What's new

2012 - 2013 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
just curious if anyone knows hoe this aspect of baseball works: if a team (like the Yankees) make multiple qualifying offers, and they all get rejected, do they then get multiple sandwich picks in the draft? it sounds logical but i wanted to make sure.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This is okay, but hopefully the BoSox will eventually begin to look seriously at their pitching....
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8705085/mike-napoli-boston-red-sox-agree-three-year-deal-source-says

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think what they're trying to do, Scott, is have a bullpen full of catchers rather than pitchers.

Napoli makes the 4th catcher on their roster. They had two (Saltalamacchia & Lavarnway) and have now signed two more (D. Ross & Napoli).

The Yanks meanwhile have let Russell Martin get away and are looking at either Chris Stewart or Fransisco Cervelli as their main backstop. I hope Cervelli gets the job. He always seems to do really well for them but hasn't really gotten a chance (until now, maybe).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Mike, what have you done?

I hold you personally responsible since you are the resident representative of Red Sox Nation. Think of the children next time!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Things are tough when you're a kid. I'm still scarred from when Johnny Unitas left the Colts to play his final year with the Chargers.

I think it's a really different mind-set for young fans these days since the players move around so much. They just don't have those "home town heroes" to root for like we did back in the day. If you have a favorite team and then develop a favorite player...you are likely to be disappointed when that player moves on. Sometimes kids start with a favorite player and then settle in on a team...only to have their player leave and then be torn between the fave player/team.

My son (the Yankee fan)...who was six when the Yanks started on their current success streak has been extremely fortunate (like lots of other Yankee fans) that his big idol, Derek Jeter, has stuck around.

This week's media hubbub surrounding Jeter's weight was an interesting thing to watch:

And then, of course, was the news about "old man" Rodriguez and his need for another hip surgery.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sometimes you get a group of guys who stick around for a long time, and then they all seem to leave at once and you struggle to make it feel like the same team you've been rooting for.
I wonder if Jeter really has a weight problem or if that's just tabloid hype. I think I've been seeing that Bill Clinton is dying for years while in line at the grocery store. I was in line--not Bill. Badly structured sentence aside. . . .

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Harold Reynolds tweeted this picture yesterday of himself with Jeter. Jeter looks fine (except for the walking boot).

But I loved the "Derek Eater" headline...

Although maybe a hot chick was taking the picture...so Jeter was "sucking it in!"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Angels have signed Hamilton to five years and some are saying they are about to trade for the Dickey too.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Red Sox announced their signing of Victorino recently. I am still awaiting word on Napoli (whom I thought was already signed), and a deal for Ryan Dempster looks to be getting close to being completed.
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8743824/shane-victorino-officially-introduced-boston-red-sox
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8744243/ryan-dempster-boston-red-sox-close-deal-source

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/324791/2012-2013-mlb-hot-stove#post_4013413
Angels have signed Hamilton to five years and some are saying they are about to trade for the Dickey too.

It'll be interesting to see how well Hamilton can do in LA.

I like the Victorino signing for the Sox. Dempsey might work out to be a good thing (if they can close it out). Then again, it might not. Not sure why they were so desirous of Napoli.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm not sure why they gave Victorino so much for those three years.
He's just not that good.
Strikes out and pops up way too much for the type of player he is.
Plus he might be one of the dumbest players I've ever seen especially on the bases.
Wait till you hear an interview, he barely can squeeze a word in other then "you know"

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I hope the Napoli deal falls through so we can save *some* face in Texas. What a disastrous offseason this has been. Josh going to our mortal enemy. You can bet the boo birds will fly in the Ballpark when he shows up.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I can't believe that Hamilton signed with a division rival. And that's 2 huge contracts that the Angels have. That could be trouble for them down the road. But obviously, it's about winning now.

Hard to believe that I did find the Phils offseason to be the most interesting thing, sports-wise in this town. Which isn't saying much.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They should have talked to the Yanks about what it's like at the tail end when you're carrying these expensive dudes.
Yuk it up, but local fans are alternately suicidal/homicidal right now. Lots of talk about #32 oil rags. Dude should have made it known long ago he wasn't interested so the team could have moved on and focused 100% on other players.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
It is strange sometimes, hearing announcers mainly known for baseball, doing other sports. Last night, I was surprised to hear Tom McCarthy, who is main annoucer for the Phillies, calling one of the Wild Card games last night. Thought he was okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks