2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Walter C said:
Congrats to the Boston Red Sox for winning the 2013 World Series. And one of the more entertaining series to watch.I have to stop with this bad habit of flipping through channels, because I end up missing some key moments. Like when I missed Victorino's bases-clearing triple, all because I was watching an episode of "Arrow". While I don't care much for Tim McCarver, I thought Fox did a little nice tribute for him.
DVR

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
I'm not sure if anyone here listens to Colin Cowherd but he was somewhat critical or at least suspicious of David O. and his recent powers. Cowherd and his opinion on him has been known tenge past couple years but then he went into say St. Louis was doing a silent protest against him last night with the walks. He was trying to make some weird points.
Well the reality in the game today is when you are a known cheat, remember he did fail a drug test; people are always going to be suspicious when you put up good numbers. It’s not fair but it is the way things are in the game.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I used to be a big fan of Cowherd, but he doesn't seem as thoughtful as he used to be. Still like him well enough, though.
Patrick_S said:
Well the reality in the game today is when you are a known cheat, remember he did fail a drug test; people are always going to be suspicious when you put up good numbers. It’s not fair but it is the way things are in the game.
Suspected cheat is not the same as known cheat. It's still not clear what caused the positive test result 10 years ago, and I strongly suspect that if he were juicing, some concrete information would have come out by now.

That said, suspicion is not unreasonable in this case. All of baseball will continue to operate under the PED cloud for a long, long time.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
Considering that St. Louis is a much smaller market and we still manage to get 3 million attendance consistently, I think that's pretty good. And no one waits until things get interesting late in the season. They are there in the stands from opening day on. And I see a lot of Cardinal jerseys in the stands on the out of town broadcasts.

And in my experience, Cardinal fans are pretty respectful of other teams and their fans and they are really knowledgeable about the game. Appreciating good plays and good players, no matter what the team.
TonyD said:
I agree that the Sox fans are right up there but to say the Cards fans are one of the best two, mm not sure I would go with that.I would say they are more like sheep or better, Stepford fans.When I see a teams fans show up all over the country at road games and practically take over a stadium, then that is impressive.Just sitting in a stadium at home and blindly going along with whatever the team does doesn't show me anything.What is a definition of a good fan base anyway. Subjective.I guess if it was simply showing up and cheering your team on than sure they are good fans and I would have to say compared to Braves fans and others who dont even fill a stadium during a run for the playoffs and then in the actual playoffs, maybe that's a good criteria.Maybe I just like to see the fans not only cheer them on but also not have a problem letting them know when they think the team is screwing up.What do I know.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Aaron Silverman said:
I used to be a big fan of Cowherd, but he doesn't seem as thoughtful as he used to be. Still like him well enough, though.

Suspected cheat is not the same as known cheat. It's still not clear what caused the positive test result 10 years ago, and I strongly suspect that if he were juicing, some concrete information would have come out by now.

That said, suspicion is not unreasonable in this case. All of baseball will continue to operate under the PED cloud for a long, long time.
He failed a ped test. Doesnt this make him a known cheater. Taking PEDs caused the failed test.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
EarleD said:
He failed a ped test. Doesnt this make him a known cheater. Taking PEDs caused the failed test.
This is part of my own confusion on this particular subject.

MLB has never released anything (I don't think) saying Ortiz ever failed a PED test. Just the 2009 NY Times report included his name among a number of players who failed a PED test back in 2003 before it was a punishable offense and they were instituting the testing process.

But this is where I am fuzzy.

The only thing I'm certain about is how his season-to-season numbers are really pretty consistent. There don't seem to be many major peaks or valleys which seem to be common in the careers of those players who are known to have failed drug tests.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Baseball never officially released the list but the Times was able to get a copy. Someone in baseball probably leaked it for some reason.Ortiz is on the list of players that failed a PED test back in 2003. Of course Boston fans will defend him till their last breath, Big Papi will always be innocent to them while others on the list are of course cheats. That is how fandom works.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yes, Ortiz failed a test 10 years ago. It's possible that he was cheating, and it's possible that it was a false positive. There's no way of knowing for sure (at least for the public), although if he is guilty then he wouldn't be the first cheat to claim that his test was a false positive.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That is REALLY wild!

Excellent find, Scott!

Look at those Cincy uniforms! And look how big that bat looks in Tommy Harper's hands!

All the bats look big. And, strangely, none of them seem to break. Hmmmmmmm.

Pete Rose, Vada Pinson, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Frank Robinson...

Pete Rose leads off the 9th at 21:15. Look how far he stands off the plate! And he tried to bunt for a base hit. How young he was! He really busted it down the line (as always).

Maloney had 150 pitches after eight innings! Mid-60s baseball was just awesome!

Thanks, Scott!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.