What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
They might as well scrap instant replay since umpires either can't make, or are unwilling to make unpopular reversals when they have clear evidence to reverse a call.That was clearly fan interference in today's Tigers game. The fan touched the ball in the field of play interfering with a play.
I just went and looked at the TV coverage on MLB.com.

Looked like interference to me.

But this is one of the things I have said about replay. Like umpires, replay isn't perfect either. While I don't doubt that replay will likely account for more accurate calls...there are going to be times when it is inconclusive and even times when it will be responsible for wrong calls being made. And it will delay the game...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Whoa, whoa, whoa. If you're going to give an account of the game like that, I hope you have the express written consent of the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball!

Or, does that not count if you're in talks for the job?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

vote-for-me.gif

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Hey Mike,

If you were to eliminate interleague play, how would you re-arrange the divisions? :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,If you're going to ask 'Mike' a question, could you please show a little more respect?

For example:Dear Commissioner Frezon:

etc. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Scott. But I am more than happy to discuss my thoughts with the fans! :laugh:
Walter C said:
Hey Mike,

If you were to eliminate interleague play, how would you re-arrange the divisions? :)
Hmmm. My kneejerk reaction would be to contract one team from each league (I usually reference the Florida teams due to lack of fan support...but we also still have a team in Canada! :biggrin: ). Then I would go back to two seven team divisions in each league.

That would solve Interleague. Although you could also leave things as they are and give each team a few days off every so often. Maybe go back to a 154 game season?

I suppose there's no going back on all the new post-season play (wild cards)...but I would prefer just a Championship Series and then the World Series. I would definitely eliminate this ridiculous 2nd wild card spot and the one-game play-in round.

Your thoughts, Walter? There's a lot of ways to eliminate Interleague play.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,This will be the first time the Red Sox and Tigers have ever faced each other in the playoffs. You'll enjoy some of this baseball history, I think. :)

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/32123/tigers-oust-as-advance-to-alcs-vs-sox

Incidentally, I remember this game all too well:

"In 1972, the Red Sox went into Detroit for the last series of the season leading the Tigers by a half-game, but Luis Aparacio fell rounding third on Carl Yastrzemski's triple, a critical stumble in a 4-1 loss, and the Tigers beat Luis Tiant 3-1 the next day to eliminate Boston."

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Hey Mike,
Well, eliminating interleague play is one thing. But making the adjustments after that, is another. I like the idea of 2 sets of 7-team divisions in each league, as it does go back to the old days, the way I remembered it. More games against teams outside the division, but within the league. The downside to that, though, is the possibility of reduction of divisional games, which won't satisfy the networks. Unless they somehow work out an unbalanced schedule. I would not only like to see the contraction of 2 teams, but also switch Houston and Milwaukee back to their original leagues. Only question, is which 2 teams to eliminate?
And I definitely agree about the 2nd wild card, which is a joke. The idea of 1-and-done in the actual postseason, just doesn't fly in baseball. Hell, there are no scheduled 1-game series in the regular season, so why have one in the postseason. Though, on the other hand, I don't have a problem with the 1-playoff tie-breaking game (considered game 163), as things will actually be settled on the field rather than a system of confusing tiebreakers.

But the 1st wild card... that, I would like to stay. It does add more meaning to the regular season, but at the same time, it does not take too much away from winning the division. Besides, if no wild card at all, then there would be no championship for the Red Sox in 2004. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
I would not only like to see the contraction of 2 teams, but also switch Houston and Milwaukee back to their original leagues.
That would definitely happen under the Frezon administration. :biggrin:

As to which two teams to contract, Florida has spring training which residents love to support. But they never seem to rally behind their home state teams to any great extent. The Rays have been playing great baseball for the last several years and rarely draw 20k fans to their ballpark.

I just went looking for Tampa's actual figures (18,645 average) and found this interesting report on ESPN.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would also prohibit all fan towels in MLB parks (and Thundersticks).

I was totally dismayed to be reminded that towels make post-season appearances in St. Louis. I also saw towels in Pittsburgh...and--gasp--even in Chavez Ravine! I thought Dodger fans knew better.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Mike Frezon said:
As to which two teams to contract, Florida has spring training which residents love to support. But they never seem to rally behind their home state teams to any great extent. The Rays have been playing great baseball for the last several years and rarely draw 20k fans to their ballpark.

I just went looking for Tampa's actual figures (18,645 average) and found this interesting report on ESPN.
And I doubt a new stadium will solve the Rays' attendance problems. And after what happened with the Marlins, I don't see them getting one, unless the team pays for it completely.And very embarrassing that they could not sell out any of the playoff games. Next thing you know, Selig will have the team playing some games in Puerto Rico, like he did with the Expos in their final 2 seasons.
Mike Frezon said:
I would also prohibit all fan towels in MLB parks (and Thundersticks).

I was totally dismayed to be reminded that towels make post-season appearances in St. Louis. I also saw towels in Pittsburgh...and--gasp--even in Chavez Ravine! I thought Dodger fans knew better.
Oh come on, they are not that bad! At least, not as bad as the green uniforms. Those things are vomit-inducing!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Guys,

Just a slight aside, if I may. My father (a Red Sox fan who now lives in Florida) went to game four of the Red Sox - Rays series. He mentioned that the Rays fans at the game that he spoke to want a new stadium, and that they would love for it to be in Tampa. He also mentioned that the traffic after the game was very heavy and that he hadn't ever experienced traffic like that for a sporting event before (and he's from the Boston area originally).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
First Brady and then Big Papi. What an amazing day for the Patriots and Red Sox. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was not excited by the prospect of the Red Sox going to Detroit down 0-2.

That was one very exciting Game #2 tonight between the Tigers and Sox.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I got too tired to watch the rest of the game, and thought it was over after the Tigers took a 5-0 lead, and what appeared to be the Red Sox being nearly no-hit for the 2nd straight game. I was really shocked to learn the next morning, that the series is now tied 1-1.
Ockeghem said:
Guys,

Just a slight aside, if I may. My father (a Red Sox fan who now lives in Florida) went to game four of the Red Sox - Rays series. He mentioned that the Rays fans at the game that he spoke to want a new stadium, and that they would love for it to be in Tampa. He also mentioned that the traffic after the game was very heavy and that he hadn't ever experienced traffic like that for a sporting event before (and he's from the Boston area originally).
Unfortunately, that lease at the Trop has too much of a stranglehold on the team. And I can assume there is no public transportation to the stadium, which prevents a lot of fans from attending the games. Not to mention, in a far away location. I know I had these issues when it came to going to Marlins games, when they played in Dolphin Stadium.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Having had about 12 hours to let that game wash over me, that was one of the most improbable, exciting single-game comeback finishes I think I can remember.

I still cannot believe Ortiz hits that grand slam on the first pitch. You wouldn't accept it if it was in a Hollywood script.

What a laser that thing was. A line drive, practically. You knew when it came off the bat that it could be gone...but it was so...straight. I wouldn't have been surprised in Hunter caught it (which he almost did). His tumble over the bullpen wall just adds to the drama/mystique of the play.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Although some of Frezon's ideas are insane, I totally agree about the second wild card. One-game playoffs have no place in baseball (except as game 163 when needed).

And do what you want with the Rays, but leave my Marlins alone! When they get good again, they'll draw. All they need is a decent owner. Easier said than done. . . :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.