What's new

2011 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why would anyone be surprised by the performance of the film (especially Marvel)? It's the last film in the series. It would have been more surprising if it had bombed or underperformed. Overperforming on the opening weekend isn't surprising at all. The question is: will it result in a lot of repeat viewings or is the big opening going to be followed by a big dropoff?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
The question is: will it result in a lot of repeat viewings or is the big opening going to be followed by a big dropoff?
Based off of what I've read from fans (which could mean nothing), I think Harry Potter is going to do pretty well in terms of repeat business. If I was Marvel, I'd be more worried about 'super hero fatigue' than I was about Harry Potter.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wow, I didn't see a TDKR trailer before Potter.. I remember Hugo, some lame santa-elf-wrapping one, Happy Feet 2.. but I don't remember TDKR in there

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
TDKR, "Hugo", "Happy Feet 2", 'Breaking Dawn', and 'Tintin' were the trailers I saw before Potter.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
My kid had it: we had the trailer for John Carter, HF2, Hugo, Glee the 3D Musical (which has the most "Truth in Advertising ending.. ever), and the 3 Musketeers in 3D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Based off of what I've read from fans (which could mean nothing), I think Harry Potter is going to do pretty well in terms of repeat business. If I was Marvel, I'd be more worried about 'super hero fatigue' than I was about Harry Potter.
:laugh: Really. Although, I think Captain America will do okay because it is set in WW2 and involves beating up Nazis. Nobody seems to get tired of watching Nazis getting their asses kicked. Also, there are a lot of Marvelheads that will go to see "Cap". I think it will have a good initial kick and then drop off quick if Marvelheads think that that the character hasn't been handled well. I not a Marvel fan by any stretch. In fact, I really didn't care for superhero comics, but I'm thinking of seeing CA myself. I thought "THOR" wasn't too badly done. In fact, I think it was one of the better Marvel Superhero movies that I have seen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Edwin-S Really. Although, I think Captain America will do okay because it is set in WW2 and involves beating up Nazis. Nobody seems to get tired of watching Nazis getting their asses kicked. Also, there are a lot of Marvelheads that will go to see "Cap". I think it will have a good initial kick and then drop off quick if Marvelheads think that that the character hasn't been handled well. I not a Marvel fan by any stretch. In fact, I really didn't care for superhero comics, but I'm thinking of seeing CA myself. I thought "THOR" wasn't too badly done. In fact, I think it was one of the better Marvel Superhero movies that I have seen.

Furthermore, there will be a lot of the more mature adults interested in seeing a comic book figure from their youth brought to the big screen that's not named Superman or Batman.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
:laugh: Really. Although, I think Captain America will do okay because it is set in WW2 and involves beating up Nazis. Nobody seems to get tired of watching Nazis getting their asses kicked.
I know I'm excited to see it simply because of that. :laugh: When I say super hero fatigue though, I mean that I think having Thor, X-Men, Green Lantern and Captain America all in the space of two and a half months risks comic book overload for the general public. I'm certainly not saying it's over Cap, I just think it might have a harder time because it's the fourth super hero movie this summer.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I got the following trailers before HP: Crazy Stupid Love, One Day, Abduction.

Whose bright idea was it to put these three (comedy, romance, lame Taylor Lautner actioner) in front of a saturday afternoon showing of Harry Potter when there was Dark Knight Rises, Sherlock Holmes 2, John Carter, Hugo, The Thing and far better choices out there? Really? These three?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Interesting Terry. The Potter films have performed so consistently. Nothing really bizarre in over the top grosses nor really that have failed. Some thought DH1 might do better but I kind of thought it would do about what it did being just a Part 1 entry. My favorite of the series performed the least (Azkaban). Go figure! In line again for my 2nd showing on the HTF with my macbook. ;)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I figured HP7.2 would likely be the biggest of the series because it was going to be so action heavy. I didn't figure a $92 million first-day gross, but I thought it would do something like $325 mil domestically. With an opening tally in the area of $180 million, it should earn no less than $400 mil domestically. The movie was already set to make over a billion dollars, but how much more is the real question. Will it be bigger than 'Return of the King' to become Time Warner's biggest global hit? That movie earned $1.119 billion for Time Warner (under the New Line banner). As it stands now it's going to be bigger worldwide than "The Dark Knight" ($1.002 billion) to be the biggest hit under the WB banner. And Tim I completely agree with you. 'Prisoner of Azkaban' is far and away my favorite movie of the franchise and it was the least successful. Of the HP series, I've only really loved three of them. 'Azkaban', 'Order of the Phoenix', and now 'Deathly Hallows: Part 2'. This latest movie will push the franchise's global total past the $7 billion mark. Amazing.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Would be cool for HP to soar past $400M. Doesn't really matter I guess as we know that box office success/failure is not the factor in a film being good or bad. See Transformers :P But yeah as much I have grown to love the Potter series and see the story evolve, I do want it to do well. Not sure If can truthfully say that Azkaban is my favorite anymore. For years it was but over time, each entry since has it's super rich moments that resonate well with me. In lots of ways, the final 45 minutes of Half-Blood Prince is among my favorite sequences in all films of all time. Warner Bros has to be feeling good though. Really good: Hangover 2 did pretty well. Potter looks to soar. The Dark Knight Rises will be huge as will The Hobbit. Favorite films like Potter & films from Nolan make the box office thread appealing to me again. Thx for your efforts Terry. You always provide meaningful analysis.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
captain america will have a teaser for the avengers movie.. some spoilers in the link.. you have been warned. this could help the box office for captain.. besides the good reviews that it has been getting. Jacob http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=79886

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/final-harry-potter-already-wrecking-records/ As a Warner Bros exec tells me, "Unbelievable!" Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 2 flew to $92.1M in the U.S. and Canada Friday (including that record-setting $43.5M from midnight showings) and $44.2M Saturday. That crushes the record for best single-day box office but doesn't break the Saturday record of $51.3M set by Spider-Man 3 on its second day of release. However, HP's franchise finale definitely shatters the biggest 3-day weekend ever with $163M to beat the other gold standard Dark Knight's $158.4M by a lot. And the good news just keeps coming. Part 2 scored an overall CinemaScore of 'A'. Overseas, the franchise finale brought in $157.5M cume from 59 countries for Wednesday and Thursday and Friday (which scored an estimated $75M alone). This is the biggest of the Harry Potter series internationally, 45% higher than Part 2. That makes for a worldwide total of $293.8M so far. Here's the TOP 10: 1. Harry Potter/Hallows, Pt 2 - 3D (Warner Bros) NEW [4,375 Theaters] Friday $92.1M, Saturday $44.2M, Weekend $163M TerryRL Note: The movie will come in about $20 million less than WB's original guestimate, but with numbers this big who really cares? While HP7.2 will have the biggest opening in history, "The Dark Knight" did manage to keep one record, most admissions sold in an opening weekend. TDK sold 22.1 million tickets compared to the estimated 20.74 mil HP7.2 racked up, putting it just ahead of the 20.70 million that Pirates 2 moved during its opening. Overall, WB execs are jumping for joy as the HP series finale is off to a historic start. 2. Transformers 3 - 3D (Paramount) Week 3 [3,917 Theaters] Friday $6.3M, Saturday $9.8M, Weekend $23.5M, Cume $305M 3. Horrible Bosses (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,134 Theaters] Friday $5.4M, Saturday $6.9M, Weekend $17.5M (-39%), Cume $59.8M 4. Zookeeper (Sony) Week 2 [3,482 Theaters] Friday $3.8M, Saturday $5.1M, Weekend $12.5M (-38%), Cume $42.5M 5. Cars 2 - 3D (Disney) Week 4 [3,249 Theaters] Friday $2.4M, Saturday $3.4M, Weekend $8.2M, Cume $165.2M 6. Winnie The Pooh (Disney) NEW [2,405 Theaters] Friday $2.9M, Saturday $2.6M, Weekend $7.5M 7. Bad Teacher (Sony) Week 4 [2,659 Theaters] Friday $1.6M, Saturday $2.1M, Weekend $5M, Cume $88.3M 8. Larry Crowne (Vendome/Universal) Week 3 [2,287 Theaters] Friday $800K, Saturday $1.2M, Weekend $2.7M, Saturday Cume $31.8M 9. Super 8 (Paramount) Week 6 [1,459 Theaters] Friday $545K, Saturday $800K, Cume $1.8M, Cume $122.1M 10. Midnight In Paris (Sony Classics) Week 9 [819 Theaters] Friday $500K, Saturday $800K, Weekend $1.8M, Cume $41.7M

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
For trailers, I saw One Day (with Anne's distractingly bad accent), Abduction, Sherlock Holmes, and Dark Knight Rises.
Tim Glover said:
My favorite of the series performed the least (Azkaban). Go figure!
That's because the second one was the worst. The first one was decent, but the second one was worse, and people started getting Potter fatigue and didn't feel like getting burned on the third. Many shockingly bad sequels do better even though they're horrible, based on the strength of the prior/original -- that was the reverse. I wonder how it did on video. If only people paid a base price to get in, and then "tipped" the theater/distributor/producer for how much they liked it. Then we'd get better movies and fewer unnecessary sequels. Except that would never work, because too many people are cheap bastards that want to be entertained for free.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
HP7.2 earned the biggest four-day haul in history as it's Monday gross pushed it to $187.2 million, coming in $4.3 million ahead of the former four-day king "The Dark Knight", which earned $182.9 million after the same amount of time in theaters. HP7.2's Monday haul ($18.0 million) now ranks as the tenth biggest overall haul for the day, as well as the fourth biggest for a non-holiday Monday mark. "Spider-Man 2" holds the overall record with $27.7 million (it was during the fourth of July holiday frame from '04), while TDK holds the non-holiday record mark with $24.5 million. HP7.2's worldwide gross now stands at a staggering $542.2 million.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks