1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack connection, PC to TV connection

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Count Chocula!, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Count Chocula!

Count Chocula! Active Member

Hi everybody,
    I'm attempting to feed my Windows Media Center 7 signal out through my TV. I've bought (and subsequently sold) a WMC extender but, unfortunately, this was pretty much useless in my house. The walls are too thick for a decent wireless signal to be transmitted and so using it became increasingly frustrating. A wired connection through the extender also won't work due to the fact I have to keep my wireless router on a different floor due to a lack of phone sockets!
    Anyway, I'm now trying to go for a manual connection using the following ports:
    PC: VGA connection and 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.

TV: VGA connection 3.5mm stereo audio in jack.
    Unfortunately, I'm having a major problem with my 3.5mm stereo jack to 3.5mm stereo jack connection. The audio seems to come through the TV channel fine, except there's quite a lot of interference. The interference comes in the form of quite a loud hum which makes it near impossible to watch anything comfortably on it.
    Has any idea what this problem might be? I've had a play around with different audio levels on both the TV and PC, but to no avail. Can this problem be fixed or is it a fault with the TV set which can't be ammended?
    Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if I've missed something obvious!