Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Andrew,

Thank you for maintaining this thread.

From what I have read, ther jury seems to

be still out with passive technology citing

that you lose HD quality compared to shutter.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
From HDguru.com:

LG and Vizio have already announced new LED-LCD “passive” models and we expect other TV makers to offer these new 3D sets as entry-level models.

Vizio and LG fail to mention in their press releases for these products that the technology, called “Passive Pattern Retarder”, halves the vertical resolution of all 3D content!

Blu-ray movies contract from Full HD 1920 x1080 to 1920×540. It gets worse. Cable and DirecTV currently broadcast 3D sports, events and movies in the side-by-side format, typically at a resolution (per eye) of 960 x 1080. Viewed on the new Passive Patterned Retarder sets, the resolution of the side-by-side format drops to 960×540, just one-quarter of Full HD.

All HD full resolution 3D TVs to date use active shutter glasses that synchronize the left and right eye with each respective image, which is displayed on the HDTV with all 1080 lines sequentially (left, right left right etc.).

A Passive Pattern Retarder (PPR) film coating on the surface of these new 3D TVs, allows the left lens to view only the odd numbered lines (1,3, 5 etc.) for the left eye image, while the right eye lens simultaneously passes only the even numbered image lines (2, 4, 6 etc.). Thus each eye only sees half the vertical resolution at 540 lines per eye.

This technology has been available for some time on LG sets sold overseas and on a JVC and Hyundai professional monitors. In demonstrations we’ve seen, the lower resolution is noticeable, with the wider spaced, fewer lines of resolution visible and reminiscent of the old 525 line analog NTSC standard definition. This is “progress?”

They also claim the sets are flicker free, a claim with which we do not disagree since the glasses contain no shutters. However, a number of 2010 Full HD active shutter 3D TVs we’ve tested also had flicker free images.

One more note about PPR 3DTVs, they suffer from a reduced vertical 3D viewing angle when compared to active shutter designs. Depending the distance and angle of view, you could lose the 3D effect if you’re viewing from too high or low of an angle, as when you stand up or sit down.

http://hdguru.com/new-2011-tvs-cut-3d-resolution-in-half/3580/#more-3580

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have to agree with Adam's quote above from hdguru.com. Many of the passive displays had very noticeable scan lines, which made me agree, once again, that Panasonic Plasma is still the way to go when considering a 3D HDTV display.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One of the niftiest little gizmos I found at CES was the USB Flipper by UltraTek. You attach the little 2-sided USB plug onto your USB device, and never have to worry about whether the USB plug is up or down. Suggested retail was $4.95.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I also found the 21:9 displays by Vizio and a few others (LG?) a curiosity item. Although I wonder how many who wind up purchasing these displays will be stretching all of their 4:3 and 16:9 content. I shudder at the thought....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks