What's new

20th Century Fox --- 75th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Fox deserves praise for putting out this set, it looks like a ton of work went into putting together a terrific product full of catalog titles. If you can't afford it, move on. Keeping titles exclusive is part of the reason to entice people to buy the set.  

Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

Battlebeast--I assume some of the best picture winners & nominees you've amassed are in formats other than DVD, as I started on the same quest more than 30 years ago, moving on from VHS, to Beta, to Laser Discs, to S-VHS, to DVD & DVD-R, upgrading where possible as time went along. Fortunately, I've kept everything, but have stalled still needing four titles: The Racket, The Patriot, East Lynne and White Parade. I 've done the same thing with Best Acting and Supporting, needing less than 20 of these, some of which are always mentioned as missing films. Have to run now, but I'll get back with a tips on at least a few titles you've been mentioning.

The Patriot is lost, The Racket I saw just recently on a multifilm set of public domain titles at Barnes and Nobles. East Lynne and White Parade have never been released on Home video or aired on Television, so bootlegs don't exist unless a collector has made a video version of a film print, and they have only been telecined at UCLA film archive.

East Lynne and White Parade are both FOX titles, East Lynne has been telecined twice (once in the seventies, once a few years ago), and White Parade was just telecined for the first time in February of this year, so it's only recently become available for viewing at UCLA (I had hoped that the new telecine of White Parade meant Fox would release it as part of their anniversary year, but apparently not).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am not sure that praise is what is warranted here. A good job might be in order, but the problem is not the price point. My problem is that over the years I have supported Fox, Warner's, & Sony by purchasing all but the five new titles. At an average cost of $10.00 a flick that would be $100.00 I have already spent on titles that are in the collection. In my weird world the collection cost is $250.00 not $150.00 MSPR. I can afford it, but I am going to move on. None of the five titles are worth it.

Kazan is a great director and deserves the praise, not Fox for throwing us a few new bones with a bunch of old bones. For any collector and lover of film that does not have more that four or five of those titles, then this is a great deal, so go for it. The customers that have purchased these titles and many other titles from Fox, this is a slap in our face and my support for Fox is waning daily. If the rumors of Cavalcade being included in a box set only are true, then I am done with Fox and their great 75th Anniversary.

Originally Posted by Adam_S

Fox deserves praise for putting out this set, it looks like a ton of work went into putting together a terrific product full of catalog titles. If you can't afford it, move on. Keeping titles exclusive is part of the reason to entice people to buy the set.  

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by RUrahrah

Battlebeast--I assume some of the best picture winners & nominees you've amassed are in formats other than DVD, as I started on the same quest more than 30 years ago, moving on from VHS, to Beta, to Laser Discs, to S-VHS, to DVD & DVD-R, upgrading where possible as time went along. Fortunately, I've kept everything, but have stalled still needing four titles: The Racket, The Patriot, East Lynne and White Parade. I 've done the same thing with Best Acting and Supporting, needing less than 20 of these, some of which are always mentioned as missing films. Have to run now, but I'll get back with a tips on at least a few titles you've been mentioning.

Actually, they are ALL on DVD/Blue Ray. Some of the titles I have copied to DVD via my PVR Via TUrner Classic. Most others have come from The Warner Archives and regualr DVDs.

As for The Patriot It is lost, but I have a DVD made up of the Trailer and some other bonus features.

The Racket Is available now on DVD in a 8 film collection called "The Envelope, Please," or "The Academy Collection, Vol. 1" which I have.

A couple of films I have in bootleg versions (State Fair, The Pied Piper.)

But yes, any help would be most helpful!

I thought about getting all the actors, and actress; lord knows I already have many of them. But, I have no where to keep all my dvds right now! I need a bigger rack! (I ahve something like 700 Movies and TV sets, as well as concerts, music videos and hockey game sets.)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by ntnon

Is there still no information on the "Quad" set #10...? It should surely be out by now, but doesn't seem to exist...

From a old blurb I read about the "Quad" sets, they are being released in theme based waves. #10 is in the "Father's Day" wave of Western/War movies. As #11 & #12 are both all war films it seems the missing #10 was/is to be Westerns. It does seem odd that it's still missing with no word from Fox. I envision thousands of copies gathering dust in a warehouse somewhere due to a clerical error...

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by ahollis

I am not sure that praise is what is warranted here. A good job might be in order, but the problem is not the price point. My problem is that over the years I have supported Fox, Warner's, & Sony by purchasing all but the five new titles. At an average cost of $10.00 a flick that would be $100.00 I have already spent on titles that are in the collection. In my weird world the collection cost is $250.00 not $150.00 MSPR. I can afford it, but I am going to move on. None of the five titles are worth it.

Kazan is a great director and deserves the praise, not Fox for throwing us a few new bones with a bunch of old bones. For any collector and lover of film that does not have more that four or five of those titles, then this is a great deal, so go for it. The customers that have purchased these titles and many other titles from Fox, this is a slap in our face and my support for Fox is waning daily. If the rumors of Cavalcade being included in a box set only are true, then I am done with Fox and their great 75th Anniversary.

Quote:
I've probably spent even more on these Kazan titles because I also have the Australian bare bones release of Viva Zapata and the UK Optimum release of Wild River (which has excellent picture but quite noisy sound). I don't have America, America, Man on a Tightrope, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Pinky or of course the Scorsese documentary.

It is my hope that Fox have included some extras on Wild River and Viva Zapata, they are both superb films so deserve some extra features.

One thing to keep in mind though is that America, America will probably eventually go on Warner Archive (Fox probably has a deal with Warner to make it exclusive to this box for a certain time, but after that Warner will be able to do what they like with it) so it is possible that buying this box is the only way to get America, America on a pressed disc, until another company releases it on Blu-ray, but that could be in 10 years time.

Late last week Australian Dollars were briefly worth more than American Dollars, if that trend happens again I will buy this set.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by BethHarrison

I also have the Australian bare bones release of Viva Zapata and the UK Optimum release of Wild River (which has excellent picture but quite noisy sound).
What do you use to watch these other region DVDs? A region free DVD palyer?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by battlebeast
What do you use to watch these other region DVDs? A region free DVD palyer?

I bought a (sd) DVD player online that is "hard-modified" internally but you can "hack" most U.S. store-bought sd DVD players to enable the internal PAL/NTSC converter inside them.

I've heard that "Phillips" brands are among the easiest players to hack.

There's an online "hack code" site somewhere that lists a lot of the known hack codes. You enter a certain numbered sequence via the player's remote control and then your player will play other region dvd's.

Some brand's players can't be hacked via a remote code so that's one reason I bought a Pioneer R-free player that was internally-modified. I preferred that route to guarantee region-free playback.

There's been a few isolated reports that some hacked players won't play every DVD from another region. Also, the (sd) hard-mod player prices have dropped a lot over the past several years.

I've held off buying a BR player for the same reason (r-free) but recently the prices for those have been coming down as well and some have complete r-free capability for all 3 BR regions (region's A,B, & C).

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i went this route just recently. bought a pioneer all region upscaling dvd player. it was set-up to play all regions when i received it. hooked up to tv via hdmi. have bought about a dozen dvds from other regions-mostly region 2- and so far no troubles. a good investment.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

I've held off buying a BR player for the same reason (r-free) but recently the prices for those have been coming down as well and some have complete r-free capability for all 3 BR regions (region's A,B, & C).

My Blu-ray player is region free. Well, it is region changeable using a remote code for both the DVD and Blu-ray playback. It is this one here:

http://www.bhatt.id.au/blog/kogan-region-free-blu-ray-player-bd-2-0-full-hd-1080p-review/

It has since been replaced with this one:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-blu-ray-player-slim-bdlive-full-hd-1080p/

And this one with wifi:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-blu-ray-player-wifi-bdlive-full-hd-1080p/

The prices are Australian dollars, which are basically the same as U.S. dollars at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks