What's new

24: Day 3 - 4/18/04 - Hour 18 (1 Viewer)

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
The more I think about this the more I think it was a bad move - assuming they didn't trick us somehow.

Jack deduced that Ryan was a target because of his ability to follow the money trail. But that was a bust as Chase's apartment infiltration proved. So why kill Chappelle? To buy time. Why didn't Palmer ask Saunders, "let's quit beating around the bush and get to what you really want?"

Jack should realize that Saunders either has a specific goal or request in mind or that he wants to release the virus and will do it no matter what. The Chappelle ordeal is just a ruse. There's no way that van is going to go to Saunders. He's too smart for that. I'm surprised Jack hasn't figured that out.

By giving in to Saunders' demands, Jack and Palmer are just giving him time to set up, without asking him what he really wants. I hope this is resolved satisfactorily because right now Jack and Palmer look like real wimps.

Daniel W

Agent
When Chappelle asked Jack to let him have the dignity to shoot himself, did anyone else wonder why they couldn't have just let him take one of those suicide pills?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Very good episode! After a VERY dodgy first half (I still miss the Salazars!) it's winding down very nicely. I just hope Jack gives Saunders a bit of the ole Ultra Violence in the final episode!

John Watson

Screenwriter
I also noticed the Security agent who had been loyal to Palmer appeared in last night's Alias, but I would hope there is no cross-pollination with 24 - those shows have NOTHING in common.

I'm starting to think that after all the compromises he's been making there is only one decent ending for Palmer. :frowning:

I still feel there is little insight into Saunder's motivation.

Much remains to resolve in the next few hours. (Said he, hopefully. :))

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Because Palmer's only hope appears to be to stall Saunders as long as possible in hopes that he is caught by CTU before his "endgame" is reached.

Regards,

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Jack knows, when he asked Adam to follow the van via satellite, he says something to the effect that he knows it won't lead to Saunders, but he wants it followed anyway. However, you never know what following the van could turn up.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
The problem I have with this is that it's Saunders that is stalling and Palmer should realize it. If Saunders was in a position to release the virus in a major way he would either just do it, or he would ask Palmer for what he really wants. Palmer should see that Saunders is just playing for time.

What's Palmer going to do if the next request is to kill Wayne, or Kim Bauer? Is he going to "stall" some more?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Saunders does have the potential to release, but not everything is in place yet so that is the reason for his stalling. Now the President could see this as a window of opportunity. I would consider immediately grounding any domestic flights that originated out of L.A. that are still in the air or have not de-boarded and then have everyone on the flights detained until the threat is over. I know they stopped air traffic, but flights must have gotten out with virus holders on them. But still that's pretty risky even if there is one guy with virus out there that made it into a large city, it could still be disaserous.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Where's the blood?!?!??!!

I mean this series has no reservations about showing blood and stuff..but a shot to the back of the head and no brains/blood all over..ESPECIALLY with Jack that close???

I dunno...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can see an exit wound from a point blank bullet to the head to be a little bit extreme for a prime time network show.

Luke_H

Stunt Coordinator
Did sounders actually know Chapelle? I dont think he did. If that was the case why didn't they try to pass off a body as chapelle. They can update the fingerprint/records database to link the body double and the name Ryan chapelle, in case saunders checked him out or something.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They did take action to take advantage of Saunders' stalling by stopping all flights out of L.A.. This resulted in some of Saunders' agents not being in place to release the virus and potentially saved many lives.

Regards,

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Saunders did mention in the previous episode that he did know Chappelle. And again, trying to pull a super ruse would have been far too risky.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
So, if Saunders asks for the death of someone else, say Wayne or Jack Bauer, or Tony Almeda, does Palmer do it?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately it would would have to be considered if it means the chance to delay any release of more virus and give CTU more time to find Saunders.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
So what if Saunders orders Jack to kill everyone in CTU? Where does it end? Now that Palmer has given in to the terrorists, crossed the line as he put it, I don't see how they can stop it. Saunders can delay forever now, and even if they catch him who is to say that he hasn't instructed his people to release the virus at certain times unless he instructs them otherwise.

I just wish this angle had at least been mentioned during the show, but the writers probably realized how illogical it would make their scenario. Even Chappelle could have said to Jack, "what if Kim is next on the list? Will you kill her?"

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Also, regarding Jack having to kill Chapelle. Remember last season, Palmer authorized Nina to kill Jack. It's not like we haven't seen this kind of decision making process before. If it's for the good of the nation, Palmer is willing to cut corners. I know it's a rough call giving in to a terrorist's demands and killing an innocent man to stall a release...but if Palmer doesn't, the release is certain.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

If Chappelle was not able to shoot himself, why would he have it in him to swallow a suicide pill? A bullet to the back of the head is just as painless and quicker anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks