What's new

2014 Emmy Nominations. (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I thought the biggest snubs (at least for the shows I watch) were Rectify and The Killing. Rectify particularly for the writing, and for The Killing how does Peter Sarsgaard not get recognized?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't really care about snubs anymore, mainly because there's too much good stuff on TV nowadays. Sometimes a nomination just means you got a good publicist team behind you at the moment. There are so many well-deserving actors/actresses working in TV nowadays, and only so many noms to go around, someone "deserving" is always going to get snubbed each year. C'est la vie.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Patrick Sun said:
I don't really care about snubs anymore, mainly because there's too much good stuff on TV nowadays. Sometimes a nomination just means you got a good publicist team behind you at the moment. There are so many well-deserving actors/actresses working in TV nowadays, and only so many noms to go around, someone "deserving" is always going to get snubbed each year. C'est la vie.
In the end, I really don't care either. Especially since my full exposure to the Emmys is the day the nominations come out, I might glance over the major categories. I wouldn't have even known they came out if not for seeing this thread on the forum. In fact, this will probably even be the last time I view this thread. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
It doesn't keep me up at night but in the case of some shows/performances (like some of the the folks involved in the aforementioned Rectify and The Killing), they could use the recognition and they deserve it. If Jon Hamm didn't get a nomination, it would be a pretty egregious snub but at least, people would still know that Mad Men exists.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
GoT got shut out.

Breaking Bad went out on a high note.

Sherlock got more love than anticipated.

Modern Family chugs along (though it's pretty much worn out its welcome with me by now)

"The Kiss".

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Glad to see Fukunaga win for directing what is easily one of the finest action sequences ever filmed, small screen or large.

I don't think BB deserved to win any of the acting awards, and especially not Cranston over Matthew McConaughey. Of course, the swan song is a known variable in award shows, so I wasn't surprised. True Detective puts out what was by many accounts a near-perfect season of television, but even that is not enough to silence the swan song.

I was happy to see Sherlock collect some much-deserved wins; Fargo was a pleasant surprise too--love the Calgary shout out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
God, due to what happened to True Detective, I'm glad I've moved on from watching award shows.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If I was a voter, I'd have given the nod to Matthew McConaughey but Bryan Cranston was so good that I can't complain that he won. And as much as I loved True Detective, Breaking Bad had what was arguably the best episode they ever made and they had a truly great ending to a truly great series so I'm glad it won.

The worst and yet totally expected part of all is that Jon Hamm got burned again. Hopefully, he'll get the "Well, it's his last chance" vote next year because he deserves a win.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
God, due to what happened to True Detective, I'm glad I've moved on from watching award shows.
This is a direct consequence of the decision to list the show as a drama series instead of a miniseries.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
This is a direct consequence of the decision to list the show as a drama series instead of a miniseries.
I'd glad that HBO put True Detective in the correct category and lost over pulling FX's move of entering their shows in an easier category so they have a better chance of winning.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After winning quite a few Emmys at last weekend's Creative Arts Emmys, I was certain Orange Is the New Black was going to win Best Comedy even if it isn't really a comedy series. I have no qualms about Modern Family winning again. The "Vegas" episode (which won for direction) was one of the funniest episodes in the entire history of the series, and I suspect that is the one that won the votes.

Jon Hamm may indeed win on his last chance next year, but that didn't work for Angela Lansbury after twelve consecutive nominations for Murder, She Wrote (and nineteen overall nominations in her career). She's never won.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Did anybody else catch the unintentional comedy of Kathy Bates (WHO SOMEHOW BEAT ALLISON TOLMAN) mentioning that "last season was great, and I'm sure next season will be even better" during her acceptance speech for an Emmy in a category for miniseries?

As for Modern Family's win...it's hardly a bad sitcom. I'm just sick of seeing it walk away with the same awards year after year while much better, funnier, and more deserving shows get zilch.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I'd glad that HBO put True Detective in the correct category and lost over pulling FX's move of entering their shows in an easier category so they have a better chance of winning.
I would argue that, as a story with a fixed beginning middle and end that will not continue into a second season, the miniseries was the correct category.Certainly more so than "Fargo", the second season of which definitely has story overlap with the first (despite being set in a different time period with a different cast).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Did anybody else catch the unintentional comedy of Kathy Bates (WHO SOMEHOW BEAT ALLISON TOLMAN) mentioning that "last season was great, and I'm sure next season will be even better" during her acceptance speech for an Emmy in a category for miniseries?

As for Modern Family's win...it's hardly a bad sitcom. I'm just sick of seeing it walk away with the same awards year after year while much better, funnier, and more deserving shows get zilch.
I picture MF sort of like what happened with the Harry Potter books years ago when they were evicted from the NY Times best-sellers list. "You're to popular, doesn't leave room for anybody else".
HP books were good, and I love MF, but wow, it seems like nobody else can break through. It's not that extreme, but apparently they've tied the record with "Frasier" for best comedy, only next year will tell if they beat it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
joshEH said:
Actually she said, "Last season was awesome; this season's going to be great." And as much as I loved Allison's performance, I think Kathy deserved it. It was a phenomenal job finding the heart and sometimes making you care about this essentially evil, racist serial killer.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
joshEH said:
Yeah, I remember feeling the same way with "Frasier" and "Will and Grace", always gobbling up nominations and awards, even if they were running on fumes during their final few seasons. I guess "Modern Family" will be that show until the end of its run.(And I did like Frasier and Modern Family, BTW).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Comedy is such a personal thing, but Modern Family never ceases to make me laugh and laugh out loud, a rare occurrence. I can't say that for the other nominees on a consistent basis (and I don't have Netflix so I've never seen Orange Is the New Black. Only know about it from what I've read.)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I love/hate Modern Family. I always find the jokes funny, but if I never watched another episode I wouldn't miss it. It's too formula, I don't care for the majority of the characters, no character development, too many ridiculous situations, stunt casting, extravagant vacations, etc*. We DVR everything and MF was always at the bottom of our Watch list. We binged most of the season in May to get rid of it.

As I told my kids when they won "It's 'good' but it's not THAT good."

*I just want to toss in how much I hate how every ABC show has to stick Disney references in all the time.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Paul D G said:
I love/hate Modern Family. I always find the jokes funny, but if I never watched another episode I wouldn't miss it. It's too formula, I don't care for the majority of the characters, no character development, too many ridiculous situations, stunt casting, extravagant vacations, etc*. We DVR everything and MF was always at the bottom of our Watch list. We binged most of the season in May to get rid of it.

As I told my kids when they won "It's 'good' but it's not THAT good."

*I just want to toss in how much I hate how every ABC show has to stick Disney references in all the time.
This sums up my feeling on MF as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks