1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

24 Season One: Some afterthoughts

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Since doing my review of 24: Season One,
    many of you have asked me to keep you up-to-date
    on how I have been progressing through the set.
    I started a new thread here to draw attention
    to the fact that I finally finished Season One
    last evening.
    I really am proud of myself for getting through
    this set so fast. Most of the episodes I watched
    on my portable DVD player during my plane ride to
    and from Los Angeles last week. I also went back
    up to my hotel early a few nights, locking myself
    in the room, while lying in bed watching a few more
    episodes.
    It's sort of miraculous how addictive this series
    became for me. I have never been addicted to any
    television show from watching a single episode. As
    my review of 24 indicated, it's very easy
    to get hooked within the first 30 minutes of the
    show.
    The only problem with 24 is that it really
    became too preposterous at times. It's as if the
    writers really stretched themselves to find some
    unusual predicaments for its characters. Still,
    the show remained so riveting, it was easy for
    audiences to accept most of what was being thrown
    at them.
    I particularly enjoyed the fact that the show
    did not whimp out in its final 10 minutes. Having
    now watched the alternate ending with commentary,
    I can truly appreciate what the show's producers
    were trying to do. Even in the end, the show
    remained true to its ability to give us the unexpected.
    After all, the thing I enjoyed most about 24
    was the fact that it wasn't predictable. Every
    episode seemed to have a new twist.
    So, here I am, a full-fledged 24 fan.
    Suffice to say, I'll be watching the second season
    live this year, and perhaps joining you guys in
    weekly conversation in the television area.

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Well-Known Member

Ha ha another person hooked. 24 had a excellent first season but as you said there were a few bumps along the road. Mainly because originally fox only ordered 13 episodes. So in case the rest of the season wasnt picked the writers closed the story up and then when it was picked up they blew the story up again. This next season they have it all planned out ahead of time so hopefully it will be even better

capt

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Well-Known Member

Ron, I have to say, it was YOUR recommendation in the review thread to pick it up that I listened to. Many other members felt it doesn't have an rewatch value, but this baby will have a place on the frontline of my DVD collection for quite some time.

People I have know have finished the entire series in:

1 week
    2 days
    3 days
    5 days

Man, oh man. 16.5 hours of television in less than a week! PHEW!

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Well-Known Member

I started episode 1 at 4am. Once episode 7 ends, I'm going to bed.
    Needless to say, I'm diggin' the show. [​IMG]

5. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Well-Known Member

My friends have dubbed it: "DVD Crack". Once you start, you can't stop. If you do, you go into withdrawal.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

True story:
    My wife and I saw every episode on its initial broadcast, and we're both 24 fans. But when I told her I was ordering the DVD set, she said, "Why? It's not worth watching again." Then she rewatched the first episode with me. Now every night at dinner, it's "Can we watch some more of 24 tonight?" [​IMG]
    When you watch them spread out over an entire season, it's easy to forget, as the conclusion draws near, just how intricately plotted the early episodes were. The last 11 episodes weren't as tight, mainly because the writers had to invent new ways to put Teri and Kim in jeopardy once they'd been rescued, and not everything worked. But it's still a great ride, and well worth taking again.
    M.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Ron.

My wife and I time-shifted this when it was just repeated on FX! and watched it all in one weekend (and I am sure that this is no record).

We plan on watching this season. But, for me, there is no repeat value. I don’t think that I’d really want to see the flaws in some of the middle episodes again—I’m happier to just remember the excitiement.

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Well-Known Member

Ron's gonna post in the TV forum?!?!?

That IS some amazing TV show.

9. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Well-Known Member

10. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Well-Known Member

but of course in the US you guys don't know that Nina KNEW Teri was pregnant before she shot her in the stomach!!!!!!!!! In fact in the US version Nina never even finds out after the fact!
    It's a scene that was cut from the US broadcast of episode 23. In the UK we got it intact and when the dvd arrived without this scene (and other scenes cut in the US) fan anger forced FoxUK to withdraw the set and repress it (it had been made with the US masters! d'oh!). We should now be getting the re-issued un-cut 24 on Oct 15th in the UK!

11. Mike-M

Mike-M Well-Known Member

Richard...

Do you think there are significant scenes that were shown in the UK but not the U.S? Besides the spoiler you just mentioned, was there anything else omitted of much substance?

On one hand I want to re-buy this "new" version when it comes out but on the other hand I figure if it was edited out then the director must not have wanted it in there.

12. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Well-Known Member

It was probably edited out for commercials. The US has more commercial time per hour than the UK.

13. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Well-Known Member

14. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Well-Known Member

Alias? Pffft! I gave that show a standard 3 episode trial and had no problem running away from it [​IMG]
    I pretty much agree with the general thoughts about 24. It's really very good a lot of the time but after the mid-point of the season, when the producers found out they'd be on for the full run, it started having trouble holding it together. Had a strong finish though. I think what I like best about the show is seeing Kiefer Sutherland crack up over the course of the season. He's very believable as someone who's at risk of going over the edge, probably because he's played so many sinister characters in career that you kind of expect the worst from him [​IMG] Favorite episode like this was the one in which he threatens to tear out a suspect's viscera with nothing more than a wet sock. He seemed pretty sincere to me [​IMG]

15. Will_B

Will_B Well-Known Member

Does the Region 2 version of 24, with the longer scenes, suffer from PAL speedup or is it ok?

I'm probably going to go for the UK version once the replacements are available.

16. Christopher D

Christopher D Well-Known Member

Guys, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't assume that just because unusued footage was shot it truly belongs in the program; that's what editors are for.

Case in point: the whole issue with whether Nina knew that Teri was pregnant.

Someone who had spoken with Sarah Clarke about this was kind enough to post notes of the conversation on Television Without Pity -- Sarah said, essentially, that in her opinion the only question that went through her mind before shooting Teri was whether or not she could use her as a bargaining chip because the character was ruthless. Whether or when she knew about the pregnancy
    would thus be completely irrelevant.

17. Josh Lowe

just finished watching the first season.

i dunno. that was asking a -lot- from the viewer. it really started getting illogical and beyond the suspension of disbelief at the end.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's much better if you watch one episode per week, that way, you don't get so uptight with the episodic implausibilities. [​IMG]
    I watched it on TV last season, but did not buy the DVD set because there's so much new stuff on the horizon, I don't know where I'd find the time to revisit the show again, especially since "Another 24 Hours" is about to start up soon.

19. Josh Lowe

on a side note
    we use those cisco IP phones like what they have at CTU where i work. but they don't have those "beeeeep-boop-BOOP" rings or i'd change mine. instead i have the austin powers/in like flint ring. [​IMG]

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Well-Known Member

I started the Season One set around 4:00 am on Friday. I finished it up around 7:00 pm Saturday. (Today.)

Whoever dubbed this set as "DVD Crack" wasn't far off the mark. Sure, the show isn't perfect and offers more than a few "gimme a break" moments, but overall I think it's one of the most entertaining TV seasons I've ever seen.