What's new

24-Pre-empted AGAIN? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't find a thread on this subject, and since the FOX site for 24 makes it quite impossible to find anything, I just wanted to check to see if 24 was actually pre-empted again this week, or if it was going to be on at another time later in the week. All the channels seem to be showing the State of the Union thingy for some reason...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think the White House has the ability to preempt any programming it wishes. In order to avoid this, the Big 4 provide their own coverage of it. Otherwise, I can't see why either since it's not a big ratings draw. Thank God Smallville's not preempted:)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Yes, they made it clear at the end of the last new episode on 1/14 that there would be a three week break. From another thread here are some reasons I could think of for the break:

24 RETURNS WITH A NEW EPISODE ON FEBRUARY 4th! SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS Congratulations to Kiefer Sutherland for his SAG Award nomination as Best Actor in a Drama Series.

Congratulations to Reiko Aylesworth, Xander Berkeley, Carlos Bernard, Sarah Clarke, Elisha Cuthbert, Dennis Haysbert, Leslie Hope, Penny Johnson Jerald, Kiefer Sutherland and Sarah Wynter for their SAG Award nomination as Best Ensemble in a Drama Series.

The winners will be announced March 9th.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
What's state of the union thingy?
And no I don't mean to put a smiley at the end.

If it's a declaration of World War III, then fine, otherwise it shouldn't be on all channels, especially if that means we can't see 24. :angry: :b

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping you meant to include a smiley at the end of that sentence...
No, I'm actually genuinely baffled as to why it's on all of the TV channels. Do they actually expect that many people to watch it? I can understand something like CNN covering it, but to have it on all of the broadcast networks just seems a little strange to me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Umm...it's usually the norm that major networks cover the State of the Union speech. It's once a year, not that big a deal to get all worked up over. Plus, the production team for 24 needs the time to get caught up because they need more than 7 days to create one episode of 24.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I suppose that makes sense-I wasn't sure how far in advance they had episodes ready for. I was actually under the impression that they had most of the season done in advance (at least the principal photography). I understand that the post-roduction might be a little more involved though.

I guess it's just that with something like 24, you really can't afford to miss an episode. I think that part of the problem is that when CTV (or Global, I can't remember which it is) shows it here, they cut the preview for the next week-which was when they mentioned the three week delay.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
So, who the hell is this "George Bush", and what have they done with President Palmer? And what's with all this talk about "Saddam Hussein" when the very real threat of Saiid Ali and his plans to nuke L.A. go unacknowledged and unaddressed?

If this country can't get its priorities straight, if we don't grapple with the real issues that face us and the very real threats to our peace and security, then what have we come to?

Look, it was hard enough for me to accept the end of President Bartlett's administration, but I fully support President Palmer and feel he's doing his utmost to fulfill his duty to protect us all from the threat of terrorist attack. I would never have imagined that in these troubled times, as we face the weightiest and most troubling issues of national security and geopolitical strife, that the networks (I'm looking at you, FOX!) would cut away to cover some irrelevant bit of fluffery and nonsense that has nothing to do with our lives, our futures, and the very fate of civilization.

It's appalling. :angry:

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
Quick non-related question. Has Palmer ever mentioned the Vie President? I wonder if they are reserving that role for a special guest star, a la Dennis Hopper last year?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, we didn't have the 24 repeat here because we were watching someone go nuts on the "Applause" sign in Congress :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm actually genuinely baffled as to why it's on all of the TV channels. Do they actually expect that many people to watch it? I can understand something like CNN covering it, but to have it on all of the broadcast networks just seems a little strange to me.
CNN is a *Cable* News Network, and a vast number of people in the U.S. don't have cable or satellite TV. Those that just have OTA TV might not be able to receive all the broadcast affiliates. I know some people that don't get all of them, and might only get one channel. They might want to tune into something like this.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Yes...you see oftentimes, when the stuff is preempted on US network channels, the new shows which usually air simultaneously on Canadian stations, don't. Canadian stations almost never pre-empt programming for news reports of any kind, except of course during September 11.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
So that's one of the reasons 24 has been delayed. Should of guessed. Since the state of the union address is required by the constitution, many people seem to think it's important. I suppose I really have no complaints that the networks air it. After all this is actually not a "pre-empted" news event. The state of the union address is a scheduled event (always on a Tuesday I believe). It's an annual scheduled event, sort of like the Oscars, but less interesting and more politically oriented.

Actually I don't have any problems with the networks airing it. The only thing I don't get is the need to air a useless rebuttle by the opposing party. The state of the union address isn't a debate! But, I digress...

Man, Rich. That was funny. And I couldn't agree more.

Now another thing to keep in mind is that unlike other series 24 doesn't have weekly repeats. You have to fill some of those extra weeks somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread