What's new

2014 MLB Regular Season & Post Season too! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tony such sad news. I'll bet they loved each other very much.

Be sure to report back on your Marlins' experience when you can find the time.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sorry to hear about your grandparents, Tony. Sounds like they had long and fulfilling lives.

And welcome to South Florida! :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Just got back to the hotel from the game in Miami. Love Marlins Park. Great looking stadium. Of the 10k that were there clearly more then half were Phillies fans. Did a little sightseeing before. Saw a couple of relatively famous movie hotels. One is sadly unrecognizable now.

Attachments

• 20140701_171838_Pine Tree Dr.jpg
    20140701_171838_Pine Tree Dr.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20140701_171741_Collins Ave.jpg
    20140701_171741_Collins Ave.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20140701_163128_Ocean Dr.jpg
    20140701_163128_Ocean Dr.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20140701_163044_Miami Beach.jpg
    20140701_163044_Miami Beach.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 29

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thanks Mike. As you know, I really wish there were no replay at all.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Somewhere last night the MLB brain trust was huddled around a table--with only the glow of the Replay monitors providing ambient lighting--plotting that we can never have another HR Derby or All-Star Game at an outdoor venue.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Mike Frezon said:
Somewhere last night the MLB brain trust was huddled around a table--with only the glow of the Replay monitors providing ambient lighting--plotting that we can never have another HR Derby or All-Star Game at an outdoor venue.
The top priority - which may have already been done - would be the plotting to make sure that the game itself can never end in a tie, again.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,I wouldn't have a problem with any All-Star game ending in a tie if the game didn't decide home-field advantage for the World Series. I wish that the team with the best record had home-field advantage in MLB (similar to how it is done in the NBA).

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
^ I've read enough of your posts to know that you are a *serious* fan. As such, I'm sure you are fully aware that the All-Star game is a glorified exhibition game.Perhaps counter-intuitively, I think the casual fan was offended by the tie; the casual fans probably felt that any/every game should produce a result.Who's right - who's wrong ... might be another debate; however, I have read articles (possibly an over-reaction shortly after the tie) that suggested the outcome was a stain on Selig's record/legacy. Remember how the fans were booing at the time? Some, maybe most, of those fans were directing their boos at Selig. Ironically, if I remember correctly, the game was in Milwaukee, where Selig was supposed to be loved, or at least more loved than in other MLB cities.I would be just as happy if they did away with the All-Star game completely. I prefer regular-season competition. This four-night stretch without any (real) games seems endless. I think this is only the second year that every MLB team also has Thursday off. Previously, a handful of teams played on Thursday, but I think those teams complained (loudly).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,

Agreed. I had not really thought of what the casual fan felt about the tie. That's a very good point. And the booing that night was not at all good for the game.

I was just thinking this morning how there is a relative lull in sports right now. Just a short time ago we had so much in full-swing (MLB, NBA and NHL playoffs, and the start of the World Cup). Now that the playoffs and World Cup are over, their absence (at least for me) does have a way of making this current four-day stretch seem quite long!

Side note: I wish there had been more home-run hitters in last night's Derby. It seems like many of those whom I would want there were absent. One of the pre-game commentators was suggesting that it ought to be mandatory for players to participate (assuming they are chosen). I think it was Mike Scioscia who strongly suggested that Trout not take part in the Derby.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have a lot of thoughts on last night's All-Star Game.

But the overriding one is: why, oh why did we have Idina Menzel sing Bob Dylan's Forever Young to a bunch of teachers in-between the opening lineups and national anthem?

Teachers?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Fox is just as bad or worse than ESPN with all the over the top nonsense. You would have thought Jeter solved world peace or cured ALS the way the game went last night. Would have been nice to show a little Gwynn Re2pect.Did they mention Tony Gwynn at all?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not that I saw.

But Rod Carew threw a strike of an opening pitch (with some heat on it as well!). Too bad it was relegated to a five second clip after the first NL out. :thumbsdown:

I'm sure the teacher thing was some deal struck with Target (the game played at Target field and I think the teachers had won a Target-sponsored contest or something).

But, c'mon people. How about if we saw the ceremonial first pitch LIVE...and relegated the teacher's to a five-second clip in-between at-bats?

Not only did Menzel murder Forever Young...but it went on forever! And they even showed faces of the teachers (who were still on the field) during the National Anthem (rather than the ballplayers!). Say whaaaaaaaat?

And don't get me going as to why Orioles players are wearing Tom Clancy's name on their jerseys. This stuff is getting absolutely ridiculous to the point of incredulity.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Mike Frezon said:
Not that I saw.

But Rod Carew threw a strike of an opening pitch (with some heat on it as well!). Too bad it was relegated to a five second clip after the first NL out. :thumbsdown:

I'm sure the teacher thing was some deal struck with Target (the game played at Target field and I think the teachers had won a Target-sponsored contest or something).

But, c'mon people. How about if we saw the ceremonial first pitch LIVE...and relegated the teacher's to a five-second clip in-between at-bats?

Not only did Menzel murder Forever Young...but it went on forever! And they even showed faces of the teachers (who were still on the field) during the National Anthem (rather than the ballplayers!). Say whaaaaaaaat?

And don't get me going as to why Orioles players are wearing Tom Clancy's name on their jerseys. This stuff is getting absolutely ridiculous to the point of incredulity.
After Menzel was murdered by Travolta, maybe it is only fitting that Menzel got to murder Forever Young.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tom Clancy was part owner of the Orioles and passed away, so the patches are their tribute to him. They shouldn't recognize the passing of an owner?

The NE Patriots wore a patch on their uniforms for a whole season to honor the passing of Myra Kraft, the owner's wife.

Joe Buck loved every second of the Idina "Adele Dazeem" Menzel performance. He gushed again about her national anthem. I think Joe has a crush. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks