What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Film Noir Classics' DVD Series (1 Viewer)

ted:r

Second Unit
The flyer inside Fox's "Fallen Angel" is odd to say the least. It displays 12 Noir films, including 3 to be "Available December 6, 2005" Among those 3 is "No Way Out", which was just released today.

Hmmmmm...Isn't anyone at Fox paying at least some attention? I must say, though, that as long as they keep releasing Noir, I'll be in a forgiving mood!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Just picked up the latest 3 today! I'm psyched! So many of these I have been seeing for the first time.

BTW, is there anyone out there that can scan the insert/booklet of "Nightmare Alley" for me? My copy didn't come with the insert and I'm feeling a little ripped off! If it was just a chapter listing I wouldn't mind, but Fox has been doing a nice job on those inserts with info on the films.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I watched No Way Out tonight. Great Film with excellent performances by Sidney Poitier and Of Course Richard Widmark. Pretty daring subject matter given the time produced. I picked up the Other releases as well. I've really fell in love with the series, what a great price point for these. Hopefully there's more to come and I need to fill in my collection I picked up Laura and Whirlpool as well, Now I need to find a few more, I'll go to the top for the coplete list... Ric I did'nt now your a Noir Fan...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Is there a new version of DI Coming, Is the Old version that poor?

I was missing about 7 of the Fox disks but I took care of that yesterday I Ordered the ones I was missing.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a new version of DI Coming, Is the Old version that poor?
As far as I know, Universal has still not made any plans to reissue Double Indemnity, which is insane since it's generally considered the film noir, and would be a big seller if they'd put it out there.

The old version is watchable, but isn't very good, and on top of that, is out of print.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
According to Amazon and TLA Video, the following noirs will be released on June 6th.
Boomerang
Extras: Deleted Scenes
Audio commentary (Film Historians Alain Silver and Jame Ursini)
Poster Gallery
Photo gallery
House of Strangers
Extras: Trailers
Audio commentary (Film Author & Historian Foster Hirsch)
Photo gallery
I Wake Up Screaming
Extras: Trailers
Audio commentary (Film Noir Historian Eddie Muller)
Production Stills Gallery; Unit Photography Gallery
Photo gallery

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I am looking forward to watching this week's Film Noir releases this weekend, and now this news!

Boomerang with deleted scenes and House of Strangers, a film I have always wanted to see! That's great!

My favorite of the bunch though is I Wake Up Screaming, a fascinating film noir. I have always wondered how they got "Over The Rainbow" as part of the film's main theme, and I hope the commentary deals with that. Also, although it is not mentioned, I hope they release the musical number(s)? they cut when the first preview bombed. One of them is on either volume 1 or 2 of Hidden Hollywood.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Great news! More must-haves! :) :emoji_thumbsup:
However, I'm beginning to wonder how many other "Fox Noir" titles have to be released in this series before they get to ROAD HOUSE (1948), FOURTEEN HOURS (1951), THE LODGER (1944) and HANGOVER SQUARE (1945). Top films in the genre that one would think would come out sooner in the line rather than later. I'd also include CRY OF THE CITY (1948) in this elite group, though I heard rumors awhile back that Criterion was going to tackle that one.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
wow! great line-up coming up. If they do pan out, it will be the first time i will be buying all three.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Great news indeed - three outstanding top tier noirs with my preference being Boomerang. Regarding I Wake Up Screaming, it'll be interesting to see if they eventually release the inferior 1953 remake, Vicki - nonetheless, still a solid noir.
However, I'm beginning to wonder how many other "Fox Noir" titles have to be released in this series before they get to ROAD HOUSE (1948), FOURTEEN HOURS (1951)
Peter... someone (a "reliable source") recently posted at The Blackboard that Fourteen Hours was in the works and soon to be released. I bet we see it in the next wave.
Herb.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Mine also, since the actual case in which the film was based on, happened in my hometown and they filmed some of the movie there, it kind of peeked my interest after watching this film for the first time about 40 years ago. The other two films are excellent too.

I would think that Fourteen Hours and Road House should be released this year.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks