What's new

2013 NFL Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Andy Reid had a nice HOMECOMING to Philly. Came out with a 26-16 win.

It seems that Thursday night games are a little more sloopy.
Ross Tucker said on NFL SIRIUS/XM that teams don't practice for Thursday nights games. They only do walk throughs.
They should go back to having only THANKSGIVING DAY games on Thursday.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Richard V said:
Wish the Vikings would sack Ponder, seems pretty obvious to be that he is a huge bust. Poor decision making, weak arm, no leadership qualities. Vikings need to admit they blew it, and move on. Draft another guy, or give their 3rd string QB a try, by all accounts he has a cannon for an arm. Doubt he could do much worse than Ponder's done so far.
I think you'll see Matt Cassell starting soon in Minnesota, Richard. I agree that Ponder is not the answer, and did not think so when the Vikings drafted him.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Andy Reid has finally done a better job haha! Too bad that his team shares the same division as Peyton Manning. But it was nice to see the fans give him a standing ovation, as he did have a very nice run here.I only watched the 1st half and a little of the 2nd half, and I don't understand the thinking of going for 2, early in the game. What were you thinking, Kelly? The special teams and offense were pathetic, and it was only a matter of time until the defense would come back to earth.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
ponset said:
It seems that Thursday night games are a little more sloopy.
Ross Tucker said on NFL SIRIUS/XM that teams don't practice for Thursday nights games. They only do walk throughs.
They should go back to having only THANKSGIVING DAY games on Thursday.
They should go back to not having "nationally televised" games on a pay channel that they own. That or give up the antitrust exemption that allows them to negotiate huge broadcast-rights contracts.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Walter C said:
Andy Reid has finally done a better job haha! Too bad that his team shares the same division as Peyton Manning. But it was nice to see the fans give him a standing ovation, as he did have a very nice run here.I only watched the 1st half and a little of the 2nd half, and I don't understand the thinking of going for 2, early in the game. What were you thinking, Kelly? The special teams and offense were pathetic, and it was only a matter of time until the defense would come back to earth.
I think Chip Kelly is just trying to show he's more clever than everyone else in going for 2, but I agree that it makes little sense at that point in the game. Personally, I do not see the Kelly experiment going well in Philly. Teams will adjust to his "system", and his complete lack of focus on the defense will doom the team. As I mentioned earlier, he reminds me of Rich Rodriguez's time here at Michigan, which was a disaster.

As for Reid, it was nice to see him get a hand. It was frustrating, though, to watch Alex Smith at QB. That guy never throws the ball down field. He's taken over the mantle from Joey "Checkdown" Harrington as the dump-off king of the league.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
When the Texans could not convert their early field position and time of possession advantages into TDs in the 1st quarter, I knew it was going to be a long day for them. Pretty disappointing effort against the Ravens with too many penalties. I'm trying not to read too much into one game but they were pretty awful on Sunday.

Nothing wrong with the Cowboys that playing the Rams 16 times in a season wouldn't cure. :)

I thought the Giants might be off to one of their normal slow starts, but this is looking like something else.

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Giants have been surprisingly bad so far. With Washington and Philly also looking shaky -- especially on defense -- Dallas just may win that division by default.

Indy looked impressive against the Niners, who are quickly digging themselves a hole in their division, as well as the NFC wildcard race. The Colts may very well unseat the Texans as division champ.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought the Giants game wold be one of the better ones. I only watch two games on Sunday and that was one of the two. I couldn't believe how bad the Giants were.

As for the chargers, I dvr'd the game and deleted it without watching it. They had an undrafted free agent that they signed the previous week playing db. What a sock that Tennessee went after him. 30 seconds to go and it was like the chargers had no idea they'd go for the end zone.

I would appear the coaching staff doesn't trust Rivers when the game is on the line.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The way Denver is scoring this season has an unreal quality to it. An average of 45 points per game is fantastic.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,

I'm still not convinced that this is that good of a Patriots team. We'll see how they look with a (hopefully) healthy Amendola and Gronk.

Before last night's game, I was leaning toward a Denver - Seattle Super Bowl. But the Saints looked similar to their Super Bowl team of a couple of years ago. They are a much better road team than the Seahawks, so now I'm not so sure. It will depend on whether or not the Seahawks can get a first-round bye (and home-field advantage) throughout the playoffs.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Right now the fate of the defense rests almost entirely on the health of Aqib Talib. Hopefully Belichick will finally comprehend how valuable a shutdown corner is in this league when it comes time to pay him!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,Agreed. In fact, I gave Talib the game ball after Sunday night's game.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
While watching the chargers defeat the Cowboys, the announcers revealed that only two quarterbacks in NFL history have thrown the 100th and 200th TD passes against the same team. Both QB's are chargers, John Hadl and Philip Rivers (Cowboys). Another insignificant milestone for the bolts.

Rivers was really on fire against the Cowboys. I don't even blame him for the pick 6 since his throwing arm was hit.

Hard to imagine the Texans becoming an elite team with Schaub as their QB. He's just barely good enough to start and put pressure on him and he sucks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wasn't convinced that the Pats were a true contender even before the season began. They lost so much on offense that it's going to be tough on them -- even with Brady. Their one big advantage to making the playoffs is the weak division they play in. Only Miami appears to be anything but horrible as competition. And I agree with Johnny regarding Houston... but you guys already know that. I think Denver's biggest competition in the conference will come from KC and Indy -- but I also think both teams are a little too green to derail the Broncos this season.

In the NFC, I agree with Scott that the Saints are not to be taken lightly. They have their coach back, and are playing like the old Saints. The big question will be whether their defense is good enough come playoff time.

The NFC East is worse than I ever remember that division being. None of those four teams are true playoff caliber squads, but one of them will get there. Could an 8-8 record win that horrible division?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Everybody is raving about the Broncos (by everybody I mean the media) and they are spectacular. I can't help but remember that for all Peyton's hall-of-fame numbers, his results drop drastically in the playoffs. I think he's had more than one instance of one-and-out. The chargers have beaten him in the playoffs at least twice, that alone should disqualify him from the HoF. :)

I'll make a prediction that the Broncos won't be in the SB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks