2011-2012 TV Schedule (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by MattH.

Thanks for this. Where in the world is Debra Messing's Smash? They're holding this back for midseason? Weird.

It and "The Voice" are going to make a midseason block.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
CBS keeps announcing renewals, but so far, no "The Good Wife". I figure it's coming since they gave several cast members 2 year extensions, but it'd be good if they made it official ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll check out The Playboy Club, since a period thing sounds interesting (probably jumping on the Mad Men bandwagon). I don't know most of the rest of NBC's new pickups, but since most of them are comedies, I'll probably pass. I will check out Grimm just to help Chuck's role as lead-in (not that I'm a Nielsen or that I watch live on my DVR). After that, it's just Parenthood and Community for me.

I don't know when or where the two Abrams shows are going to be, but I'm really looking forward to Alcatraz. I hope it got picked up. I'm all for more Jorge Garcia on network TV. Funny how many shows have Lost alum, though I don't think the O'Quinn vehicle sounds to my liking.

I've heard that Chuck has a back 11 option. As a superfan, of course I'll hope for the extra eps, but I hope they are writing the first 13 to serve as a finale if need be, with a strong 11-ep finale arc in mind if they get a few more. Chuck has had a lot of episodes that could have served as great sendoffs, so I doubt it's a problem. It'd be funny if Chuck becomes an unexpected hit on Friday and NBC rethinks the whole "last season" thing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The NBC execs have stated that the 13-episodes were picked up as a fixed, final season. Unless it suddenly gets 11 million viewers, these 13 episodes are going to be it. Warner Bros. offered an especially attractive financial deal for the fifth season in order to get enough episodes for syndication, and that's the only reason it's coming back.

So the Friday Death Slot is fine with me. I would much rather have a definite 13-episode final season than get cut off with some tease for a new arc left hanging.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
NBC is seriously giving up Saturday prime time? Does that leave affiliates on their own for the evening? Three hours of a test pattern?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's on Saturday currently? Reruns? Certainly nothing I regularly watch or pay attention to. Is giving up on Saturday different in any practical way from normal scheduling?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Chase, LOLA, and repeats of LO:SVU are the Saturday lineup. I think NBC will make Saturday a rerun night -- they don't want to pay for original programming no one watches. The other nets show sports programming, movies, and reruns as well, so Friday night death slot is apparently no where near as deadly as the Saturday night black hole. I think it's smart for NBC to try to make Friday a viable TV night -- Saturday is basically off the table, and they can't lose any more nights.

Dunno if it will work, but I suppose they're banking on lonely geeks home alone and watching TV on Friday night.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
FOX just released its schedule:

imgrepo

Drama Comedy Reality News/Sports

* New Programming

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had no idea Saturday night had non-rerun programming! How about that.

Terra Nova is a definite-watch pilot, for me. (Fringe didn't impress me, and I gave up on it after a few episodes its first season (and incorrectly predicted its rapid cancellation). I'm now inclined to give it another try on disc.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter C

Looks like America's Most Wanted has been cancelled (again).

Fox is "transitioning" to quarterly specials, which basically means two hour long episodes four times a year. It allows them to keep the prestige of the brand without actually having to produce very much programming.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Originally Posted by DaveF

(Fringe didn't impress me, and I gave up on it after a few episodes its first season (and incorrectly predicted its rapid cancellation). I'm now inclined to give it another try on disc.)
That was my situation with that show. Got both seasons on DVD, though I've only had time to watch 3-4 episodes thus far.

I'll definitely check out Terra Nova and Alcatraz, but don't hold high hopes for either. It is FOX after all.

In terms of NBC, looks like my viewing hangs tough at one hour per week. *sigh*

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Fox put up long trailers of all their new shows:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLE3D66319A26AFA98

My brief thoughts:

"I Hate My Teenage Daughter" = FAIL

"Alcatraz" = also potentially awesome

Flat out, if they can live up to their trailer Alcatraz and Terra Nova could be fantastic

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

"Terra Nova" = I don't get the base concept; if they go back to 85M BC, wouldn't they screw the entire timeline up and create a monumental paradox? Still, the way it looks is fantastic. If they come up with some magic to explain those things (alternate earth in the past or something) I'm down.

There's two ways to look at this. 1) The extinction level event that wiped out the dinosaurs is so great and so vast that it essentially creates a buffer against paradox, since whatever impact the time travelers have on the world will get wiped out by the extinction level event; 2) Time operates on a quantum theory each group sent back in time splinters off an entirely new timeline. In this scenario, what would be a paradox in a linear theory of time is actually the point, since the camp in prehistoric times serves as a workshop to get human development right. The point of the camps might in fact be to prevent the man-made extinction from happening.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
ABC just released their schedule. Another network that leaves the most promising and interesting of its pickups until midseason:

imgrepo

Drama Comedy Reality News/Sports

* New Programming

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks