What's new

20th DVD any suggestions?? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm looking to buying my 20th DVD. I know 20 doesn't seem like much but I've long considered it my high water mark (at least until I reach 100
biggrin.gif
) anyways, I want my 20th DVD to be something special since it took this long to get to this point. I'm strongly considering either buying "The Abyss Special Edition" or "Fight Club" is there any other suggestions that you guys would like to offer? my other option is too wait for 8/28 and "Forrest Gump" what should I do? thanks.
-Keith-

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Well ... The Abyss is a really good choice, but you need to be aware that the presentation is non-anamorphic and the aspect ratio is 2.35:1. That's never a good combination. Having said that, I have to admit that this is one of the better non-anamorphic presentations out there and the provided extras are awesome.
As for another "suggestion" ... It really depends on what you like and what you already have.
Since you mentioned a James Cameron film then I'm going to assume that you already own the T2:UE Release. The Aliens SE Directors' Cut is surely already in your collection as well. If not, then these are certainly two that can be highly recommended.
Joseph

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Here's some discs your library HAS to have:
Lawrence of Arabia (no-brainer) anamorphic, DD 5.1 and original 70mm sound (I prefer the 5.1...it's more enveloping)
North By Northwest (no brainer) anamorphic, DD 5.1
O Brother Where Art Thou (anamorphic, DTS, DD 5.1)
It Happened One Night (no-brainer) mono (1934 film)
Wizard of Oz (no-brainer) DD 5.1 (excellent remix), TONS of extras...the original mono isn't on the disc, I think...but the scratchy mono sound wouldn't match the excellent restored image. This has to be the best mono to 5.1 remix ever made (the original dialogue, music, and sound effects tracks appear to have been used.)
Superman: The Movie (EXCELLENT disc. No original stereo, but I think Richard Donner said on the commentary track with Tom Mankewitz that the original sound mix wasn't very good...the 5.1 remix is GREAT)
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Just buy Fight Club. It is easily best DVD I own and will also be the best movie I own until one of BTTF, Indy or SW comes out. Apart from anything else it really benefits from re-watching and has some superb commentaries.
Theo

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
To state the obvious, your 20th DVD should be one of the excellent titles from 20th Century Fox, even if this is the 21st Century.
wink.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
A few I would recomend that have not been mentioned:
Pitch Black
Men in Black: CE
Ghostbusters: SE
Three Kings
Se7en: CE
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Here are some basic DVDs or collections for anyones library:
Superman
Saving Private Ryan
Matrix
Alien (the first three)
se7en CE
Fight Club
Bond (Almost any of them)
Hitchcock (I recommend Psycho, NxNW, Vertigo, Birds, Trouble w Harry..my fav..its fucking hilarious!)
Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box
T2 UE
Just wanted to throw a few ideas your way

Calvin Cullen

Stunt Coordinator
Die Hard: Five Star Collection.
I'm not the world's biggest fan of this movie, but I cannot recommend the DVD highly enough. The supplements do an amazing job of revealing the effort and ingenuity that went into the making of the film. The audio and video quality are excellent as well.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Keith,
No fair asking if you don't tell us what you already have!
Try Lawrence of Arabia. You won't be disappointed - this is probably the best film ever made and it's available in a very decent DVD special edition.
Either that or Das Boot. Forget the hassle that it's a flipper - it's worth the trouble of turning it over when you have another Becks (product placement joke).
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Fight Club. No question here. This was the one that finally sold me the player last June, and I still love the disc. Great film, and a great DVD.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
how about Brazil: Criterion Collection?... it is 3 Discs long (with the Director's Cut on one disc, another with the butchered televison cut, and a third disc filled with hours of extras) and it is easily the most comprehensive DVD set that I have EVER encountered... it should be the crown jewel to any serious DVD collection... plus it is one of my favorite films
biggrin.gif

Fight Club is definately one of my favorite discs too (I believe it was also my first two disc set)... The sound on the disc can be summed up in one word, AMAZING! FOUR...count em' FOUR commentary tracks and just a freakin' bucketload of extras... and it is one of the best films of the 90's IMHO.
I am up to 78 discs and am wondering what I should get for the big 1 0 0 ...Any of you guys have an extra Spinal Tap: Criterion Collection you are willing to donate?
wink.gif

------------------
Robert Lutter

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I would advise you NOT to buy any DVD just because it's done well or would cap off your collection well. Only buy movies you love to watch, what's the point otherwise?
-Tom

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Third Man of course! One of Criterion's best discs - a great presentation of a genuine classic.
I'll also recommend the upcoming Criterion edition of Sullivan's Travels - it looks to be a superb disc and ST is a one terrific movie. Veronica Lake, oh my!
biggrin.gif

And of course, you simply must have Chicken Run!
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Well i got The Abyss dvd for my 25th dvd, adn it is absolutely excellent, i watched the docus and have spent about an hour with teh text material but still barely delved into it (i wish more discs went so in depth). I was actually hoping for Spartacus CC to be my 25th, but my brother gave me my birthday present early (the abyss), so hopefully I"ll get spartacus from my mom as well :)

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,
My Suggestion would be "The Gift" an excellent little thriller from last year (2000) which has it all atmosphere with an excellent "cajun creepy score" and a great story. It is a Paramount disc excellent Tranfer with a few extras which stars Cate Blanchette ("Elizabeth"), Katie Holmes ("Wonder Boys"), Keanu Reeves and Oscar Winner Hilary Swank ("Boys Don't Cry") A truly Creepy Engaging Story easily the best Thriller of 2000.
------------------
Ed Vandeweerd
[email protected]
my collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks