I hope I am not too far out here with
trying to connect what you are saying.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Joe_H

I agree quite a bit. I think I said this already, but even the horrible S6 had that first few hours that drew me in. This hasn't had anything of the sort yet.

I really don't mind this season getting off to a relatively slow/low key start. I think part of the problem with past seasons of 24 is that they amped up the action too fast too soon. In order to keep building suspense, the intensity and urgency of the situation has to keep rising, but things just balloon out of control and that leads to a letdown in the final hours of the day.

I'd rather see "Plan A" stay in the works for a good 6-8 hours (or more) before a crisis forces a shift to "Plan B" for the next 5-6 hours, etc. than have the bad guys get all the way to "Plan E" before the day is even half over.

So far, I'm enjoying the relative simplicity of the main plot, and like how things are moving along steadily but deliberately. The side plots, now that's another story...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Quentin

The best - Jack not in control and following a clearly out of control Renee is a very fun and fresh idea. She's having fun with it and it's definitely new to watch Jack in this sort of a situation. Certainly, the best this season has to offer us so far...and, one of the better ideas I've seen in the series.
I agree completely. It's only been about an episode and a half but I already love that story.

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I really don't mind this season getting off to a relatively slow/low key start. I think part of the problem with past seasons of 24 is that they amped up the action too fast too soon. In order to keep building suspense, the intensity and urgency of the situation has to keep rising, but things just balloon out of control and that leads to a letdown in the final hours of the day.

I'd rather see "Plan A" stay in the works for a good 6-8 hours (or more) before a crisis forces a shift to "Plan B" for the next 5-6 hours, etc. than have the bad guys get all the way to "Plan E" before the day is even half over.

So far, I'm enjoying the relative simplicity of the main plot, and like how things are moving along steadily but deliberately. The side plots, now that's another story...
I couldn't have said it better myself (especially with how fast some of the seasons started and weren't able to follow through on). They detonated a nuclear bomb and killed Curtis in S6 and it was a helluva start but they were left with nowhere to go... and it basically didn't go anywhere for the next 20 episodes. This year, they seem to be wisely taking more time and building up rather than going crazy right off the bat.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

I couldn't have said it better myself (especially with how fast some of the seasons started and weren't able to follow through on). They detonated a nuclear bomb and killed Curtis in S6 and it was a helluva start but they were left with nowhere to go... and it basically didn't go anywhere for the next 20 episodes. This year, they seem to be wisely taking more time and building up rather than going crazy right off the bat.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a slow buildup, and I don't even mean that something crazy has to happen like the S6 nuke... but something still has to pull me in, and they don't have that this year. Compare that to S1, where 10 minutes into watching the first episode on DVD, I knew I'd be watching the whole season. And in that, it wasn't like anything crazy happening, but there was enough of a hook. I'm not feeling any hook this year.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I really don't mind this season getting off to a relatively slow/low key start.
Yeah, it hasn’t been the most exciting first few hours. But I’ll stick with it to see where it goes. I still think my favorite is Season One where it started out with a relatively minor threat (compared to later seasons) that turned into a personal vengeance story against Jack and Palmer. There were a few dull episodes here and there (the infamous amnesia subplot.) but it really built up tension. And this might seem like a minor thing, but it was the only season that started at night and ended at night. It seemed to me that it made the climax and finale darker

There was this really hot blonde on
Battlestar Galactica
I didn’t see Galactica, but am I the only one who doesn’t think Sackhoff is that hot on 24. To me, she kind of has a masculine looking face.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG
I didn’t see Galactica, but am I the only one who doesn’t think Sackhoff is that hot on 24. To me, she kind of has a masculine looking face.
It's not just you.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR /forum/thread/294427/24-season-eight/90#post_3653785
I hope I don't get flamed for this one (but I know better)...but if Lindsay Lohan would only take care of herself, I could see her growing into an actress as beautiful as Annie Wersching. Every time I see the character of Renee, I think of Lohan with those cheekbones, freckles and pretty eyes.

Count me as one of those who think--as of now--that this season is dragging a bit. Having Jack sitting in a car for an entire episode while Renee is out front dealing with the Russians seems diametrically opposed to what 24 is all about...but they could simply be setting the stage for something mighty interesting which could be lurking right around the corner.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

If Taylor was elected (I don't remember), the inauguration would take place in an odd year like 2013 or 2017.
I know that but I just used 2001 as the start point of the series since there's no established year and it was the year the show started. Plus, I'm going with the idea that their "universe" doesn't exactly match ours. However, Pierce says in S2 that he has been with the Secret Service dating back to the Reagan administration so I guess you could say that S1 took place in 1999 and Palmer was elected President in 2000 and Taylor eventually was inaugurated in 2013.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Agree with how bad this season is. Wow. I seriously considered stopping in the middle of the episode and just bailing completely. I've said for a while that the show hasn't been great in years but it at least kept me entertained. This episode was just brutal. And those scenes where Renee was trying to maintain her cover were gut-wrenching. It was like a poorly written sitcom the way she was repeating the questions being asked. And the woe is me speech to convince the Russian she is for real...HUH? And Jack's reaction to that whole debacle...I'm sensing even the actors realize the show has fallen off a cliff.

Kill Jack...kill Chloe...bring back the cougar...bring back David Palmer...I'll take anything at this point!

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Katee Sackhoff is a blonde and she was on BSG. But her character was almost always the militaristic ball-buster (tho' occasionally psycho). The "hot blonde" that Ron was referrng to was probably Tricia Helfer (#6).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Hugh Jackes

The "hot blonde" that Ron was referrng to was probably Tricia Helfer (#6).
That's what I was thinking too. I'm pretty sure he was referring to her and not Katie Sackhoff(Starbuck).

As for this season, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is thoroughly disinterested through the first 5 episodes. I think it's the first time in 8 seasons of the show that I haven't been sucked in right from the start. As someone pointed out earlier, even season 6, the worst season in the show's history by far, started out with a bang. Last season was absolutely epic for the first 13 or 14 episodes before it tailed off. This year, however, has been a complete bore and I don't see the storylines getting any more exciting anytime soon. I'll stick with the show out of allegiance as it's one of my top 5 favorite TV shows of all time, but I fear that they're running out of ideas and it might finally be time for it to end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks