What's new

25 reasons why Halloween 9 should not be made!!! Audition Tapes now online!!! (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The main problem is his massive size. He's been in the psych ward since he was a young boy. I doubt if they would let him get that buff.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
To these seasoned Halloween-saturated eyes, nope, he reminds me too much of either George Wilber (H4, H6) or Don Shanks (H5) and that's not a good thing, both of those actors were too large to play Michael.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about his appearance being the least of the films problems, to me it's a big problem on top of an already massive amount of problems.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
[loomisvoice]He looks very physically fit there! Maybe someone around there was giving him fitness lessons![/loomisvoice]

As for the mask, I've never been able to understand why they can't get it right (don't get me wrong, it doesn't look that bad, certainly better than it looked in 4 and 5, but still...). It's easy to get a Don Post mask based on the original Shatner mold that with a little touch up, looks almost exactly like the real thing (since, by being based on the original mold, it pretty much is).

Go to ebay and you'll find dozens of auctions for Myers masks that look more like the real thing

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Let me clearify by saying that while the new mask doesn't look bad, it isn't what Zombie said it would be and it's very aggravating that he chose to have a whole new mask sculpted when there are countless fanmade masks out there that are FAR superior and he chose not to use them.

Go to michael-myers.net and browse the galleries and forums, some amazing work has been done by average joes like you and I that would have been great to use. Or, he could have gone the mass manufactured route and purchased a Warlock or two, it's the most accurate mask out there for purchase, it's a spot-on replica of the mask worn by Dick Warlock (hence the name) in H2.

I'd have a Warlock except that it costs $300.00 bucks. :eek:

The Warlock...

And a fanmade mask that I just love, I plan to add the collar bust to mine someday...

Now THOSE are Myers masks and it's sad that Zombie chose to hire someone to do a whole new sculpt, a sculpt which missed the mark IMO. Apologies if i'm going on too much about Michael's appearance in the new film but it's just that I had high hopes for a Nick Castle throwback and am disappointed that's all.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
:angry: :angry: It's the Halloween ranting thread in February!!! :laugh:

I think if everyone can get comfortable with the fact that this is not going to be "Rob Zombie's exact remake of John Carpenter's Halloween" but a reimaging of the material then maybe you can get excited about it. Look at this way, we already have the version we all love from Mr. Carpenter.

Why does the mask have to be the same? The picture here shows a damn good mask! I actually expected it would look very similar to that one. I really couldn't see Zombie buying something off ebay that looks close to the original. What's the point? So it'll look like Shatner? I certainly understand the appreciation for Carpenter's original design, but this is Zombie's Halloween, not Carpenter's. I do agree that there is a decidedly Frankensteinesque look to that shot of the new Michael but I have to say this really isn't bad looking at all. Maybe if the surfaces were a little smoother? Anyway, Michael is a monster and that sure looks like a monster to me. I'm really thinking Zombie's "Michael Transition" from kid to monster-in-a-mask will be something special.

Too tall? Come on! Why does he have to be short? I don't quite understand that. He has to be short because the original version of Michael was short? Zombie has a knack for aggressively presenting the bad dudes. Michael is going to look seriously awesome in this film. You'll be afraid of him like never before. (at least I'm banking on Zombie based on his past efforts)

Why can't there be some back story? The original showed a kid commiting an act that would shock anybody in the 1970s so that was all that was needed to establish the fact that he was troubled and would soon be even more trouble. Then scenes of an escape and dialogue from Dr. Loomis establishes what we need to know very effectively. But personally I think a variation of how the kid gets to the masked character, with a lot of intense back story, could be as frightening as anything we've seen in a long time in horror movies. And Zombie is a director who can deliver this. And certainly Michael will be the center of attention. I've always viewed the original in a way that has me forgetting about Michael and then suddenly being reminded of him at various times. Hopefully Zombie can capture that. I watched Spike Lee's Summer of Sam which is not called "Son of Sam" because it's not a biopic, but instead about how people's lives were effected by the murders of Son of Sam that summer in 1977. Now, I won't talk about that film's problems but will say that I hope Zombie takes this approach myself. That could be good.

Yeah JonZ, I see what you're saying and don't blame you and others here for having problems with this whole idea of Zombie doing this film. If you didn't like Devil's Rejects, chances are you'll want this film stabbed thru the heart and left hanging on a door.

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
All I know is that when I saw that picture of Michael Meyers, it looked like Michael Meyers to me. That's the most important thing. Also, I think it's a bad idea to compare this single image to these other ones because the lighting is vastly different in them.

Anyway, I have no desire to see Rob Zombie just refilm the original Halloween. Talk about unnecessary. I'm all for him having a different take on the franchise. I mean what does it matter really? The original will always be there. As long as Zombie puts some heart into this project it should be atleast more entertaining then many of the sequels.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Too tall? Come on! Why does he have to be short? I don't quite understand that. He has to be short because the original version of Michael was short? Zombie has a knack for aggressively presenting the bad dudes."

Michael isnt Jason or Leatherface or Kane. Zombie just cant resist going to the "freakish" side of things.

That institution must have a pretty aggressive training program.What do they feed them, Celltech in there with their daily pills? :D

I wouldnt call 5'8 -6 feet short, its normal.

BTW, cool dog!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Why can't there be some back story? The original showed a kid commiting an act that would shock anybody in the 1970s so that was all that was needed to establish the fact that he was troubled and would soon be even more trouble. Then scenes of an escape and dialogue from Dr. Loomis establishes what we need to know very effectively. But personally I think a variation of how the kid gets to the masked character, with a lot of intense back story, could be as frightening as anything we've seen in a long time in horror movies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's what I think too but it's the catch 22 of a remake, they crucify you when you don't make changes and they crucify you when you make changes. Personally, I'd much rather see a disaster that tried to do something different then the mostly terrible sequels (although I love II and 4) that just had the same thing over and over.

Rob Zombie is making Rob Zombie's Halloween and John Carpenter made John Carpenter's Halloween. I know that the people that have a problem with this movie are complaining becase they love the original but the guy is doing his own movie not re-filming another movie (a la Gus Van Sant).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Let me clearify further by saying that i'm not expecting Zombie to remake it shot for shot, my whole issue is that he stated that he would use the original mask and he didn't.

He shouldn't say things he doesn't mean, that's my main point.

Brent T

Second Unit
Hey Hammer,

Not annoyed, but here are a few things that I believe to be true

#1 - Zombies Halloween is NOT a remake

#2 - I am willing to bet that there have been 3-4 sequels that are much worse then what Zombie will do

#3 - This Franchise was S#@T on over two decades ago and I believe this movie at least has a chance to be a good movie. Will it be as great as Carpenters ? Nope, cant happen, but it can be a lot better then the crap that followed it.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with being passionate about horror flicks ! They always get the short end of the stick so its nice to see some conversation about them.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Some very interesting opinions. Here's my two cents worth.

JonZ, I feel your pain, Halloween as a horror film and even more so as an American cinematic achievement is very sacred to me. I remember the first time I saw Halloween, it was late Saturday night in 1979 when HBO was the only game in town. I was 8 years old, so one can imagine the impact the film had on me. After the film was over, walking upstairs to my bedroom was never quite the same.

Inspector Hammer, I agree no one has ever played Michael Myers as well as Nick Castle. Castle left an impression on me that has only been rivaled by one other person, Gunnar Hansen, and we all know who he played.

With that in mind, JonZ and Inspector Hammer, I must somewhat play the Devil's Advocate. Here is another way to look at this whole Halloween debacle, Michael Myers as a character has become a pop culture icon of villainy, not unlike Count Dracula. As a matter of fact and this was mentioned in the Halloween: 25 years of Terror DVD, Michael Myers and Dr. Loomis have become somewhat of a modern day version of Dracula and Van Helsing. And maybe one could argue that Laurie Strode is the Mina Harker of the Halloween series.

The point that I'm getting at is look how many times Dracula has re-interpreted over the years, is Michael Myers any different. At this point in time, we have arguably three versions of Dracula that have it's own fanbase: there are those who will always love the Bela Lugosi interpretation, there are those who will swear by the Christopher Lee, Hammer Horror Films version, and then there are those who feel that Gary Oldman's take on the character is the definitive version. Heck, there are even fans of the Frank Langella and Andy Warhol version. The fact that Rob Zombie is putting his spin on the Myers character could be seen as a testatment to the appeal and endurance of the character as opposed to it being a knock on Carpenter's work.

Besides, with Hollywood being re-make happy as of late (e.g. Texas Chainsaw and the Hills Have Eyes) it was only a matter of time before someone started looking at Halloween. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Jaws was next on the chopping block. Actually, believe it or not, I'd be more accepting of a Jaws re-make than a Halloween re-make, at least Jaws was based on a book, so at best what you have currently is Speilberg's interpretation of Peter Benchley's novel, whose to say that another director couldn't take the book and come up with something just as unique and terrifying as what Speilberg did. Oh by the way, I am a huge fan of Jaws and was not advocating a re-make so much as I was trying to make a point.

I feel that characters like Michael Myers, Jason Vorhees, Freddy Krueger, Jigsaw, and that guy that Gunnar Hansen played :) are the Dracula's, Frankenstein Monsters, and Wolfman's for a new generataion, their exploits lend themselves to re-makes and different interpretations.

Something else to consider and I don't know if this has been brought up in the previous pages, but with all the fuss over Tyler Mane, I'm wondering who Rob Zombie will get for his cinematographer, afterall, Dean Cundey is a tough act to follow. Cundey's camera work is a good portion of why Halloween is so effective as a horror film.

With that in mind, am I ready for this new take on Halloween, well if for some reason the production on Zombie's version was to stop all of a sudden and never saw completion, I wouldn't lose any sleep. But, since it is going to happen, I guess I'm along for the ride, of course next week I could very well have a change of heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks