What's new

2012 Ultra Thin iMac refresh buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/andy-ihnatko-macbook-air-price/#.U2RMFF64n8u
I find myself pondering an unexpected question, however: What does an $899 11-inch Air say about the future of the 9.7-inch iPad Air? The top-of-the-rage iPads — the ones that people buy if they intend to use them like “real” computers — are now either the same price as the cheapest MacBook Air or just below it, particularly if you factor in the cost of an add-on keyboard.
The advent of the iPad plus not having a work laptop means I no longer have or want a personal laptop. But...I will have to re-examine that when it's time to replace my iPad 3. Could a laptop that's just as small with same or better battery life be the better of an iPad for home and travel? Hrmmm... I don't think so for me, but it will be worth considering next year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While I still need some desktop use at home, the iPad means I don't need a personal laptop. Don't do 'heavy lifting' on the road. Or on the couch in front of the TV. :)

I think it's getting to be a tossup for many people, and comes down to budget. One modern laptop is cheaper and better compromose than a desktop and tablet.

I saw that stand via some other blog. Pretty clever.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
End of an era...

SitStand
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Sit/Stand edit desk assembled and ready for transition from my 2012 iMac to the Retina 5K 2017 iMac later in the week, just in time for OCAir show! This guy has edited close to 50k images, 2 shorts, plus our winning Christmas video and is ready to rock it out for another photo/video nut for at least 5 more years
1f642.png
:) If it wasn't for HDR UHD I'd have kept it going myself that long!

Gonna have to move my Craig Mahoney original Fett painting so it's not blocked by the lamp tho...

Really digging the Mackie Studio monitors too. They hit hard AND have smoooooth vocals.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
End of an era...

SitStand
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Sit/Stand edit desk assembled and ready for transition from my 2012 iMac to the Retina 5K 2017 iMac later in the week, just in time for OCAir show! This guy has edited close to 50k images, 2 shorts, plus our winning Christmas video and is ready to rock it out for another photo/video nut for at least 5 more years
1f642.png
:) If it wasn't for HDR UHD I'd have kept it going myself that long!

Gonna have to move my Craig Mahoney original Fett painting so it's not blocked by the lamp tho...

Really digging the Mackie Studio monitors too. They hit hard AND have smoooooth vocals.
That huge think is an original? Holy big bucks, Batman!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not sure I'll post a photo of my 2009 iMac on my desk. My desk is my Dorian Gray: it captures all the chaos and entropy I work hard to keep hidden from all other aspects of my life :D

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Going up for sale on Craigslist today. The 2017 swapover is flawless. Asking $1k seem reasonable? Won't ship but if any HTFers want local pickup in MD I will cut you a deal!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good luck! I've got my 2009 iMac boxed, but haven't mustered the motivation to try and eBay it. But mine's worth maybe $300.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't sell on CraigsList anymore. Had success in Rochester. But can't deal with it in current job, and not inviting strangers to my house.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My CL sellong expeirnce a decade ago was early bird bidders offering half my price and trying to get a panic sale.

I bought Bose headphones off CL five years ago. Went well, met at Starbucks, I paid cash.

Not sure how to sell my iMac besides eBay. Shipping is a bit of a hassle.

Be curious how it goes for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks