What's new

3D 3-D glasses comparison POLAR vs. CENTER (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
part 1:
i have both of POLAR EXPRESS and JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH on Blu-ray. The glasses for each movie are quite different. On EXPRESS the red is covering the left eye and the right eye has a blue (yes i did spell it correctly!) "lens"; and on JOURNEY, the red covers the right eye and the left has a green "lens." Anyone know why there would be a difference for the two movies.
part 2.
DLP monitors appear to be the way of viewing future (distant future) home video 3-D. Does any know if LCD might also work....i am in the process of looking at new TV's and wondering what's up.
Thanks for the help.
b

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan
Maybe encoded differently? I prefer the clear glasses for 3D. The one's that they give out at a DLP 3D movie at theater. If their the colored glasses I simply won't watch it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
They are different styles of anaglyphic encoding. There is a third anaglyhic method which was used recently for the Monsters vs. Aliens Super Bowl ad and the recent 3-D episode of Chuck, which used yellow and blue filters (ColorCode 3-D). The consensus seems to be that anaglyphic is lame, but that the version used for J2TCOE was better than The Polar Express. Hopefully the Blu-Ray Forum will standardise a 3-D spec soon, as BD supports dual 1080p streams.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have posted my comparisons of these two DVD's in other threads, but I'll repeat them here:

I own a 46" Sony Bravia LCD. POLAR EXPRESS, which was not originally intended to be a 3-D film, looks pretty crappy to my mind. Very few shots have a really good sense of depth - the red and blue separations are very distracting and only occasionally converge. Not recommended. On the other hand, JOURNEY, filmed in 3-D (albeit not in analglyph) works quite well. I would even venture that about 75% of the DVD contains effective depth effects. We all know that the color of the original Polarized images is drained by the red/blue glasses; accepting that, this is a decent and enjoyable (and vacuous) adventure with some truly startling 3-D effects. Recommended.

Hope that helps.

GregK

Screenwriter
Consider the anaglyph formats as "2nd rate 3-D options" until a specific stereoscopic standard is decided upon. There are already advanced 3-D video formats out there that work quite well. (Sensio, field & frame sequential, dual stream, etc) But these advanced formats require 3-D ready displays and hardware. Hence the need for one advanced 3-D video format, which is why SMPTE and the CEA are currently looking at all of the formats and will then recommend a 3-D video standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks