What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,One thing that could work in Boston's favor is that their next nine games are at Fenway, and (I think) eighteen of their remaining thirty are at home. Of course, they're not exactly a shabby road team this year, either.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron Silverman said:
Is it time for Napoli to join Middlebrooks in the Slumpin' No More Club?
Yep. The three RBIs he (Napoli) had Sunday were good to see. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's what I'd like to see the Sox do the rest of the regular season.

They've got ten series left (30 games--including the one they won tonight versus the O's). If they could win two games in each series...that would give them 97 wins on the year. That should win the division! :biggrin:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
It was good to see Napoli hit another long ball. And I really like Victorino on this team. I think his defense is what I love about him the most. I think it compliments Ellsbury nicely as they both cover a lot of territory in center and right. When Boston acquired Napoli and Victorino, I had a very good feeling about them being on this team. I hope they do really well in the post-season.

Victorino had a so-so game last night too, which doesn't hurt the cause. ;)

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=330827102

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:

They've got ten series left (30 games--including the one they won tonight versus the O's). If they could win two games in each series...that would give them 97 wins on the year. That should win the division! :biggrin:
What I'd like for them to do is to go 3.14 the rest of the way. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And in an entirely different kind of atmosphere...the girl from the Japanese horror film Ringu threw out the first pitch at a game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWJ2XP7Rlh8

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm a few weeks late, but there was a game for the ages played 50 years ago this summer.

Braves/Giants July 2, 1963

16 innings.

Final score: 1-0

Two complete games by Marichal & Spahn. Nearly 500 pitches thrown by those two.

Aaron, Matthews, Mays, McCovey, Alou, Cepeda.

Marichal had only one walk (an IBB to Mays, who won the game with a HR in the 16th).

4:10! (The Yankees and Red Sox can barely play nine innings in 4:10 today.)

Click on the link to the box score above and revel in the numbers. The play-by-play rundown is especially enlightening. Those two pitchers were on fire that day.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:

Since I wrote this, the Red Sox have played three of those series: Orioles, White Sox and Tigers.

They took two out of three from the O's. Three out of three from the White Sox. And, two out of three from the extremely tough Tigers (after losing the opening game!).

So far, so good. :biggrin:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,What was most impressive to me during the recent three-game series with the Tigers was the game-two performance of Lester. Even some of the Detroit players were commenting on how different he was this time as opposed to when they faced him earlier this year in Detroit. And beating Scherzer isn't all that easy, obviously. Thank you Will Middlebrooks. That was one timely two-out hit. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron Silverman said:
Speaking of timely two-out hits. . . :)
Not to mention timely two-out (with two strikes) hits, and against the second best closer in MLB history.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Ockeghem said:
Not to mention timely two-out (with two strikes) hits, and against the second best closer in MLB history.
I was under the impression that he is THE BEST not 2nd best closer. I hope he retires as planned and not pressured to do one more year.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who can be pressured to do anything.

But I sure wouldn't be altogether surprised if he changes his mind on his own and pitches another season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
After the Red Sox defeated the Yankees, I was glued to the Diamondbacks - Giants game. Amazing that we have another game in the same year where a pitcher (Petit) was one out away from a perfect game.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A brief update on the "Frezon Master Plan:"
Mike Frezon said:

Baltimore: Won 2 of 3
ChiSox: Won 3 of 3
Detroit: Won 2 of 3
New York: Won 3 of 4

13 games down, 17 to go.

If they can keep up my "two wins per series" "master plan," they could now finish the season with 99 wins! :biggrin:

They are definitely finishing the season strong. It is good to get hot at the right time.

The loss of Ellsbury is a big loss--no doubt. I read that he is likely due back before the end of the regular season...but I'm not buying into that. I would think he's done for the year. Regardless of his injuries, I hope the Sox can somehow figure out a way to re-sign him to something like a five year contract.

The loss of Ellsbury may be tempered with the return of Buchholz to the rotation tomorrow. We shall see. While 9-0 (with a 1.71 ERA) in twelve games to start the season, he hasn't pitched since June 8th.

==============================

The National League races look pretty much settled...but it sure is going to be interesting to see how the AL Wild Card race shakes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.