What's new

2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver, Canada (1 Viewer)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I don't know exactly when the skating finished - my recorder timer was set to 05:00 CET (11PM Eastern) and I believe the last skater finished circa not more than 10 minutes later. Here in germany - both Eurosport and the ZDF both replayed the next morning. My suggestion is that in the USA for olympics and other events, there be a "live" website and "on-demand" to replay things did not seen.

Europe and Canada show things live. Why is the USA so backward!!! There are many selfish people at NBC. I really can't see NBC loosing money.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Skeleton was a lot of fun to watch last night. Congratulations to Canada! And the United States women finished fourth, getting bumped out of medal contention when the last runner had the fastest time on the track (and got gold as a result).

The ice dancing went sort of the way I thought it would, except that I felt Belbin and Agosto would be in the top three positions after the compulsory. The free and original programs had better be good for them if they hope to overtake White and Davis, not to mention the Russian pair.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Can't stand the edited coverage and NBC....especially in the downhill event...

Here is the formula they use:

Show any American in the event, past winner, or someone from any country who is about to crash. If they are not American, and you don't hear the words "past medal winner", be prepared for a wipeout of some kind.

For general comments:

Instead of actually showing you some coverage, put in a fluff background piece that goes on way too long...

Ice dancing is boring enough...must you show the compulsory competition where they all have to do the exact same routine, with minor changes at the beginning and end...they even have the exact same music.

Overhype of any American favorites (Shawn White, Anton Ohno, ect....) with more background stuff and fluff, plus interviews, then hold their actual completion until the very end of the show....putting something boring on before hand to make you suffer...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Martino

Show any American in the event, past winner, or someone from any country who is about to crash. If they are not American, and you don't hear the words "past medal winner", be prepared for a wipeout of some kind.
Yesterday I was watching giant slalom, I think, anyway they had a guy going down and they said this guy is 40 years old and has never had a serious injury, next thing you see is this guy flying about 30 feet into the air and landing on his back and gets knocked cold, and I think they took him off on a stretcher.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Must be the daytime. That's not the routine for primetime; they're showing things live. I'm watching bobsled, downhill and speed skating tonight. It's been a mix of US and international competitors and whatever successes or crashes that happen.

I suppose coverage issues are more noticeable if you actually care about sports. I casually watch, only care about the Americans, and am mostly content to see the big-names compete. The occasional bio piece is fun and breaks the monotony of skating and races and bobsleds.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was one of the most thrilling 1000 meter speed skating finals I've ever seen. The Koreans really do excel, and it showed tonight.

In curling, I also saw some of the most remarkable shots I've ever seen in the sport before, coming from both the Canadian and Great Britain teams. At one point (I think it was the third end), most of the rocks were nibbling at the button, and one shot knocked out three from the other team. It was such a great shot.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
You do realize that downhill event (technically not downhill, but Super-G) happened this afternoon, not in primetime, right? All of the skiing has been that way. When the results are all over the internet hours and hours before it happens, what's the point in waiting to time-delay the coverage? It just means less people will watch it because they've seen the results elsewhere. And for those who watch it anyway, well then you can air it live as it happens, and then again in primetime. It just makes no sense.

Originally Posted by DaveF

That's not the routine for primetime; they're showing things live. I'm watching bobsled, downhill and speed skating tonight.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_H

You do realize that downhill event (technically not downhill, but Super-G) happened this afternoon, not in primetime, right? All of the skiing has been that way. When the results are all over the internet hours and hours before it happens, what's the point in waiting to time-delay the coverage? It just means less people will watch it because they've seen the results elsewhere. And for those who watch it anyway, well then you can air it live as it happens, and then again in primetime. It just makes no sense.
Nope. No idea when the events take place. Don't care. I don't follow the Olympics online. I don't care about the results per se. What's the pleasure in looking up scores online? I turn it on at night when I'm home and half-watch in HD on the big TV, often while doing other things.

As a casual viewer, I have no problems with NBC's coverage. Interesting Winter Olympics are on TV when I can watch it. That's all I care about. :)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I think there are many people like DaveF. I think many (?most?) people don't care if it is "live" . I do believe though that there are sports fans who would rather see it live (and perhaps again in prime time.) My suggestion stated above , have a "live" website and also the provision to see sometime that one has missed. There are times when many things are on at the same time. Another reason for having a recorder so that one can play something at a time convenient.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see Canada and the USA knocked out of contention for a gold medal. Ideally, I'd like to see both countries knocked out of medal contention altogether, but that isn't going to happen. It was too bad the Swiss couldn't complete against Canada in their matchup. Canada-USA matchup this afternoon. Sounds like the USA is leading in total points, so Canada needs to win. I'd like to see Canada win in order to reduce the overall lead and then see both teams blow it when it really counts. An all European gold medal matchup would be ideal. I'd laugh for a week.
Worst. games. ever. Right on. I've been hoping for seven years that this would be the result for the Vancouver Olympics. It proves to me that there is a God. Maybe this will teach the bastards governing this province not to disenfranchise 3/4 of a province from the right to vote on whether they want to host worthless garbage like this, next time.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Not quite sure where the hell you are coming up with the thought that these are the worst games ever. I think any objective observation would not rate them as such but to each his own.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Edwin-S Maybe this will teach the bastards governing this province not to disenfranchise 3/4 of a province from the right to vote on whether they want to host worthless garbage like this, next time.
Edwin i think it so sad for someone to wish the things you have on the athletes and these events. I wish you would stop, you have made your point, also I'm sure even Canadian Politics are not supposed to be discussed on HTF.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Watching on the west coast....all tape delayed and edited out here....maybe it is live in NY...

Most of the primetime stuff is. Usually the most prominent events are shown live and complete, with tape-delayed highlights of the other events fit in during the lulls. Most of the tape-delayed stuff had taken place within the hour, so it's not that big of a deal. I've actually been really pleased with NBC's coverage this time around. More focused on the sports and less focused on the fluff.

The only thing that has me kind of peeved is that that much anticipated Canada-USA hockey game tonight has been shunted to MSNBC instead of the main network. Would have liked to see that one in HD.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by DaveF

What's the pleasure in looking up scores online?
Well, it's not that I intentionally look up scores online, but my home page is news.google.com (unpersonalized). Two of the top headlines on the first screen are results of stuff that as far as I know, hasn't been aired on TV yet (though I'll admit I haven't tried watching anything today either). Pitchers are reporting to Spring Training for baseball, and I like to follow up on the offseason football transactions and information... which means generally using ESPN once or twice daily, which again, means the results plastered all over the place. I hardly think I'm alone in wanting to see the results for myself but also checking such websites as news.google.com and ESPN.

I can understand that people would rather watch in primetime. But they should also show it live as it happens. I'm sure it'd get more viewers than their normal daytime TV, and most people would still watch it as night as well.

Instead, for the past week or so, they've shown live curling all day long, maybe a hockey game or two, and tape-delayed a bunch of the exciting events like the skiing. Vonn's gold (and bronze last night, and her fall the day before) was plastered all over the place hours before it happened.

It's just with so many networks, you'd think they'd find a way to get everything on live as well as doing the primetime coverage they've had.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

That was one of the most thrilling 1000 meter speed skating finals I've ever seen. The Koreans really do excel, and it showed tonight.
That was fun to watch, and also enjoyed the women's 1500m in the late night coverage, which I recorded, but cut off before the finals aired. Those wipe outs are hilarious to watch.

And saw the US women get destroyed by the home team in curling.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Great hockey game tonight, though I'm wondering why it was relegated to MSNBC (and yes, still just partially bitter that that's the one I don't get in HD).

US vs Canada, both teams are undefeated so far, and it's not on NBC, CNBC, or USA?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
One of the best hockey games I've ever seen. Both teams were giving it all. The extra effort to get around the D and poke the empty netter was laying it out and then some. Here's to a spectacular medal round!

Oh and Edwin . . . if you want to have a twice daily temper tantrum about the Olympics, start your own damn thread. You'll be the only one in it, and we can celebrate the joy of sport and competition without your juvenile screeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks