What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Film Noir Classics' DVD Series (1 Viewer)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
According to MoviesUnlimited:

Question: Hi, Irv. Do you know if Fox has stopped their film noir titles on DVD? Will we ever see Boomerang, the 1947 title with Dana Andrews? -- (via email)

Answer: Thanks for writing. Yes, Fox is committed to more film noirs in the future—the collections reportedly do very well for the studio. And Boomerang, which had been previously announced and withdrawn, would likely be part of an upcoming set. Elia Kazan’s smashing 1947 suspenser about a state’s attorney (Andrews) trying to defend a drifter in a murder case in Connecticut, is based on a real incident that occurred in the 1920s.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
As much as I want this to be true, Movies Unlimited is not the most reliable source of info.
Here, he refers to "collections" and "sets" with regards to the Fox Noirs. They've all been single releases. Eddie Muller, who would have much better insight, recently reported that Boomerang was dead in the water.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I guess I should have more aggressively pursued getting Boomerang when it was in stores briefly. With my backlog of unwatched noirs at the time I figured it was just going to be delayed for awhile and I'd pick it up later.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Hard for me to give up hope, I feel quite confident the Fox Film Noir Collection will resume.......:) I would especially love to have Road House (48) on DVD.

Ali B

Second Unit
Are there any plans by Fox to ever create a boxset (or boxsets) of their film noir titles? Although you can get them for $9 a title now I'd still rather pay a bit less if I'm going to buy the lot.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Amazon sells a complete collection of Fox Film Noir titles (minus recalled Boomerang!). Currently it's 50% off

Ali B

Second Unit
I'd love to get that set, but the customs charge on it is going to be huge here in the UK! That and the saving of only ~$1 a disc makes me cautious.... If only they'd been in slimline packaging - I'm rapidly running out of shelf space here!

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Something interesting I saw in the extras for upcoming The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing which will be released as part of The Joan Collins Superstar Collection on July 10.
Fox Noir:
- Daisy Kenyon
- Black Widow
- Fourteen Hours
- House of Strangers
Most likely, it's the trailers for these films and 2 of them were not released on DVD yet.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I just recently purchased this series of Fox Noirs from Amazon and found Boomarang on ebay for $28. Is this series dead at 21 as I have read elsewhere, or will Fox at least fullfill the 24 they talked about earlier? I'm really enjoying these titles and would love to see the series continue.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Weren't we supposed to get Hangover Square and The Lodger? I can't imagine any reason why Fox would just abandon these two.

ted:r

Second Unit
Matt Stieg said:
I can't imagine any reason why Fox would just abandon these two.
It's difficult most times to imagine the release decisions about almost any company (except the WB, who at least are very buyer friendly about their decisions). Fox also has (the non-noir) "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn", "Viva Zapata!" and "The Gunfighter", amongst many others, still a-moldering on it's shelves.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Speaking of the Lodger, I ordered what I thought was a legit copy of from ebay. The packaging was very nice, but it had to be a bootleg. It had the worst image quality I have ever seen on a DVD. It seems to have been mastered from a worn out VHS tape. The only thing worst then the image quality was the audio. I'm sorry I ever ordered the thing.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I am still hoping we will see a legit release of THE LODGER via Fox at some point since an audio commentary was recorded for it last year...

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It was already announced as part of Fox Horror Classics. They probably made the cover before changing marketing for it. The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing was supposed to be part of film noir series as well - see my post above about the trailers they had listed on the DVD at some point. Daisy Kenyon and Black Widow were recently confirmed as part of upcoming Fox Film Noir.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
In the Charlie Chan 3 box set there is a flyer, with cover art, promoting DAISY KENYON, BLACK WIDOW, and DANGEROUS CROSSING as being part of the Noir line.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Has there been any news of additional titles in the Fox Film Noir series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks