of Phantom probably isn't worthy, but it sounds interesting. It's more of a musical than horror take on the topic, the Lon Chaney version being more true to the book....

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
benbess said:
For 1943 there are, yet again, a distressing number of Fox titles made in Technicolor. For the list, see the link in the first post. I assume at least "Blimp" is worthy, although I wonder at the condition of the elements. This remake of Phantom probably isn't worthy, but it sounds interesting. It's more of a musical than horror take on the topic, the Lon Chaney version being more true to the book....
TLaDoCBlimp is a masterpiece, and one of the finest three-strips created.
RAH

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
And we're in luck! Apparently The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp has already been completely restored, and is already for sale on blu-ray at amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084Z5BYI/papas-21
and not that it's the best source, but here's what wikipedia says about the restoration of this title, which I assume will be released here at some point:
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp underwent a complete restoration similar to that performed on The Red Shoes. The fundraising was spearheaded by Martin Scorsese and his long-time editor, Thelma Schoonmaker, also Michael Powell's widow. Restoration work was completed by the Academy Film Archive in association with the BFI, ITV Studios Global Entertainment Ltd. (the current copyright holders), and The Film Foundation, with funding provided by The Material World Charitable Foundation, the Louis B. Mayer Foundation, Cinema per Roma Foundation, and The Film Foundation. The restored version premièred in New York on 6 November 2011, followed by a screening in London on 30 November.
The restored film is being shown around the world[6] and was released on DVD & Blu-ray on 22 October 2012.[7]

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think Claude Rains makes a splendid Phantom. Some people may not like the musical interludes with Nelson Eddy, but they've never bothered me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks