What's new

2nd SVS PB12/plus 2 or JL Audio Fathom 113 (1 Viewer)

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Im soon to be in a new dedicated theater and I want the bass to felt and to hit nice and deep. I currently run a PB 12 Plus 2 in a smaller room and it does an exceptional job and then some. The new room will be 20x20 with ceilings at 8 feet. I definitely want to add a second sub to sort of balance everything out. I was wondering if I should go with the JL Audio Fathom 113 or should I just add a 2nd PB 12 Plus 2. I've been reading rave reviews over the new JL Audio, has anyone compare the two? The rest of the system consists 126 inch Carada, JVC HD1 front PJ, Polk Audio RTi12s, CSi5, Rti4s, FXi3s. Pre/Pro is Sony 7100ES, and speakers are driven by Outlaw M2200 mono amps. Any advise would prove helpful.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
They say two heads are better than one... :)

If I had the space and opportunity to run dual subs I'd do so in a heartbeat, especially in a spot that big.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
I guess it just depends on "how much" bass you want. The F113 looks (spec wise) and from what others have said to be a superior sub to the PB12/plus 2, however it also costs much more. You really don't have a huge room, so "if it was me" I'd just buy another SVS and use the extra $$ on room treatments or bass shakers if you really want to feel the bass.

If you are really serious about bass and have the room..... http://thesoundbroker.com/Danley.htm one DTS-20 should do better than 2 SVS anything as long as the room isn't messed up. You could sell your current SVS, buy an amp (crown, QSC etc) for the DTS-20 and spend as much (or probably less) than a f113 with tons more performance, however it's the size of a basketball player's coffin and isn't for the faint of heart, Sandman at avsforum broke a chandelier in his house with one.

Another cheaper (compared to f113), but still big, option is http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...roducts_id=408

But once again, another SVS is probably enough for most people. The f113 is an amazing sub for it's size, but it is expensive and you can get better performance (for the price) if size is of no concern.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
With a square room you definitely want to put a significant amount of money toward room treatments. Square rooms can be pretty brutal to long bass waves.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I will be hearing a F112 this weekend.

As far as better performance, you must be talking about output, because from I have been reading about the Fathoms, the sound quality, along with output, is what sets it apart.

That said, SethH is right....a square room makes things real tough.

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
I have never been a big JL audio fan even when I was into my car audio days. I would ether stick with SVS or check out TCsound and wait for their new Sub or bust out a DYI sub "they have a forum with plans on how to build a HT sub that would CRUSH the JL" But then again that is my opinion..

Shannon

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith

The sound quality and output of the Fathoms are awesome, I'm not downplaying that at all, but what I was referring to was that he can get better performance (output and sound quality) if he doesn't care so much on how big the sub is. Purchasing a F113 for at least $3k and selling his current SVS is going to get him at least $3800 I'd say, and that's enough to buy a DTS-20 with a good Crown amp which will do over 120db at 20hz and the sound quality is amazing as well. The Fathoms are amazing subs for their size, but subs like the DTS-20 are in another league altogether.

Once again, these are just options and you gotta pick which one is the best for you.

subsound

Auditioning
Real Name
kevin bray
which is better? the pb12-plus/2 or the pb13-ultra? if anyone has had any experiences comparing these two subs i'd love to hear some feedback.

thanks.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
The Plus/2 in the 20 Hz tune has about the same max output capability as the PB13U. The two trade places depending on the test frequency, but in-room SPL peaks on source material will be similar from either. Anything lower is when the 13 will pull ahead of the PLus2. I run dual Plus/2s off a SMS-1 and the bass is mind blowing.

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
This begs the question and I have been waiting for over a year to ask this but just now have grown the gonads to do so in this forum.....
Why would you have to match subs?

Why not choose one for maximum qualities like midrange bass and the other for low LFE effects?(even if they are are different brands, so what?)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I'd get the SVS PB2-Plus, superb peformance for a very reasonable price. They look great and are built solid as a rock. :) And if you get one in the textured black finish, the cabinet is also made right here in the U.S. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks