What's new

24: Season 2 - Hour 24 - 5/20/03 Finale (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Mandy who?

I must've missed her in the few episodes I didn't get in on last year. I guess that it would've been more hard-hitting if I knew who it was when they showed her. :D

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
She was in the first episode or two of Season One. She blew up a 747 in midair after parachuting out.

I yelled "Oh FUCK!" loud enough to get my roommate's attention all the way down in the basement :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Spoilers

But Here's the Question. Concerning the ease of which the event of the final minutes took place. Why the hell didn't they just use that method in season one? It would have been simpler and maybe since the plan wasn't so elaborate, it would have slipped through detection in Season One

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
WillG, perhaps they just hadn't thought of it yet! :)

As everyone knows, I've been a big time defender of 24 this year, and I am really glad that things really did pay off in the end. I was actually quite amazed that they were able to wrap up as much stuff as they did:

-Mike getting the boot

-Chappelle getting his from Tony

-Tony and Michelle's relationship (as well as Michelle's brother)

-Sherry Palmer's invovlement and redemption

-Palmer regaining the presidency

-Kim reuniting with Jack and Kate

-etc...

However, the BIGGEST thing that is SOOOOOO cool is that they were able to: tie in last season's puppeteers (the German faction that Nina worked for) with the events of this season. I believe that the attempt on Palmer and the attempted war this season are all part of a BIGGER plot that involves the German faction that Nina works for. Remember that the guy on the boat has a German accent. I think that (last year's) Gaines, the Drazens, and this year's Kingsley are all pawns in a much much bigger game that invovles the aforementioned German faction. This is really supported by the fact that Mandy returns (who was hired to work for Gaines.

However, a quick question. Did anyone notice that during the final split screen, they show Chappelle and the folks at CTU walking by Michelle's desk and Michelle giving Tony a look? Does anyone have any idea what that could be about? It was sort of hidden given that it occurred with 3 or 4 other things on screen.

BTW, Jack's MATRIX move had me screaming "Awwwwww yeah!" I was never a real Kiefer fan before 24, but damn he owns Jack Bauer. Is there anyone else who could play this role this effectively?

24, I bow to thee! Coolest....episode....ever (at least since Nina reveal on the phone in Season 1.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"WillG, perhaps they just hadn't thought of it yet! "

I Know, Just a little humor

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
:D

For me it's all about Mandy.

Brief boring story:

I watched episodes 1 and 2 of season 1 but missed the next several. I intentionally avoided the rest of the season and had a BALL with the DVD set when it first came out.

I remember watching discs 1 and 2 and constantly IMing my pal Erik asking "WHEN does MIA come back??"

He thought I was nuts.

So flash forward to tonight. I'm sitting here watching the show and boom there she is. Erik immediately IMs me yelling

"THERE! THERE SHE IS! HAPPY NOW, JERK??"

She could kill 9 presidents. She's still the adorable raunchy sexpot from NATM. :)

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Given the short time period covered by the show, it's only reasonable that some storylines are not resolved. Lynne is presumably in the ICU. Maybe she'll be back next season, but I wouldn't imagine a big role for her, since she should be in the hospital.

By the way, since Jack's "Matrix move" is mentioned, how about the fact that Jack died and came back to life earlier in the series? Maybe he is the One?

Regarding the ending:
1) I think Palmer's dead; Mandy is too efficient to fail at something like that. Too bad, since he was a great character and Dennis Haysbert did a super job with him. Looks like Prescott is going to have to deal with this mess. I'm not sure how they're going to make him a compelling character.

2) Given that they did just turn this into "48", how is Jack and the rest of the CTU crew going to deal with it after what they've just been through? Jack's barely alive, and this'll be at the *start* of the day? Methinks they are setting it up for someone else to take over the grunt work...

Maury Alamin

Auditioning
The only thing I'm a little upset about is the fact that the general public doesn't know what the hell went on the night before. The VP never had his press conference so no one knows that they enacted the 25th(?) Amendment and I'm quite sure no one's going to volunteer this tidbit of information. The Turkish president gave clearance to "president" Palmer. So the public doesn't actually know how great their late president actually was. And the VP's going to come out smelling like roses... That is until Lynne writes her tell all book when she gets out of her coma.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Excellent finale!

The only thing I would have liked to see that we didn't is Tony firing Carrie. Oh well, meybe next season.

As for Lynn Kresge, I was figuring she'd be back next season as the new chief-of-staff, until...

Speaking of that final scene - that was some pretty sneaky camerawork & editing. At first I was thinking
a sniper in one of the buildings, as they showed one shot of Palmer surrounded by high-rises.

Then I was thinking a Sirhan-Sirhan type shooting, as they panned around the crowd and we got our first glimpse of the assassin from behind.

Then I was thinking suicide bomber!! as she got closer & closer.

Then came the handshake,which was a WTF moment for me, as I didn't recognize the person from before. Until, of course
the "glove" came off.

As for next season, I think Palmer is gone. That bio-agent (an Ebola variant?) was too fast-acting - he'll be dead in 5 minutes. The VP, thrust right back into the top seat by the death of the man who just saved his career, will order Jack & CTU back into action to find the perps. This will probably happen after Palmer's funeral - gotta give Jack a few days to recover! Like you all said, Europe, here we come!!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I don't think it's necessary for them to pick up where they left off and turn it into "48." The next 24-hour period covered by Season 3 doesn't have to be "tomorrow." It could be a week or more down the road, and the events of this season's 24-hour period would still be recent enough to continue the same story line.

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
BrianW:

I agree with your thoughts on where they start time wise for the show. They could make it any number of weeks, months later and fill in the blanks, but it will be shorter because all of it will tie in to continue the plots.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think they may be heading or could in another direction. Perhaps it's a bio toxin that spreads through the air. Shaking Palmer's hand could just be what gets it started. It could infect, thousands, hundreds of thousands before containment is put into effect and the city is sealed off from the outside world. A cure for many, perhaps the whole nation could be what is going to happen in season 3. Just one of the possibilities.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
1) I think Palmer's dead;
Yeah, they added a heartbeat sound during the fade out which denoted pretty clearly that Palmer's heart stopped.

If I were Jack I would absolutely move to another country at this point. He keeps having to save this one.

Altogether, I'm not as satisfied with this season. It seemed much less exciting. Season one was one outrageous development after another, which kept the jaw dropping. I didn't get that feeling this time, except during the first part of the season when Jack "went bowling." After that it started to become less surprising.

On the plus side, Kate Warner is great and I hope she and Jack get married. All the blonde women at the wedding can carry guns, it would be a theme.

But the show has to do something unique next year. Start it when they're on vacation in europe, please. Don't do Los Angeles again or frankly, I don't know that I'd watch it again. There's enough action movies set in LA already.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
But the show has to do something unique next year. Start it when they're on vacation in europe, please. Don't do Los Angeles again or frankly, I don't know that I'd watch it again. There's enough action movies set in LA already
:laugh: Nice try my friend. You will not be able to escape the power of Bauer. Admit it, you are full of Oscar Meyer to make a point :D

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Palmer's arm will be amputated right there on the street to save his life.

And damnit, I want there to be at least 2 more hours to this day... they just can't leave it like that. I was hoping they were going to do some surprise 2 hour episode or something, but no.

Overall I thought this season was fantastic (except for a bit of the Kim plot, if she's in the show next season, it better be exclusively from poolside or the beach) and actually better than last season. I can't imagine what's going to happen next.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Great episode, the only season finale this year that I enjoyed! After a few episodes awhile back, I was doubting my enthusiasm for season three, and then it heated up and now I'm looking forward to 24: Season 3 - The Search for Palmer.

What the hell happened to Nina?!!!!

MarcVH

Second Unit
Sigh, it was adequately done considering, but too many loose ends.

...like what happened to Lynne. Palmer's firing Mike would have been a lot more plausible if he'd mentioned that at least part of the reason was because of what happened to Lynne.

I also don't get how this grand conspiracy can just fall apart so fast. What ever happened, for example, to the people who downed the chopper containing the diplomats from whatever country it was?

With a live feed of the sting cross-country and so many people monitoring it, somebody who was in on it would have stopped. Heck, even if we accept that both Mike and the VP were not in any way "in on it" but just doing what they thought was best for America, would either of them be so anxious to pursue evidence, and accept what was rather scant proof, of something that spelled political suicide for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks