What's new

2oth Century-Fox movies still MIA on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ScottGros117

Agent
Real Name
Scott Gros
What's the situation on the Studio Classics series? Has Fox officially discontinued it?
Perhaps it's on hold to address staff issues regarding the color grading on The King and I and Carousel BDs.

I mean the staff could be getting educated on how to produce period accurate color, right?

Regardless, Fox is falling severely behind, and I'm losing patience due to a lack of official announcements.

The films I think of which should be released are anything featuring Gregory Peck like
Keys of the Kingdom
The Gunfighter
David and Bathsheba
The Snows of Kilimanjaro
The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit
The Bravados

War films like
The Enemy Below
Sink the Bismarck!
Halls of Montezuma

and countless others like
In Old Chicago (roadshow cut, please!)
The Return of Frank James
The Mark of Zorro
The Ox-Bow Incident
Kiss of Death
Dragonwyck
MY DARLING CLEMENTINE
Captain From Castile
Garden of Evil
A Man Called Peter
The Long, Hot Summer
The Longest Day (REMASTERED EDITION)

just to name a few...

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I think Fox is disappointed by the sales of the Classic series and that's why there are no more announcements. The low sales are evidenced by that (lack of announcements for 4 months now) and having them bundled up in triple packs for the same price of a single movie, only a few months after they were released originally. Also Fox Connect has had a few half off sales. The 2 Kazan at Fox sets were on sale, 4 movies per set at $20, a bargain and all classics with 2 movies in each set exclusive to that set. I even commented about it in the Elia Kazan thread but nobody responded. I mean, if interest is that low in a forum like this then what does that say about interest as a whole for the sake of sales? I guess people would rather support TT and pay $30 for their releases, which for the most part are lessor movies (as they get the movies Fox doesn't want to bother with). Go figure.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
I think Fox is disappointed by the sales of the Classic series and that's why there are no more announcements. The low sales are evidenced by that (lack of announcements for 4 months now) and having them bundled up in triple packs for the same price of a single movie, only a few months after they were released originally. Also Fox Connect has had a few half off sales. The 2 Kazan at Fox sets were on sale, 4 movies per set at $20, a bargain and all classics with 2 movies in each set exclusive to that set. I even commented about it in the Elia Kazan thread but nobody responded. I mean, if interest is that low in a forum like this then what does that say about interest as a whole for the sake of sales? I guess people would rather support TT and pay $30 for their releases, which for the most part are lessor movies (as they get the movies Fox doesn't want to bother with). Go figure.
How do you know if interest is low on this forum? Who's to say that this forum membership didn't buy a good portion of those Fox Connect units sold? Since, there isn't a brick and mortar retail base to support those releases, I'm willing to bet that several HTF members have bought those releases.

What's today, pick on the HTF Membership Day? This is the second post today that is trying to question our passion for classic films. Aren't we all in this together with our love for classic films and hoping and wishing more of them are released on BD? We shouldn't be divisive in our comments about each other.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Geez take a chill pill. Sorry if you took my comment as an offense to the forum. You really seem to have a really strong negative reaction with many of my posts, so for my sake I have decided to hide your posts going forward. I don't need the aggravation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
Geez take a chill pill. Sorry if you took my comment as an offense to the forum. You really seem to have a really strong negative reaction with many of my posts, so for my sake I have decided to hide your posts going forward. I don't need the aggravation.
You see that's it, you think I'm against you because I disagree with some of your posts. I'm not against you, but I will stick up for this membership because it's a great group of people to talk film with even though, we disagree a lot with each other.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Wanted to add that my comment "in a forum like this" was meant in the best way. This forum, IMO, is second to none regarding member knowledge and appreciation of classic movies (and movies in general) as well as many other aspects of HT, and I feel privileged to be a small part of it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
Wanted to add that my comment "in a forum like this" was meant in the best way. This forum, IMO, is second to none regarding member knowledge and appreciation of classic movies (and movies in general) as well as many other aspects of HT, and I feel privileged to be a small part of it.
And I want to add that I'm glad you're a part of this membership. We might disagree on certain topics, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate your contributions to the discussions that take place here. Also, I want to publicly apologize to you if you think I have something personally against you. The nature of making our comments in this type of format causes us to miss the face to face communication. At times, it means posted comments without such interaction can easily be misconstrued or not properly conveyed in the manner/vain they were meant to be presented.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My post in response to bruceames hasn't saved but I agree with his Post 43 about possible low sales of classic films and Fox in particular. Looking at their Film Noir series they have released Laura and Panic in the Streets but if sales had been brisk they would surely have released other titles by now. They have given TT Leave Her to Heaven which seems to me a good indicator that they no longer expect these types of catalogue films to sell in great numbers. The demographics are ageing and many consumers no longer want to re-purchase titles on new formats. His point about few posts in response to these titles is representative of the enthusiasm for them. There are plenty of posts for every Star Wars and comic book film threads.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
My post in response to bruceames hasn't saved but I agree with his Post 43 about possible low sales of classic films and Fox in particular. Looking at their Film Noir series they have released Laura and Panic in the Streets but if sales had been brisk they would surely have released other titles by now. They have given TT Leave Her to Heaven which seems to me a good indicator that they no longer expect these types of catalogue films to sell in great numbers. The demographics are ageing and many consumers no longer want to re-purchase titles on new formats. His point about few posts in response to these titles is representative of the enthusiasm for them. There are plenty of posts for every Star Wars and comic book film threads.
If you look at the Laura and Leave Her to Heaven threads there are plenty of replies in them. Sure, they might not be on the level of Star Wars and such, but there is heavy interest in those titles, at least, on this forum.

SS NORMANDIE

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
I'd enjoy the opportunity to purchase the following 20th Century-Fox films on Blu Ray:

Great Expectations - 1998
The Little Princess - 1939
The Blue Bird - 1940
The Best of Everything - 1959
Three Coins in the Fountain - 1954
Peyton Place - 1957
Anastasia - 1956
The Rose - 1979

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
UK Eureka will be releasing on March 11th a Blu-ray release of one of my favorite WWII films Sink the Bismarck. I know there is a German Blu-ray out there so it will be interesting on how this new release will look.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I've mentioned it before in another thread, but Deadfall and the Magus would be most welcome on bluray. They were both part of the Cinema Classics Collection on DVD about 10 years back. Both were great Michael Caine films. I'd love to see TT get a hold of one or both of them.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I've mentioned it before in another thread, but Deadfall and the Magus would be most welcome on bluray. They were both part of the Cinema Classics Collection on DVD about 10 years back. Both were great Michael Caine films. I'd love to see TT get a hold of one or both of them.
Get yourself a region-free player - they're both available in the UK.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
2351443-612x612.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks