What's new

25 reasons why Halloween 9 should not be made!!! Audition Tapes now online!!! (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Well, it turns out that Danielle Harris is going to play Annie.

The cast so far:

Malcolm McDowell - Dr. Loomis
Daeg Faerch - Young Michael Myers
Tyler Mane - Adult Michael Myers
Danielle Harris - Annie Brackett
Sheri Moon Zombie - Deborah Myers
Hanna R. Hall - Judith Myers
Dee Wallace Stone - Cynthia Strode
Pat Skipper - Mason Strode
William Forsythe - Ronnie White
Lew Temple - Nole Kluggs
Danny Trejo - Ismael Cruz
Ken Foree - Big Joe Grizzley

The only issue I have with casting so far is Tyler Mane as The Shape. The guy's seven feet tall, and for some reason that doesn't sit well with me. I always liked that Michael could be an ordinary, normal looking guy, not a hulking psychopath.

I'm going to give this movie a shot, but I have to say I don't like the direction it's taking so far. Some of the leaked information so far makes it seem as if Zombie is just making his own kind of film and slapping the name Halloween on it. I don't like remakes in general, but if I'm going to see one, I expect it to remain somewhat faithful to the original and so far it looks like Zombie's Halloween will fail to do so outside of the major plot points (Myers gets committed to a sanitarium at a young age, escapes years later, and returns to Haddonfield).

Edit: Mods, is there any way we can get the title of this thread changed to something along the lines of "Rob Zombie's Halloween" or something that better reflects what this thread is about now?

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I agree that would be better than a huge, bulky Myers, but it still won't be right to me. Of course, I'm sure there's plenty of ways to make Mane seem shorter, but I don't know if that's going to be the case. Like most movies, I'm going to reserve final judgment until I actually see it. I can at least say I'm more curious about this remake than others, probably because I like Halloween more than any other recently re-made movie (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Omen, Dawn of the Dead, etc.).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
To me the look will count most, Zombie has stated that he will go with the original Shatner for the mask and I as a Halloween fan from way back have been awaiting it's return as none of the sequels ever got it right.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Check this out, someone over at Michael-Myers.net posted a pic of an actress who he thinks should play Laurie and I cannot argue, her names Clare Grant the second...

Laurie needs to be an unknown IMO so she could work. Now I have no clue who this woman is but my heart skips a beat just by looking at her. :)

EDIT: She was in Walk the Line and Masters of Horror.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Which is wrong for Laurie Strode. Laurie was a wallflower, not a beauty.

Nothing I've read in the last few weeks from Malcolm McDowell as Loomis to Tyler Mane as the Shape makes me want to see this. The original is my favorite horror film, and this one just smacks of "why bother?"

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the worst is when he was a fat guy in Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers. :)

I can't wait to see Rob Zombie's take on this movie. Even if this movie is terrible, I'd rather see them try something different and fail than see yet another sequel about Druid cults or web cameras in the Myers' house or even Jamie Lee Curtis doing the movie for a paycheck. And of course, this could be the greatest movie ever made and there will be people who will say "It sucks!" only because it's a remake.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well obviously they won't glam her up as she appears in the pic, with the right wardrobe and make-up I think that she could play vulnerable and virginal, there's a certain innocence in her face.

Michael in The Curse is my all time least favorite Michael, he looked like hell and not just because of the actors weight, the coveralls and mask were just horrendous, the whole movie was horrendous.

I mean how difficult is it to get a Shatner reproduction (originals can go for $10,000 on up) and convert it? Hell I converted mine (see my avatar) and it looks better than the one in that film.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey All,

Rob Zombie is the most exciting director working in horror today in my opinion. Halloween is my favorite horror flick, and I DESPISE remakes. That being said, I cannot wait to see Rob's movie. That's how much respect I have for him. He has an incredible knowledge of the genre and clearly enjoys working in this medium. Should be an excellent film given the source material and talent behind the lens.

Cheers,

Jason

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree, Jason, one only needs to watch that documentary on The Devils Rejects to see this mans brilliance as a horror filmmaker. IMO he's the only one in Hollywood who truly knows horror and knows what to do and what not to do, he doesn't screw around with PG-13 stuff, he does hard R rated horror films that go for the throat with ample amounts of style.

I trust him when it comes to horror than I do anyone else out there right now, hell I even loved House of 1,000 Corpses, I always describe that movie as being strapped into an electric chair and fried with 5,000 volts for 90 min lol.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I have absolutely no problem with Zombie. I thoroughly enjoyed House oif f a Thousand Corpses (even though I thought it started to fall apart in the end), and The Devil's Rejects was an excellent film. I don't doubt that this version of Halloween will be entertaining, but I wonder how faithful it's going to be to the original in terms of tone and characterization. If it's only a remake of the general plot with everything else turned on its head, I'll wonder why Zombie just didn't go ahead and make his own film instead of remaking Halloween.

Then again, one can also argue that the Halloween franchise has been pretty much dead since the last entry, so in that respect, this remake is better than nothing.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Up to this point, I have stood by Zombie. I enjoyed the hell out of House of 1000 Corpses and LOVED The Devil's Rejects, but if the aforementioned script review turns out to be an assessment of the actual script, then I am honestly at a loss for words.

There are so many things wrong with it that I'll refrain from an in depth discussion until more folks read it (that and I'm not sure how to inset spoiler tags), but I am officially worried about this one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's a draft of the script but not the draft that they are going to shoot. However, that doesn't guarantee that the script will have dramatic changes.

What little I read doesn't sound particularly good but I think it could play better than it reads (like what seems silly on paper could be very creepy on film). Either way, I'll be checking this out and reserving judgment until then.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
By that review, Zombie doesn't get it. When I heard he was doing a remake of "Halloween", based on his previous two films I knew he was wrong for it. He just doesn't have the subtle touch that made the original so wonderful. After reading that script review, I see I was right.

"Halloween" is a simple film. It doesn't overly complicate itself with unneeded exposition. Michael is just evil. That's the only explanation that's given for his motivations, and that's all that's needed. Why? Because the horror we don't know is far more terrifyng than the horror we do know. Our fear instincts are based on not knowing. That's why it clicks on instantly when something jumps out we weren't expecting, but subsides as soon as we realize it's a cat (something we know).

The fact that Michael is just an unknown threat is what makes him scary to Laurie. In the first film, all she knows is that this strange guy in a mask is stalking her, and then kills her friends before coming after her. Her fear isn't based on his backstory or knowing HOW evil he is; all she's worried about, and the audience by extension, is that he has a knife and has proven he means to use it. It harkens back to very primal fears we have of death.

For Zombie to go so far out of his way to rationalize Michael's psyche spoils the simplicity. Michael loses his primal edge and becomes yet another post-modern, "Dateline" case study of "why he kills." I promise you for the person being attacked, they don't care whether the killer was abused as a child--just that they don't want to die.

Carpetner got that idea, and wanted to place the audience in that situation. He wanted to make the VICTIMS relatable, i.e. the innocent person just like the audience members who have done nothing wrong but are being given a punishment they don't deserve. That's why Annie and Linda's conversations about cheerleading, although mundane, are vitally important. Because they are who we should be siding with. They are us. We are not the guy with the knife.

What Zombie plans to do is exactly why the sequels were such sufferable excursions to sit through. They explained too much and took the focus away from the victims. We didn't follow their story, we followed Michael's and it just wasn't as scary. He should only ever be that emotionless face that steps out of the shadow with a knife.

I don't object to remakes on principle alone. "Man Who Knew Too Much" was a remake and vastly superior to its original. But, for a remake to work it has to know what worked about the original, reuse those elements and then fix the elements that failed. "Halloween" was wholly successful, and therefore a remake isn't needed. Especially one that doesn't understand it in the least.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I agree with you through and though, Chad (well, except for the part about the miserable sequels, I liked them up until Halloween 6).

I don't have an outright problem with remakes either, but this sounds like an abomination. I'll still see this and hope for the best, but turning this into a Hannibal Rising kind of movie for Michael is a very silly idea.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
And yes, adult Michael Myers, with the mask, does speak. Ugg
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :angry:

If that script he read was genuine than this is going to be a perversion of epic proportions! I thought that Zombie knew what he was doing but clearly I was mistaken.

At this point the only thing i'm looking foreward to in this film is seeing Danielle Harris naked, that's about it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Here's Rob Zombie's comment on the script review (via his My Space page)
I notice that so many people get crazy when someone you don't even know posts an opinion about what they think HALLOWEEN will or won't be. This is crazy. Do you really go through life influenced by the thoughts of others that easily?

Anyway, things change so much in a movie, from moment to moment, from second to second that all I can say is : see it for yourself and figure out if you like it or not. Really who gives a fuck what someone else thinks? Everybody likes different shit for differenet reasons. But deciding that you hate or love something that doesn't even exsist yet? Well, that a little ridiculous.
EDIT:http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...0-a6614297575d

I gotta say that certain things from the script 'trouble' me but what he says is 100% right- I didn't read the script (or, more importantly, actually see the movie) so I can't make a call about it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
LOL, he's a smart man, though, surely he can sense when he's taken something completely off the tracks which he has clearly done here, he's turned Michael into Jeffrey Dahmer for shitsake and he can't see that? :confused:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't read the review of the first draft (usually don't, as I don;t like spoilers, I only skimmed some of the discussion, agian, for spoiler reasons), but typically these scripts have a ton of character stuff that don't make it into the final movie.

Any chance that a lot of the detail into Michael Myers psyche is extranious character development and wont get in, or is the picture really a biography of Myers as the people here are making it sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks