What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Studio Classics' DVD Series (2 Viewers)

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
:laugh: unfortunately there is no corpse smiley, but if there was, I guess it would look like me :b

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I second the release of Keys of the Kingdom. This was on laser in a poor master. It was remastered later for Cinemax hich had much better picture and sound.
Valley of the Dolls was on laser in pretty good picture and sound. there is a new master running on Fox movies in MONO and with pretty poor picture.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Far from "thread crapping", Mr. Epstein, Valley Of The Dolls (a film I'm quite fond of) is near legendary as one of the most disastrous films of the 1960's and indeed, the author of the novel it was based on, Jacqueline Susann hated what they did to her book.

The film inevitably makes the worst film of all time lists and audiences broke out into hysterical laughter during the film's most intense dramatic scenes. The film nearly wrecked Patty Duke's career and the reviews for the film were cruel.

In one of the kinder reviews of the film, HTF member Douglas Pratt of DVDlaser.com in his newsletter review of the laser disc said: " ... the acting in the film is awkward and embarassing but the film thrives on the glamour of incompetence and the worse it gets the more enjoyable it feels."

The San Francisco Examiner called it "absolute trash".

The Austin Chronicle said "You won't want to miss a word of the deliciously bad dialogue"

Movieline magazine said "Amid fierce competition to give the campiest, most like a drag queen performance, Patty Duke waltzes off with those dubious honors ..... delirious claptrap"

TV Guide referred to it as "pure trash".

From Ozu's World Movie Reviews, "you'll need some kind of pill to sit through this dreck"

Well, you get the picture. I take it you are unfamiliar with this title, Mr. Epstein? Its legion of fans (mostly but not limited to gay men) love it precisely because of its awfulness.

Still, I hadn't realized that pointing out the obvious was considered "thread crapping".

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Great news about The Snake Pit!!!!! Olivia De Havilland at her best. But I was very disappointed about the last 2 titles: Zorba, the greek and The prime of miss Jean Brodie. I don`t think they are really classics (both were made in the 60's). Fox should pay more attention for it catalog titles from the 30's, 40's and 60's. I really thought we would see The Black Swan, Drums along the Mohawk, Laura and Heaven can wait as Studio Classic Titles in 2004.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Even after August, there is still four months left in 2004. Also, I don't agree with you about "Zorba" not being a classic since the film was released 40 years ago and the two main actors are unfortunately, not with us any longer.

Crawdaddy

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
nice to have a clearer picture of the rest of the SC titles, but for me this is seeming a lot like last year- where there were a bunch of titles i wanted released early in the year, and then nothing that interested me until Oct, and a big finish with Zorro, Ox-Bow (and we were hoping Laura).

maybe the last four months will bring one of the ones on my wish-list.
as it is, none of the ones mentioned i'm particularly interested in (though i may check out Snake-Pit).

does anyone know if Fox owns Since You Went Away?
it was released by them on LD, but i can't remember if there was a change in rights since then.
i would love to see that get a place in the SCs.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
By the way AMC did a BACKSTORY on "VALLEY OF THE DOLLS"
featured Judy Garlands outtakes as HELEN LAWSON,
and Raquel Welch's screen test for Jennifer North,
that eventually went to the doomed Sharon Tate.
And a few other things, such as the disaster premiere.
So, it was a great backstory, and these are part of
the STUDIO CLASSICS, the backstory line ?

Charles H

Screenwriter
One of the advantages of giving priority to ZORBA and JEAN BRODIE would be to offer audio commentaries from survivors. Darryl Hickman is the only survivor from LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN since Jeanne Crain recently passed away. Maureen O'Hara (THE BLACK SWAN) recently published her autobiography. I'd love to see a Tyrone Power box set (CAPTAIN FROM CASTILLE, PRINCE OF FOXES, THE BLACK ROSE, KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES, BLOOD AND SAND) since he was arguably Fox's most important box office commodity--next to Shirley Temple.

I read somewhere that VALLEY OF THE DOLLS was/was going to be released as a double feature with Meyer's BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS in R2. (That should have Susann spinning in her urn.)

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (and all post-GONE WITH THE WIND Selznicks) now reside with MGM from a recent Anchor Bay acquisition.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That would be fantastic. Put me down for one!

As for the coming releases, it's great news - particularly on Zorba and Jean Brodie.

---
So many films, so little time...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the info, Charles.
sad to hear though- i have little affection for MGM.
at least there would be no widescreen AR for them to screw up with that film.

they probably aren't listening, but a huge thank you to Fox!
just watched Peyton Place this morning.
wonderful job they did with it- so much so that i don't mind paying full retail for it :).

Alistair_M

Second Unit
should these be full screen? alarm bells are ringing - on imdb it says Prime of Miss Jean Brodie was 1.85:1

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/daily_news.html

» FOX STUDIO CLASSICS

Details have just come in to us for the next two
entries in 20th Century Fox's Studio Classics
line. Due on July 6th is the 1969 Oscar-winner The
Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, starring Maggie Smith
as the randy schoolmarm. The disc will come with a
new fullscreen transfer, Dolby Digital 2.0 audio,
an audio commentary with director Ronald Neame and
actress Pamela Franklin, a behind-the-scenes
featurette, trailers and more. Due on August 3rd
is 1964's Zorba the Greek, starring Anthony Quinn
in his quintessential role. This disc will arrive
with a newly remastered fullscreen transfer, Dolby
Digital 2.0 audio, a feature-length commentary
track with director Michael Cacoyannis, the
"Anthony Quinn: A Lust For Life" Biography episode
from A&E, an alternate introduction to the film,
Movietone newsreel footage and trailers. Retail is
$14.98 apiece.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, what is the story with the aspect ratio of "The
Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"? Releasing this Fullscreen would be a big mistake.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm not worried about Jean Brodie and Zorba. Fox Studio Classics is top of the line and they've never botched it yet and all of their titles have been in their original theatrical ratio. Until we get official confirmation from Fox, I'm not going to worry about rumors.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is indeed 1.85 anamorphic... I made a typo in yesterday's news post. As for Zorba, as far as I can tell from the early specs I was sent, it's fullscreen.

Oliver_Groth

Agent
Over here in Europe we've recently seen Fox release a VALLEY OF THE DOLLS & BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS double feature set in the UK in January. Sadly BTVOTD is a non-amorphic transfer, but looks much better than the old LD.

And last month a very nice looking disc of LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (Todsünde) was released as a bare bones disc in Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks