What's new

3D 3-D for Blu-ray Is Just Around the Corner (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I wonder which 3-D system they will be using? - http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3249 and http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-3d-blu-ray-coming-in-2010-339297894.htm

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, if we need HDMI 1.4 it goes without saying we are going to need new displays and players. I wish they would just forget about the 3D stuff- it just confuses an even confused consumer HD market even more.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Not interested. I wouldn't even remotely consider upgrading my very expensive components(60" KURO Elite and Oppo BDP-83) just for the gimmick of 3D. Sorry, Jim Cameron and whoever else is pushing this standard, but I won't be buying in.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm not a fan of 3D, I won't even bother much with it in theaters (I'll see 2D over 3D), just not that impressed with it and it's too straining on the eyes. So, no, I won't upgrade anything.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

^ Have you seen a new movie in 3-D? I get a headache fairly quickly from older 3-D movies but I have yet to get even the slightest headache from current 3-D movies.
Yes, I have seen a new movie in 3D and I still get headaches from the ones that require you to wear the polarized glasses (especially the IMAX 3D showings). After a 2hr+ movie in 3D I have a raging headache.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sounds great. I want it. It'll be a decade before it's reasonably available, affordable, and worthwhile.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Eric F

Yes, I have seen a new movie in 3D and I still get headaches from the ones that require you to wear the polarized glasses (especially the IMAX 3D showings). After a 2hr+ movie in 3D I have a raging headache.
You're the first person that I've read that has had a problem with it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We have seen many 3D demonstrations over the years and
I will agree with Mr. Posten that the Panasonic technology by
far is the best of them all.

I can’t wait until the technology becomes mainstream. Some
of you have no idea how much more enjoyable it is to sit in
your home and watch a film in quality 3D. This isn't that cheesy
stuff with the cardboard glasses.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

This isn't that cheesy
stuff with the cardboard glasses.
But it's stuff with bulky plastic glasses. It remains to be seen whether people will watch TV with the specialized, polarized-shutter glasses. I would for favorite shows e.g. BSG. But I'm a TV nut. I have a hard time envisioning the vast majority of my friends and family wearing these.

I doubt this will ever be more than a niche market for speciality programming.

But I still want it and hope for a quick and affordable marketing.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
You're the first person that I've read that has had a problem with it.
Better make that two. I saw "Coraline" and "Up" in 3D and have no desire to see another 3D presentation whatsoever. The picture was dim and washed out compared to standard film or digital projection, and it gave me a headache at about the one hour mark.

I was around for the second 3D wave in the 80s, and from what I remember, it's no better now than it was then.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

To be honest, the glasses were never a distraction. They
never felt heavy on the face. And you know what? If this
method right now produces the best 3D that I have seen
(and I have seen many demos from companies like Dalite
and Mitsubishi), then I welcome the glasses.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Dave,

To be honest, the glasses were never a distraction. They
never felt heavy on the face. And you know what? If this
method right now produces the best 3D that I have seen
(and I have seen many demos from companies like Dalite
and Mitsubishi), then I welcome the glasses.
That's good to hear. Knowing the technology behind them, they have to be bulkier than the simple polarized glasses used at the movie theaters. But I haven't worn them.

But I look at the slow shift to HD, and glacial shift to Blu Ray, and think that significant home use of 3D is a long ways off. Even for myself, I bought a 50" plasma and 40" LCD this year, a large 3D-capable set is 5 years off.

But I love the recent crush of 3D movies at the theaters, and think it's not a passing fad, but the new normal. The prospect of 3D at home is very cool. And I would watch my favorite TV in 3D, like Lost, BSG, Heroes, etc.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Worth

I was around for the second 3D wave in the 80s, and from what I remember, it's no better now than it was then.
3D in the 80s was analyglyph, right? Red / Blue paper / plastic throwaway glasses?

There's no comparison between "old" 3D and "new" 3D using polarized glasses. It's unfortunate that 3D gives you headaches. That's intrinsic to the mechanism, though I understand the filming process is better accounting for the physiology and decreasing the eyestrain for viewers.

Roger Ebert also has said he dislikes the 3D systems as it reduces the vibrancy of the image. I can't argue artistic taste there. But it's "simply" a technical problem requiring brighter projection to compensate.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I said the same thing until I saw Panasonic's demo last year. This ain't yo daddy's 3D!

I couldn't have said it better. It was amazing. After the glasses had been on your face for 10 seconds you forgot they were there. I had always thought 3D was a gimmick until this demo. Unlike the current 3D BD content the demo was vibrant, full of color and did not give me a headache. Even clips that you wouldn't of though would benefit from 3D did, like the opening ceremony of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

The Pansonic demo used their 103" Plasma TV with a custom modifed BD50 BD player using the technology they are hoping becomes the 3D BD standard.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by DaveF

3D in the 80s was analyglyph, right? Red / Blue paper / plastic throwaway glasses?

There's no comparison between "old" 3D and "new" 3D using polarized glasses. It's unfortunate that 3D gives you headaches. That's intrinsic to the mechanism, though I understand the filming process is better accounting for the physiology and decreasing the eyestrain for viewers.

Roger Ebert also has said he dislikes the 3D systems as it reduces the vibrancy of the image. I can't argue artistic taste there. But it's "simply" a technical problem requiring brighter projection to compensate.
3D in the 80s used polarized glasses, as did the majority of 3D presentations in the 1950s. The red and blue system was an alternative for small theaters that couldn't afford the polarized system. It was never the cutting edge. The polarized system has been around for quite a while.

Doug

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I guessed I lived in a small town. I never saw polarized glasses in the theaters, except for Disney's "Captain Eo". Jaws 3D and such were all cheap anaglyph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks