What's new

3 Digital Audio inputs on Onkyo 506 (1 Viewer)

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Hi,

My roommate just got an Onkyo 506, and I'm setting it up for him. Since it only has HDMI passthrough, I need to get the sound to the receiver somehow other than HDMI.

I have chosen optical, which is great, but it only has 2 optical inputs. I have 3 devices which need digital audio output (Cable Box, PS3, Apple TV).

What should I use for the third input? I need to get Dolby Digital from everything and DTS from the PS3, so what are my options here? I see there are "Coaxial digital in" slots that look like component cables. What are those, and do my devices have such outputs? Do they do the same job as optical?

Thanks for all your help,

Matt

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Coaxial Digital is the same as Optical. In fact, most people prefer coax because the cable (and connection) isn't as fragile as optical. Most devices have both digital and coax outputs so I'm sure one of the three must have it. There are specific digital coaxial cables (usually color coded in orange) but you can use a video cable (the yellow one) or a subwoofer cable (purple), but don't use the red or white audio cable.

On a side note, some dedicated cd players only have coaxial output, not optical.

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for your response, Gene.

That answers my question perfectly. And, I'm in luck because my cable box has a digital coaxial audio output!

Thanks again,

Matt

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I believe so. It has to be rated at 75 ohms and I'm pretty sure (but not positive) component cables are. Audio cables are not.

Nick

Second Unit
I almost purchase this receiver and glad that I didn't because I don't want just pass through HDMI. I want to go with less cable as much as possible.
I always thought that to get 7.1 sound you have to connect it via HDMI cable only. Is the 7.1 sound on this a virtual only not real 7.1?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The 506 has 7.1 multi-channel analog inputs, so it is capable of discreet 7.1 surround. You won't get 7.1 from the PS3, because it doesn't have the 7.1 analog outputs, and this receiver doesn't take audio from HDMI at all.

If you want 7.1 audio from BD movies, you'll need something like the Sony BDP-S550 or Panasonic BD55 blu ray players. They decode all the HD audio formats internally, and sends the signal out over the 7.1 multi-channel analog outputs. With a PS3 for blu ray, he should have gotten the Onkyo 606, instead of the 506.

HTStu

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart
I'm new to HT and trying to learn.

In the original post, Matt wrote, "Since it only has HDMI passthrough, I need to get the sound to the receiver somehow other than HDMI."

If a component has HDMI outputs (ie: Blu-Ray player) does it send both the audio and video through the HDMI cable?

I'm sorry to interrupt, but I am contemplating the purchase of a Samsung Blu-Ray player and an Onkyo A/V Receiver. I was hoping the connection between the two would be one HDMI cable.

Stuart

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes, but with some, I think you have to tell it to, in the setup menus.
You can elect to send audio by HDMI, optical, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks