What's new

24 season 3 (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Surprised by the lack of talk for 24 season 3 on the forum. I just picked my set up today and was shocked at one of the things in the special features.

During the promo for season 4, which was filmed just for the dvd release to bridge the two seasons, Kiefer drops the F-Bomb in one of the scenes. Surprised to see that in a TV set from a network show. I know that the DVD is unrated, but the promo/teaser was shot to seamlessly blend with the show, so it was surprising to hear that word come, but perfect place for it though.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Anyone else feel that the set was real filthy? (And I mean in the litteral sense, not language). I think this set was by far the dirtiest I've ever gotten, and had 3 floaters on top of that. (Oddly, even with all that against it, no scratches). But what'd they do, pack the thing in a dust storm?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I didn't like it as much as the first two, but I think awful is an understatement.

Haven't checked out the prequel ep yet...probably going to go watch it after I post.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
^Yeah it might have been too harsh, but the first season was so amazing that I become a hard core fan. While Season Two was alright - I have to say they dropped the ball with season three. No organization in terms of a coherent story line, pointless character quirks, and plot holes bigger then the first two seasons combined - and at the end of the day it just wasn’t an interesting story.

I really wish they'd bring back Stephen Hopkins and his crew. They added so much style and class to that show. Ever since Cassar and his Le Femme Nikita team stepped in, both the cinematic style and well the whole real time aspect has been dropped for cheap action movie thrills.

I think when it comes down too it, 24 is a concept best used once.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I had problems with my set as well. One floater due to broken hub, and I had problems playing some of the deleted scenes on disc 7 (which was NOT the floater). It's going back to BB for an exchange today.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Mine's going back to BB today as well. One floater, although all the discs had some kind of dust/marks on them. I wish Fox would abandon this horrible packaging.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
5 min for the mini-episode?! I thought it was longer.

I have S3 on my Christmas wish list so I have to wait. Ill have a S3 marathon before Jan 3 when S4 starts.

My 24 season rankings
1: *****
2: ****
3: ***1/2

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
The little "mini-episode" was amusing. Kind of a fun thing to have in the set.

Season 3 was by far my least favorite season. However, I think part of that is due to the fact that they attempt (the last two seasons) to try and get "new" viewers when they were with American Idol.

The story would go into neutral for a few episodes in an attempt to get all the newbies caught up.

I also think having to wait two or three weeks for a new episode hurts the overall quality for a viewer. There were numerous breaks and gaps between the airing of episodes last season.

I plan to watch this on DVD with fewer breaks and see how I like it. It is possible it might be better the second time around...

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
is anyone having picture quality problems on this set? I just got back from target with a second set and some shots on certain episodes look strange. Part of the picture looks very bright, on the first episode 1-2pm about 32 mintues in for example.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I still haven't watched any of the episodes, so I have no idea if that's an isolated incident or a bigger problem.

In regards to quality, I agree that it was all over the place. Based on the teaser stuff for Season 4, I think they have a good chance to re-kindle some of the originality of the show. It's basically a complete reboot, so it won't rely on so many things from the past (Sherry Palmer, Nina, etc).

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
^It also looks like a larger overblown action movie.

While the first season was 24 was in no means cheap to produce, they had a lot more fun with suspence and characters rather then scenes with Helicopter chases and Jets flying under bridges (let alone a guy with a rocket launcher). Dare I say, it seemed a little more plausible.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I thought Season 3 sort of got lost in the middle, and I remember an article I read somewhere indicated that the producers thought the same thing. However, I thought it really picked up in the last few episodes, and they kind of made it work.

I agree though, that Season 1 is probably still the best, but I really did enjoy Season 2 a lot, as well.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Season 1 had the most thought out storyline from start to finish. Season 2 was awesome until the bomb went off, then it kind of lost its way for the rest of it.

Season 3 started good, but the middle was just painful. It was like a bad soap opera. But once Saunders was introduced and the show got back to LA, it just took off and didnt look back. The last half of Season 3 is some of the best stuff this show has done in my opinion.

My problem now watching this again, knowing all the twists, is seeing just how ludicrous the first part of the season is. So all this is a set up by Jack, Tony, and Gael? WAY too much stuff to plan to just happen for the plan to work, and most people not knowing it. And the innocent people hurt, etc.

I do have to say that with this watch, Chase is not as annoying, and Chloe is a lot cooler. I think it is because I dont have a week for it to simmer anymore, I can just keep rolling. Chase actually is somewhat likable now, and Chloe.....well is Chloe. I think everyone in their life has met or worked with someone like Chloe, and I think that is why her character was so popular, as she was one of the most realistic ones this season.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I disagree. I definitely think the show changed a great deal at the point when the bomb went off, but I found the political stuff as interesting as the bomb stuff. I almost like Season 2 as much as Season 1, but I think there's a problem with consistency (not in quality, but in tone).

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I agree that Season 3 almost redeemed itself on the back end, but the rest of the season almost seemed like every episode was written by a different writer whose job it was to make writing the next episode as difficult as possible by providing each ep with a preposterous ending. There was no sense of any "through-line" through this season, which I think is pretty bad given the nature of the show. It almost seems like nobody sat down and plotted out what beats needed to be hit in each ep prior to shooting. I don't know what happened, but that's just what it felt like to me. I'm interested in listening to some of the commentaries to see if anyone addresses what exactly happened.

There was one plotline in the beginning that was just blatantly thrown away with nothing of interest ever occurring in it.

The mid-season "surprise" (see Sean's spoiler above) almost felt like they made up a reboot on the spot to try something else and, in my opinion, completely invalidated the beginning of the season.

Season 3 seemed like it had three separate turning points - only one of them for the better. Still, I liked season 3 better than season 2, which I felt was even more all over the place and never reached the levels of the final episodes of season 3. Plus, season 3 was cougar free.

I don't think either of those seasons compare to the first, however.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

I think a lot of the quality drop in writing was due to the writers. Kim was such a worthless joke in Season 2, as was Clohe in Season 3. As for the production, even the producers of 24 admit in the Season 2 DVD doc that Cassar doesn't move the camera as much as Hopkins did. Not to mention that they completely forgot how to use the split screens. By season 2 they were basically used for opening credits and phone conversations (occasionally some action scene) - where as in Season 1 almost EVERYTHING was done in split screen, that was the style of the show and it really drew me in.

I agree that the end of Season 3 was better, but I always view a 24 season as one long episode (it is after all a day) it went off on so many tagents I just got bored of it. (Of course I'm just going around in circles now)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The first 13 hours of Season 1 were sensational. Unfortunately it went downhill after that, though it was still entertaining, and the season finale was excellent. Season 2, as another poster stated, was great until the bomb went off, and then it became dry and talky. Plus the show never quite recovered from Jack being tortured to death and coming back to life. Season 3, however, started out well, collapsed in the middle, and roared back to life in the spring. Looking forward to this season and seeing Kim Raver from Third Watch join the show. She's good - I hope they give her good material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks