What's new

25 reasons why Halloween 9 should not be made!!! Audition Tapes now online!!! (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Corey,
I understand your point. I never honestly looked at it that way- being the Dracula or Frankenstein of today.

Heres the thing.Dracule despite many interpretations, the basics have remained the same.

Taking away what makes Myers special makes him just another guy in a mask. Which is why I stress the Loomis angle so much. That a guy whos training, whos reason, whos logic goes out the window when he faces someone he cant comprehend.

Zombies decision of having Myers show emotion also causes a problem with the mask to me. The mask being a blank is a perfect symbol of the Shape himself. Myers never shows emotion, especially when killing.

I think alot of people viewed Loomis "this is not a man" comment from the supernatural aspect. I always looked at it differently - that Myers is without the simplest or most basic human characteristics. Like I said,the new Myers wont be something beyond Loomis comprehension belief or logic. All Loomis will have to do to understand this Myers is read a few serial killer books from the past 20 years. He'll be the typical sexual sadist serial killer. So Loomis crusade of stopping a force of nature, the Shape, has now become bringing Michael Myers, the guy with serious family issues to justice?? I really think that Myers should never be explained and definitely not humanized in any way.

You know, I wouldnt have a problem with them altering things as far as the narrative. But altering Myers foundation makes him a completely different character to me.

Remember the complaints of JJ Abrams treatment for Superman Returns and how people said "This isnt Superman".

(I wont even get into Zombies camerawork or dialogue)

Part of the problem is why is this being made anyway. The endless sequels have basically been beating a dead horse since the 80s. But IMHO since this is a remake of the original you should ingore all those anyway. Im not a fan of the Halloween franchise. While I can watch the second one, I can stand 4-whatever.

Youre prob right and Im being close minded. I really wish if this had to be done they would have gone with someone with a bit more vision. The first film oozes atmosphere and creepyness. Camera angles are meticulous and thoughtful. Its got great characters and dialogue. Excellent editing with a great buildup of tension. I just hate that its being replaced with gore,silly characters(theres actually a character in this movie called Big Joe Grizzley),cliches,shock value,etc

Imagine Greengrass,Boyles or Ajas Halloween instead.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
JonZ, you make a lot of sense about the Michael character. It is a shame that Zombie will most likely not be embracing these characteristics. You're right, this won't be the Michael we know. But I still feel that this film is going to rock hard.

It's a shame that you're not a fan of Zombie otherwise you'd be able to see why some like me are so darn excited that the film is being made.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I do see your points, Corey, but it all comes down to one basic problem for me when it comes to Michael...i've never been afraid of any Michael since H2 and his appearance is a large part of that.

Dracula has had many incarnations it's true, but there's just something about that character that isn't dependant on him looking a certain way, you can have the Bela Lugosi Drac and he's scary but you can also have the Gary Oldman Dracula and the character still works even though he looks vastly different, Micheal is different IMO, his guise is so evil, so iconic that if one strays too far from that, even a little bit, that indefinable mystique is somewhat watered down.

The appeal of him in the first film, in addition to his character traits which are formidable it's very true, is the fact that his face was created out of the most simplist means, they just went out, bought a Star Trek William Shatner mask and doctored it up, the other films (again not counting H2) merely tried to capture that and never quite did.

I guess you could say, as some implied and it's cool, that I am a bit hung up on Castle's Michael, but the reason for that is he is the only Michael to ever truly frighten me and when I read that Zombie was going back to the original mask, I got very very excited and so I was of course saddened when I saw that pic and knew it was going to be yet another guy in yet another attempt at capturing that frightening visage.

So, gentlemen, with that I'll let the issue go I promise.

CoreyII

Second Unit
First of all, Inspector, don't drop the issue, your opinions definitely have validity. I do understand the importance of the original Shatner mask, but I must admit that the mask Tyler Mane is wearing doesn't bother me. I know you feel that Rob Zombie went back on his promise, and you're right he did, but to be honest I would rather see his take on the mask, which is what we have currently, then a re-hash of what John Carpenter has already established.

As far as the sequels goes, I agree with you 200%, one of the reasons I was so disappointed with Halloween 4 was when I actually saw the advertisement in the newspaper and on the video tape box, it was the original mask or at least the Dick Warlock Mask, but when I actually watched the film, the mask looked like some home made papier mache' mask that somebody's soccer mom made for her kids.

As a matter of fact, the only Halloween films that I own are: the original, of course, Halloween 2, and Halloween 3:Season of the Witch. And to be honest, the only reason why I cut Halloween 2 any slack is because it picks up exactly where the original left off, besides that the film is definitely inferior to the original. I plan to one day pick up H-20, because it was an enjoyable film and I honestly think Steve Miner made a genuine attempt to capture the feel of the Carpenter film. I can live without Halloweens: 4, 5, 6, and Resurrection.

I've never understood the popularity of Halloween 4, as a matter of fact, in my opinion the only Halloween movie that damn near captures the creepiness of the original is the grossly underrated Season of the Witch. I know I'm probably one of ten people on the whole planet that actually likes Halloween 3, but I proudly own it in my collection and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Watch how Dean Cundey lights Daniel O' Herlihy, especially during the scene when he is revealing his evil scheme to Tom Atkins, Conal Cochran is almost as scary as Michael Myers. The town of Santa Mira comes off just as quiet and unsettling as Haddonfield, and with the exception of the original, Halloween 3 has arguably the coolest ending of all the Halloween films.

JonZ,

Just like with Inspector Hammer, I agree with you 200%, if Zombie is going to make Myers the product of bad upbringing and repressed sexual urges, then he's just another Buffalo Bill Killer (Silence of the Lambs). JonZ, your not being closed minded at all, I too don't really want to know more about Michael then the fact that he is pure evil, when you start to build sympathy for him, then he becomes Jason Vorhees, not that I have any sympathy for Jason, but he was picked on as a child :).

Honestly JonZ, I was just using the Dracula angle to look at this situation in a different light. My only knowledge of Zombies film is what I've been reading and seeing on the forum. As it stands right now, I am curious to see how this film will turn out and I guess the reason why is because I love the world that Carpenter created, so any chance to re-visit Haddonfield, Illinois (assuming Zombie's version will take place in Haddonfield) I'll take it. But, as I mentioned before, if for some reason production stopped and the film never got made, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Radioman, nice poster. Is that a joke or is MEG really coming out. I'm curious because I remember the book a few years back, and I read at one point, that it was going to be made into a film, but not much else.

MEG which stands for Carcharadon Megladon, the pre-historic ancestor to the Great White Shark seems like a fun film to watch. It's been a few years since the Deep Blue Sea, so I guess it's about time for another shark flick.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Radioman,

I Googled the word MEG and came up with the IMDB web page. I guess this film is in production, but not much else was stated about the film. Do you have any more info on the film? According to IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base), Jan DeBont (Speed) is attached to direct.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
(I've edited this about 5 times, heh)

Here's the official web site of the author: http://www.stevealten.com/

Looks like it could come out in 2008 with any luck according to that site.

There was a lot of talk on another forum about it. Including a really great concept image. I'll see if I can find it.....

Yep! Check this out...

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=492

and this...

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=6429

That image on the beach looks amazing. My luck I'd be hitting the tube perfectly for the first time in my life and that thing would show up and spoil it! :laugh:

If this doesn't turn out to be another Godzilla 1998 we will be real lucky when it comes out. I love a good gigantic monster movie.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"my whole issue is that he stated that he would use the original mask and he didn't. He shouldn't say things he doesn't mean, that's my main point."

He also stated the he wasnt going to use the mechanic suit and was gonna go for a updated different look, but theres the mechanic suit.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry

Here's a pic posted on bloody-disgusting. No eyes. Very gruesome if you ask me. I"m liking it! :emoji_thumbsup: Although....Rocky Balboa wants his hair back. :p

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I totally agree! Although that art indicates all realism could be throw to the wind, it's a good sign that this material is in print and not just being dreamed up as they make the thing. Of course, the makers of Godzilla 1998 had all that Godzilla history to work with and gave us a flick that was only entertaining if you were in a silly brainless mood (or high)... :frowning:

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Actually, that picture of the new "Shape" is about as uninteresting as they come. To me, it's just further proof that they shouldn't bother remaking an already perfect film and instead concentrate their energies on something original.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's going to look different in the movie when there's proper lighting, effects tricks, and just general movement, etc. I keep saying that but it's true.

At least he doesn't look like Lenny from Of Mice and Men...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
^^Those are great figures even though i've had my fill of 6" Michael's (I have 4 of them now), I have two of that set, one opened and on display and one unopened.

My little ode to Mr. Myers ;)...

Anyhoo, not to beat a dead and dismembered horse, but here's the best example I can offer as to the major differences between the new Michael and the Michael of old...

Dane's Michael...

Dick Warlock's Michael (in actuality a fan wearing a Warlock and an authentic pair of Bigmacs, virtually identicle to Warlock in H2) in which he has that mystique I was talking about in spades, that sad droopiness of the face and eyes is just missing from Dane's Michael...

^^This is the Michael I want to see and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that he look like this in Zombie's film, plainly put, Warlock is scary, Dane isn't.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I agree

BTW I read the script and its not very good.

No real spoilers but....
The first act has terrible dialogue, abundant in Fbombs(Even Loomis gets in on the act). And again it seems Zombie is going for shock(pages 1-35)The second act is only slighty better and only in parts(35-70). The third even though its longer feels rushed(70-126). This Michael would give the Juggernaut a run for his money.This causes a problem with a scene that happens later beucase it sounds really stupid the way its written. All the female characters have nude scene scenes, except Laurie(especially Judith), and the gore will be high.Theres quite a few lines from the first film put in, which Im sure you can guess which ones if you try.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Inspector, if I'm not mistaken, the two Michaels (Shapes) on the right is the one by McFarlane Toys correct? And the figures on the left are by Neca. I'm not much into collecting anymore, but I've always wanted a Michael Myers and Leatherface figure.

Does anyone know why McFarlane Toys lost the rights to the Halloween property.

By the way Inspector, I really dig that Loomis/Myers playset, but wouldn't it have been more accurate if Neca had made Loomis/Myers balcony (Tommy Doyle's House) playset. I don't remember Loomis ever confronting Myers on a front porch.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Good comparison Hammer. Even though I still say both look scary and Zombies will look better within the movie itself. :P I keep saying that! :D

Great Michael figures! I'm dying to start a collection of various figures like that. OT, there's one of the Invisible Man that's staggering. I think I have it in my photobucket....yep!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The 18" Michael on the right is indeed the McFarlane from Movie Maniacs series 2 but the 7"er is NECA's from the 'Evolution of Evil' set, the 6" Mike on the left (next to little Mikey) is the McFarlane, also from MM2. I see what you mean about the porch display, which is the porch from the Myers house BTW, but it stands as more of a representation of Michael's and Loomis' rivalry and not really a scene from any film per se'. The detailing on Loomis' face is staggering, very accurate representation of Donald (got in as close as I could without it blurring out)...

NECA aquired all the rights to the Halloween property from McFarlane, Mcfarlane's specialty as of late is sports figures, but he still occasionally will come out with a great film figure, the 12" Alien vs Predator display is probably my last great favorite of his. I'm desperate for NECA to gain the right's to Predator, i'd give my right arm for an 18" Predator! But i'm a patient man, it's not like I have a shortage of Preds sitting around my room, either lol.

Awesome Invisible man, Radioman! :emoji_thumbsup: Is that a Sideshow?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I don't know the brand names. I found that one one day when I was looking for pictures from the old Universal movie. I thought the detail was amazing and really wanted one. Same for the ones from Halloween. Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks