What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Film Noir Classics' DVD Series (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Peter,

Those are great titles and I'll add them ASAP.

Herb,

Excellent work! I'll get to adding those to the wish list very shortly.

I hope you get to do some of the reviews of this new series from Fox. Perhaps Adam will trade you for some Warner titles?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
DVDBeaver.com has posted reviews with screenshots of R2 PAL releases by BFI of Where the Sidewalk Ends, Fallen Angel, and Whirlpool.
http://www.reviews.dvdbeaver.com/
Would this have any bearing on if or when Fox may release these for R1?

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Any more news on the Fox noir list?

Obviously LAURA is one of the main reasons for asking, but the list of titles included throughout this thread are uniformly exciting so I certainly hope these start appearing soon.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Press release courtesy of davisdvd.com reveals first five titles for WARNER Noir Collection (these were mentioned in the HTF chat). Where's Fox's version?:
FIVE OF THE HARD BOILED GENRE'S GREATEST HITS IN...
THE FILM NOIR CLASSIC COLLECTION
The Asphalt Jungle, Murder My Sweet, The Set Up, Out of the Past, Gun Crazy
All New DVDs Digitally Remastered for their Warner Home Video DVD Debuts
Burbank, CA (April 14, 2004) -- Murder is for keeps and happy endings are for saps when Warner Home Video (WHV) introduces The Film Noir Classic Collection on July 27th -- all-new DVD titles including John Huston’s The Asphalt Jungle, Murder My Sweet, The Set Up, Out of the Past and Gun Crazy. Titles will be available in both a five-disc set, for $49.92 SRP, or individually for $19.97 SRP.
The DVDs feature commentaries from directors Robert Wise and Martin Scorsese and actor James Whitmore as well as other film noir experts Alain Silver, Jim Ursini and Glenn Erickson.
Film Noir: Shadows. Lies. Private Eyes.
The term "'Film Noir" was first used by French critic Nino Frank in a 1946 essay in which he singled out Murder My Sweet as a quintessential noir film. Francois Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard later popularized the genre with their "Nouvelle Vague" films of the 1960s. Eddie Muller, author of three acclaimed books on Film Noir, says, "For many movie-lovers, Noir is all about style: kanted camera angles, dense shadows, a romantic, doom-laden atmosphere, always in shimmering, high-contrast black and white. In truth, that's what most people think of as Noir - rain-slick streets, guys in fedoras, dames in slinky gowns slipping into glistening Packards… Film Noir is the flip side of the all-American success story. It's about people who realize that following the program will never get them what they crave. So they cross the line, commit a crime and reap the consequences."
The WHV Film Noir Classic Collection
The Asphalt Jungle (1950) Nominated for four Academy Awards and long considered a noir classic, John Huston’s heist film about a million-dollar jewelry store burglary stars Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern, James Whitmore and features an early appearance by Marilyn Monroe in just her seventh film. The DVD bonus material includes an introduction by John Huston, commentary by USC Cinema History professor Drew Casper with James Whitmore and the theatrical trailer.
Murder, My Sweet (1944) Starring Dick Powell and Claire Trevor, the film captures perfectly the sharp wit and style of Raymond Chandler’s novel Farewell, My Lovely, about a gumshoe Philip Marlowe searching for a missing moll named Velma. Renamed so American filmgoers wouldn’t mistake it as a Powell musical; it turned the actor’s career around, helping him to shun his choir-boy image. Edward Dmytryk directed. The DVD extra content includes commentary by film noir expert and Prime Suspects producer Alain Silver and the theatrical trailer.
The Set-Up (1944) Robert Wise directs noir icons Robert Ryan and Audrey Totter in the movie, set in boxing’s palooka world, about a down-on-his luck fighter who thinks he’s one bout away from the big payoff. The DVD bonus material includes commentary by Robert Wise and Martin Scorsese.
Out Of The Past (1947) Another definitive noir classic (remade in 1984 as “Against All Odds” with Jeff Bridges and Rachel Ward) about a trio to reckon with – a troubled PI (Robert Mitchum), a drop-dead beauty (Jane Greer) and a moneyed mobster (Kirk Douglas). Mitchum plays Jeff Bailey, the private eye hired to find mobster Whit Sterling’s (Douglas) mistress Kathie (Greer) who had shot Whit and absconded with $40,000. The film winds up in Acapulco…where the luscious Kathie makes Jeff forget all about Sterling. The DVD extra content includes commentary by film noir expert Jim Ursini.
Gun Crazy (1949) Peggy Cummins and John Dall star in this cult favorite, shockingly dark and brutal for its time, directed by Joseph H. Lewis. A searing forerunner to Bonnie and Clyde, the film tells the story of a gun-obsessed twosome who meet at a carnival, run off to get married and then commit a string of daring robberies across the country. The screenplay was adapted by MacKinlay Kantor from his magazine article and was co-written by the blacklisted Dalton Trumbo, credited under the name Millard Kaufman. The DVD bonus material includes commentary by film noir expert Glenn Erickson.
The Film Noir Classic Collection
$19.97 SRP (per title)
$49.92 SRP (collection)
Street Date: July 27, 2004

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The pricing on these Warner box sets (see also Tarzan, Marx Bros.) makes it just about impossible to pass them up. Five classic noirs at about $7 a pop (assuming Amazon's standard 30% pre-order discount)? I am so there.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, but please forgive me if I missed it:
In Barrie Maxwell's column yesterday he confirmed that "Laura" would be in one of the first waves of Fox Noir titles (but not necessarily in the first wave if I interpret this correctly):
Film noir fans will be interested to know that Fox's Film Noir series is now planned for a March 2005 kick-off. Among the earliest offerings will be Laura, Panic in the Streets, Call Northside 777, House of Bamboo, and The Street with No Name.
His entire article can be found here.
Mr. Maxwell is one my favorite columnists on DVD matters and he does his usual excellent job with this one.
Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, but please forgive me if I missed it:
In Barrie Maxwell's column yesterday he confirmed that "Laura" would be in one of the first waves of Fox Noir titles (but not necessarily in the first wave if I interpret this correctly):
Film noir fans will be interested to know that Fox's Film Noir series is now planned for a March 2005 kick-off. Among the earliest offerings will be Laura, Panic in the Streets, Call Northside 777, House of Bamboo, and The Street with No Name.
His entire article can be found here.
Mr. Maxwell is one my favorite columnists on DVD matters and he does his usual excellent job with this one.
Steve

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about the long delay in updating this thread.

Now that the series is finally taking shape I'll do my best to keep the list current.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Nils... couple others we can scratch or move to the on-deck circle; Night and the City & Thieve's Highway - both to be released in February by Criterion. Mondo Digital is reporting that Anchor Bay will be releasing Kiss Of Death (1947) sometime in 2005.
Fox Wave 2, scheduled for June 7th, is supposed to include House of Bamboo, Nightmare Alley and Street with No Name. Wave 3 is tentatively set for September 6th and supposed to include The Dark Corner, The Lodger, and Hangover.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Are these going to be numbered like the Fox Studio Classics series? If so, I might pick all of them up instead of just the titles I'm really interested in.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Mike... when we attended Fox back in September, I was left with the impression the new line would be similar to their current War Classics line... an informal grouping of titles released every so often.

But given the amount of changes, delays, cancellations etc., I'd take covers drawn with crayons... Considering what WB (and others did) last year with their noir titles, there is great potential with this line. A simple trip to eBay with a "noir DVD" search will show what these things are going for. Fingers crossed...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks Herb. The numbers aren't a key to buying them but as a collector, I'd probably pick them all up to have a complete "collection". I'm interested in all of the rumored titles, although I'm not too familiar with HOUSE OF BAMBOO. This isn't on my to buy list yet...

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anyone know why this collection was delayed for so long?

I am not complaining if the quality was enhanced, so we could get a better product, but it just seems like we have all been waiting for Laura forever!

DaveK

Second Unit
Sometimes when I watch movies on The Fox Channel, the quality of the old movies (e.g. Fallen Angel, Forever Amber, Leave Her to Heaven) are not that great. Do they clean-up these movies for release on DVD or is it the same quality?

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
From a 12/13/04 Variety article about catalog titles on DVD:

"For the film and TV catalog, you look for the hook that's going to get attention for consumers and retailers," said Todd Rowan, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment marketing VP. "There's any number of things that trigger interest--a major theatrical release you want to attach to, anniversaries."

Before Fox's 1944 noir film Laura lands on store shelves, for instance, Rowan needs to tie it to some event. "Maybe there will be a another film lovers' [type] movie that will come out on DVD that will drive foot traffic to stores. So that could be a time [for Laura]," he said.

I would've thought that the release of one of the "most wanted" film classics would be event enough.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I would've thought that the release of one of the "most wanted" film classics would be event enough.
Yes, which is precisely why Fox pulled it from its scheduled release as part of the Studio Classic series and are using it to kick start their upcoming series of Film Noirs. With the amount of interest and demand for Laura Fox is hoping consumers will then 'discover' some of their lesser known film noir titles.
While the delay has been unfortunate, it will only have been just a little over a year from when Fox was originally planning to release it. Which in terms of many other LONG delayed DVD releases, isn't terribly long at all.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
From DVD Talk:

Call Northside 777

STREET DATE: DVD: 3/15/2005

MPAA RATING (US): UR

RUNNING TIME: 111

DVD SRP (US): $14.98

AUDIO: English Stereo, Mono; French Mono

VIDEO: 1.33:1

SUBTITLES: English, Spanish

In 1932, a cop is killed and Frank Wiecek sentenced to life. Eleven years later, a newspaper ad by Frank's mother leads Chicago reporter P.J. O'Neal to look into the case. When he begins to investigate he meets increased resistance from authorities unwilling to be proved wrong.

Bonus:

- Feature, commentary by James Ursiniand Alain Silver

- Trailer

- Fox Movietone News Clips: Motion Picture Stars Attend the Premiere of "Call Northside 777"

- Fox Noir: House of Bamboo, Panic in the Streets, The Street with No Name

House of Bamboo

RUNNING TIME: 102

AUDIO: English Stereo, Mono; Spanish Mono; French Mono

VIDEO: 2.35:1

In Tokyo a ruthless gang holds up U.S. ammunition trains. Ex-serviceman Eddie Spannier arrives from the States apparently at the invitation of one such unfortunate. But, Eddie isn't quite what he seems.

Bonus:

- Feature, commentary by Alain Silver and James Ursini

- Trailer, Spanish Trailer

- Fox Movietone News Cips: Behind the scenes footage, Landing In Japan

- Fox Noir: Call Northside 777, Laura, Panic In The Streets, The Street with No Name

Panic in the Streets

RUNNING TIME: 96

AUDIO: English Stereo, Mono

VIDEO: 1.37:1

One night in the New Orleans slums, vicious hoodlum Blackie and his friends kill an illegal immigrant who won too much in a card game. When Dr. Clint Reed confirms the dead man had pneumonic plague he must find and inoculate the killers and their associates. Can a doctor turn detective? He has 48 hours to try ...

Bonus:

- Feature, commentary by Alain Silver and Jame Ursini

- Trailer

- Fox Noir: Call Northside 777, House of Bamboo, Laura, The Street With No Name

Laura

MPAA RATING (Canada): 14A

RUNNING TIME: 88 Minutes

DVD SRP (Canada): $16.98

AUDIO: English Stereo, English Mono, Spanish Mono, French Mono

SUBTITLES: Spanish

The shocking killing of a Park Avenue society beauty in her apartment brings Detective Mark McPherson (Dana Andrews) to New York’s most elegant neighborhood. As he tries to get inside the head of the victim, Laura Hunt (Gene Tierney), he also questions the men in her life – the acerbic critic Waldo Lydecker (Clifton Webb) and playboy fiancé Shelby Carpenter (Vincent Price). Lulled by her stunning portrait, fine liquor and classical music, McPherson doesn’t know he’s in for a heart-stopping shock with the sudden appearance of a woman who seems to be Laura herself. Steeped in suspense, heightened reality and witty sophistication, Laura leads to a shocking climax.

Bonus:

- Commentary 1-David Raskin & Janine Basinger

- Commentary 2-Rudy Behlmer

- Biography: Jean Tierney; Vincent Price

- Restoration Comparison (TBD)

- Theatrical trailer

- Movie Tone News: TBD

- Still Gallery (TBD)

- Fox Studio Classics cross-promo trailers: (TBD)

Nightmare Alley

STREET DATE: DVD: 6/7/2005

RUNNING TIME: 110 Minutes

Street With No Name

STREET DATE: DVD: 6/7/2005

RUNNING TIME: 91 Minutes

The Dark Corner

STREET DATE: DVD: 9/6/2005

RUNNING TIME: 99 Minutes

Hangover Square

STREET DATE: DVD: 9/6/2005

RUNNING TIME: 77 Minutes

Hangover Square? HANGOVER SQUARE????? Right on!!!!!!!

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Amazon.com lists LAURA with an extended version and a deleted scene (with commentary) as extra features. Does anyone have any idea of what these might be and what has happened to them?

Jason-D

Agent
In reference to extended version and deleted scene in Laura.

POTENTIAL SPOILER

From what I've read the original screenplay and the film as originally edited ended with the revelation that all of the scenes that the character Laura actually appeared in were a dream or a fantasy. This could represent an extended version, a deleted scene or both. I hadn't realised that any of this material still survived.

End

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks