What's new

3-D movies or "How Hollywood figured out to suck more money out of moviegoers" (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by DaveF

My point, if missed, is there's no need to go hyperbolic over possible problems for those who can't enjoy 3D because of physical limitation. This has been an issue since the dawn of moving pictures, and we've fumbled our way through it.

And if you want to go hyperbolic, you should advocate for the elimination of all movies, since the blind can't enjoy any of it. And then there's the tragic deaf-mute...

A common name for this rhetorical tactic is "parading the horribles". It usually comes out when people don't have any better argument to advance.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

A common name for this rhetorical tactic is "parading the horribles". It usually comes out when people don't have any better argument to advance.

Yes well, the same could be said for the supporters of the 3D format, they're not convincing me of anything with their arguments, either.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Jackass filmed in 3-D? Not the end of the world. I draw the line at...oh wait, that really is tacky and pointless. It is the epitome and very definition of tastelessness that will only be topped by reality shows being filmed in 3-D and touted as a reason to buy an overpriced 3-D TV. What's to stop people from going back and converting old movies to the format and re-releasing them to theaters at $16 a pop? Howard the Duck 3-D anyone?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

Yes well, the same could be said for the supporters of the 3D format, they're not convincing me of anything with their arguments, either.
No, you couldn't. Because they're not parading these "horribles", except in mockery to show how silly some of the "con" arguments are. They are guilty of other sins, but not this one :)

The argument for it by viewers is, "I enjoy it."

The argument against it by viewers is, "I don't enjoy it."

That's all there is. But that doesn't make for an interesting thread, so it quickly becomes about argumentative theatrics and hysterics and analogies and so on.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

I'd just rather they had an unblurred version! Think of the possibilities -- a PG version on broadcast, but unblurred with glasses on.

Someone invent this right now!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Originally Posted by DaveF

I just know I'm going to get shit for this because you guys have an answer for everything but I don't think it's so wrong to consider how this trend will affect others (slaps head) especially when it looks as if it will get harder and harder to find 2D presentations of films if this trend sticks around and continues growing in the coming years.

Why is it so silly to consider that it might become a problem? Yes it's been stated that one can easily seek out 2d presentations but that's right now, what about 2-3 years from now? Can you say with absolute certainty that it will be so easy then?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Because if you were sincerely concerned about such things, you'd have been crying out against the use of sound for the Deaf who can't hear it; and crying out against the movies themselves for the Blind can't see them. And the whole shebang for the Blind and Deaf can't enjoy any of it except the rumble of the loudest bass.

Or they relegated to simply not being part of society, unlike your friend who merely can't watch 3D?

No, this is a pointless argument against 3D as a whole. As we've done for the Deaf, we have special sub-titled showings. (The blind are still screwed, as far as I know.) And should 3D take hold as other technologies have before it, there can still be flat showings for those who can't enjoy it.

As I said, all the arguments distill to:

"I like it." and "I don't like it"

Anything else is just jabbering on the internet -- of which I'm quite the participant :)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Ok, I'm one of those special people who can't see in 3D so, really, my thoughts might not matter.

I can understand the appeal of 3D but only if the film was filmed in stereoscope (ie Avatar, the new Resident Evil, etc). When you start converting films into 3D is where it becomes gimmick and these should be eliminated. To echo the previous arguing: Should Hitchcock's Psycho be converted to 3D to make it better? No. It wasn't filmed for 3D so it shouldn't be converted to 'make it better.' Same argument goes for colorizing films. Just because it can be doesn't mean it should.

Was Alice in Wonderland or Clash of the Titans filmed for 3D presentation or were they post-converted. I believe it was the latter.

Personally, if I could see 3D I think I would only go see those movies specifically made in stereoscope, just like I would only go see an IMAX Hollywood film if it were filmed with IMAX cameras (Dark Knight). A blown-up standard filmed movie is as pointless as a colorized black and white or a mono-scopic filmed movie converted to 3D.

Changing the subject slightly -- how much 3D product is out on store shelves? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me the only 3D blu rays that are out there come only as exclusives when you buy a new tv.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

Originally Posted by Paul D G 

Was Alice in Wonderland or Clash of the Titans filmed for 3D presentation or were they post-converted.  I believe it was the latter.

Alice was planned to be shot in 3D, but then Burton didn't want to deal with the hassle of a 3D camera rig, so he shot it in 2D and had it processed for 3D.  But at least they knew it was going to be 3D when it was made -- Clash wasn't shot with 3D in mind -- the studio decided to convert it to 3D to cash in after it was completed.

But yes, AFAIC, this kind of 3D processing of 2D material is no better than colorization of B&W films.  

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks