What's new

24 - Day 3 - Hour 24 - 5/25/04 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wayne's the Chief of Staff, not the Veep. You'd have to assume that the President's party would choose a new candidate when Palmer announces he's not running. The Veep would seem the most likely choice.

I liked this rather low-key ending. It was much more effective than last year's "handshake-of-death-with-no-real-consequences". We finally see the stress of his job get to Jack - and we also see that the job never ends, not even after the crisis du jour is over.

Old enemies dead, President Palmer leaving office, Tony (and surely Michelle) likely out of CTU, Kim possibly starting a new life with Chase... the producers have quite effectively cleared the decks. I think this is a good thing. The over-reliance on the old characters led to some lazy writing this year. Now they have a chance to reinvent the show around their core character.

Sure is a long time until January, though!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Yeah, when they show Gael's wife looking at those pictures, they sure telegraphed that she was going to kill Saunders, ONCE AGAIN showing that security at CTU is a joke. (I was going to say "a fucking sieve", but why be vulgar?)

And then the guy gets past the two armed cops, showing that the "lockdown" was a joke.

If figured when when Chase said he was leaving field ops, they might kill him; glad they didn't. Also glad they didn't go for the twist at the end.

At least now when Palmer withdraws, it can be with "honor" as long as the truth is not revealed. His ex-wife being murdered could give him sympathy. There might be less chaos than if he had just dropped out when Keeler threatened him. The veep would be the presumptive nominee, although there could be some jockeying. So it's an open question as to who is President next season.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
It was a good finale. More like a series finale (I suppose they weren't sure either way at the time of writing/shooting).

Anyone else annoyed that Elisha Cuthbert pronounced Gael as Gail? Petty detail, I know...

Well, to keep the same cast next season, they're going to have to
a) do a prequel in between s2 & s3
b) use prerecorded "clue" video clips from the now-dead characters
c) introduce us to long-lost twins.

It makes sense to me that you'd build a hospital near to a school.

I just hope that Chase doesn't become evil now and start framing doctors for murder. ;)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I must've been the only one who thought that Jack was gonna go call Kate Warner at the end of the episode. I guess it was his conversation with Chase earlier regarding the effect their work has on their personal lives(or lack thereof) and Jack saying to Kim that he had things he had to do. Plus if you think about it, it's been just under 24 hours since they last spoke on the phone, so it's not like she wouldn't be expecting him to call.

That being said, I had no problem with the closing scene of the season. Men can cry. Even Jack Bauer. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BTW, with Palmer not running for the presidency, it gives Palmer an easier out to pardon Tony (I think Jack will ask for a favor before Palmer leaves office).

John Watson

Screenwriter
They should rename the place - CSU - Crappy Security Unit.:)

Apart from not having Jack ask Palmer for the pardon, the only poorly resolved issue for me at this time was the crumbling of the big bad, 'cause true believers will sacrifice daughters.

How Palmer leaves office would make quite a story, but not in a 24 world of action.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Overall I enjoyed the finale except for a few head shakers. They really telegraphed the wife shooting Saunders. And the guy taking out two cops with a knife? As for the kids being in school, I'd forgotten whether all of LA was shut down or not but I thought it was. And putting the virus in a refrigerator? Did the cool temperature kill it or was it just because the door was air tight?

I forget, but did Jack tell Chase you had to be detached to do this job? Was that the word he used? Ironic, since Chase became detached from his hand.

Maybe Chase will come back like Luke and Anakin with a mechanical hand!

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
The next season could start with Palmer still in office - they can't keep making jumps of several years so next season's day could be a week later.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

Especially since Jane was in LA and would've died anyway had the virus been released.

If he was so concerned about his daughter why didn't he put her on a plane to Australia?

aldamon

Second Unit
Guys, I don't think Jack put the virus launcher in a "refrigerator." I'm pretty sure it was one of those containment units used to store dangerous or reactive chemicals. The chemistry labs in my Junior High and High School both had one. Since it looked like Jack cut off Chase's arm in a science wing, it would have been trivial to find the chemistry room.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

It was a refrigerator. I went back and paused it and you can clearly see an apple, bottle of soda, bottle of ketchup, etc. If the fridge was working properly, it should have been airtight enough to contain the virus until a CBW team got there to fully contain it, and I'm sure they would have had a team in route.

If you forgive the minor time flaws, this episode was great, and did a great job of clearing the slate for a fresh start next season. Knowing that it was Jack "I need a hacksaw" Baur, I knew he would cut off Chase's hand, but part of me still hoped the guy would call at the last moment.

Great stuff :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Or worse yet, right after Jack axes through Chase's foreman, the bomb expert calls back with "cut the yellow wire". Doh!

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Pretty good episode, although this season has been all over the map. Two things that irked me most were Jack losing his heroin addiction & Tony miraculously getting better.

From what I've read, season 4 won't start until January & will move to Monday nights. No more Tony, Michelle & Chase. Kim will do occasional guest appearances.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I always thought they should do a spin off series called CTU (hell, with 3 CSI and I don't know how many Law & Order series), to free up the time frame more, but with Tony going to prison and Kim off with Chase who does that leave? Chloe? Shudder

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is funny that the bomb squad, and this happens all over TV and movies, doesn't consider that wire color is completely arbitrary. Sure, the bomb maker probably has some convention, but its not necessary. They could have asked how many wires there were, what they were connected to, etc. But whatever.

With Palmer saying he wants to be better friends with Jack once he's out of office, I thought of the perfect scenario for season 4:
Jack and Palmer in a "Dude, Where's My Car" extended remake. Ah, I can see it in my head now, and it's good.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam

No remember this season takes place 3 years after Season 2, so Jack had not talked to Kate recently... well that we know of anyway. Would of been cool if he did contact her. I liked her in season 2.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Poor Chase. I suppose they never considered breaking bones or lopping off only a thumb. :)

Also, while Jack was on the walky talky, it seems kind of discourteous to not give the OK to evacuate the school after the terrorist was shot and he had identified that there were four minutes before detonation/release.

Jack being at the hospital answering questions about how Chase's surgery is going was an even grosser than usual stretch of the real time concept.

Regards,

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Here's the most important thing people in 24's world should take away from this show:

Pointing a gun at Kim Bauer = death. Just don't do it, it has never ended well, and it won't for you.

Dating Kim Bauer = dismemberment. Sure, we've only got two data points here, but I know that would give me pause, no matter how cute she is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks