What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Patrick_S said:
Seriously I can understand Yankee fans since the Yankees are unquestionably the most successful sport franchise ever. The Sox on the other hand are nowhere close yet their fans often act like they have a long history of winning.
The Red Sox *do* have a long history of winning. . .just not the World Series!
There have been a lot of off season activity; I think I’ll start the Hot Stove thread today.
Remember the deal between the Red Sox and the Dodgers?

No, this one!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ZZ Top has scrambled aboard the Red Sox bandwagon.

363-am415.AuSt.55.jpeg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So much for my prediction of a Sox sweep!

A couple of horrible miscues add up to a Red Sox loss and off we go to St. Louis (AKA "towel country!") tied up at one win apiece.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow!

That was really something.

Not sure why Saltalamacchia felt the need to throw that ball just having gotten the 2nd out of the inning at home...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I missed the first couple minutes of the broadcast...so I just went back to watch it.

Rascal Flatts sang the National Anthem. They did a VERY nice job. You can tell how much they respected the song and their opportunity to perform it.

================

What an exciting series this is turning out to be!

The obstruction call to end Game #3. And tonight's Game #4 becomes the first WS game to end on a pick-off play! Wow!

The series is now tied 2-2...turning the remainder of the WS into a best of three series.

As a Red Sox fan, I feel good about having two of those three games at Fenway Park (hoping, of course, that they win Game #5 tomorrow night in St. Louis and head to Boston up 3-2. :biggrin:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This may not be the most exciting World Series I've ever seen, but it's probably the most historic thus far. The way the game ended (for me) made up for how game three ended in an odd sort of way. We've had a walkoff 'trip-off' and a walkoff pickoff. And Jonny Gomes -- wow. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,I don't mind it in baseball as much as I have (or did -- yeah!) during the NBA Finals for the past twenty-seven or so years. That's because I've known no other way in baseball. I don't ever recall it being used in the NHL Finals, or in the Super Bowl. ;) I just read where the format was actually 3-4 (!) for the World Series during 1943 and 1945.

Interesting link. I would have no problem with it being changed to 2-2-1-1-1 for MLB. This is, of course, assuming that Commissioner Frezon agrees with the change. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is an issue I haven't given a lot of thought.

At face value, a 2-3-2 series can be completed in nine days (without weather issues). A 2-2-1-1-1 series would take eleven days to complete (without weather issues). Maybe if we can shorten up the regular season...

The 2013 series is playing out all right. Tied at two, the homefield-advantage Sox now play game five in St. Louis before heading back to Fenway. I think I like that better than heading to Fenway for Game 5, St. Louis for Game 6, and then back to Boston for a potential Game 7.

I'm not sure I understand the article's approach (linked-to by Aaron) to the DH. To totally eliminate it from the World Series--while allowing it to continue during the regular season in the AL--would be catastrophic to the AL representative in the series. I am still agog that the Sox--in the ninth inning of a tied World Series game--had a batter take his first-ever swings in the majors.
speechless-smiley-020.gif

I LOVE the article's suggestion to start WS games earlier in the day! I've been calling for that for years--especially since my seven year old couldn't stay awake for that historic game 7 in the 1997 World Series between the Marlins & Indians. I had to score the second half of the game and do a morning re-cap for him. A great moment in father-son bonding...but horrible in that he didn't get to witness it himself.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That would mean potentially a LOT of extra travel for the players, especially if it's an east/west coast series. At some point, it seems like the jet lag negates the home field advantage.

I think these best of seven series are ridiculous anyway. Best of 3 is sufficient, though personally I'd be fine with just a single game. There's no reason it should take more than a week to determine a sports champion.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Mike Frezon said:
I LOVE the article's suggestion to start WS games earlier in the day! I've been calling for that for years--especially since my seven year old couldn't stay awake for that historic game 7 in the 1997 World Series between the Marlins & Indians. I had to score the second half of the game and do a morning re-cap for him. A great moment in father-son bonding...but horrible in that he didn't get to witness it himself.
I was thinking that, when I actually stayed up to watch Game 3, which ended around 12:30am. Luckily, it was during the weekend. I mean, talk about messing with people's sleeping patterns. But then, making the fans happy, will mean making the networks unhappy.

Only 3 more possible games with McCarver (who I just learned, will be retiring after this season). His legacy will definitely be a polarizing one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I remember as a teen sitting outside with my friends listening to the 1980 World Series during the day, it was great.Btw Buck, in the first inning said that he can rib McCarver now since it's his last year.So I guess that confirms it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Red Sox have a chance to clinch the World Series at Fenway Park for the first time since 1918! What a great game by Lester. How many teams can take two-out-of-three in St. Louis? :)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
As a Cardinals fan.....well.....there isn't much hope! My hats off to Boston if they pull it off. On the other hand, 2011 proved ANYTHING can happen. Will lightning strike twice? Likely not but there are 28 other teams who'd love to be where the Cards and Sox are!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another exciting game tonight...for sure.

This really has been one exciting series! Close games, crazy plays.

And David Ortiz? I can't ever remember seeing a player hit better than .750 in a World Series. I've never seen anyone SO locked in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.