What's new

2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver, Canada (1 Viewer)

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I object in principal to all subjective scoring.
Anything using subjective scoring is an exhibition, not a competition. (IMO)
Examples of things I think should be included in the Olympics, or not.
Speed skating - yes: Figure skating - no.
Snow-Cross - yes: Halfpipe - no.
Slalom - yes: Freestyle - no.
200 meter butterfly (Summer, swimming) - yes: Diving - no.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Jay H

It was great to see Shani Davis win a gold medal in one of the speedskating events, edging out the Korean (another medal in the sport, their second ever in their history), and bumping Chad Hedrick down to bronze. I guess there is no feud between Davis and Hedrick this time around.

Walter,

Agreed. I really like how Davis carries himself when interviewed. It was a wonderful day for the United States yesterday, with three gold medals and at least one bronze. I saw Lindsey Vonn's gold and Davis' 1,000 meter win, and topped off the evening watching Shaun White's insanity in the half pipe. Goodness, his skills on the snowboard are mind-boggling. That spiraling 'Double McTwist' 1260 was amazing.

BTW, I hope Lysacek skates the long program of his life today.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Originally Posted by DaveF

I didn't hear it. I even jumped back with the Tivo and still didn't hear it. And I wanted to hear what I assumed will get NBC sued into oblivion for :)
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/NBC-catches-Shaun-White-coach-having-vulgar-cha?urn=oly,220425

I heard the beginning of the transcript when Shaun was joking about running straight down the middle but didn't really notice the rest... I think that would of been funny if he simply just skated down the middle and ended the run.. That would be style! :)

Jay

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I watched live the woman's down hill yesterday starting at 8PM german time (2PM eastern). For your info, the official website is: http://www.vancouver2010.com/. On it, they give the start times (Pacific coast) and start lists. In general for many years one sees events LIVE and not ala NBC). Many people were asking where can I see this live? Others said tonite at 8PM on NBC. Many people were quite annoyed with NBC. If curling and Cross country wre live, why not the downhill?.I can answer that - NBC is only interested in $$$$ is doesn't care about the sports fans. As noted above NBC doesn't appear to showing much live. So many many people yesterday stated "I want to see it live". When the Olympics were in Atlanta, people in Europe saw more than the US! Currently people living near the Canadian border see much more live than people in the US. Lucky are those in the US who can get Canadian TV. I think people should write the official olympic heads (and perhaps the US Olympic heads) to be able in future Olympics to be able to watch all major events live (as well as in "prime time".)Perhaps have events on the internet "as on demand" if one can not see it live.

Another observation, many people were not sure if the race was finished due to delays caused by accidents. They should look at the official website for partial results. It was also cleaer that many of the olympic sports such as the Alpine and Nordic sports are not shown on US TV as here in Europe. During the winter season many events are shown everyweek. One gets to know who is good. It was clear that many are not fimiliar with the events. For example, the down hill (and Super G) , the best start with circa number 12 and the last batch at the end are usually not very good. For the Giant Slalum and Slalum, the best start with no 1. The best 30 go into the 2nd round and reverse order - with the 30th ranked going first. With Ski-Jumping, there is a qualification for circa 40 places. Those will start in the 1st jump along with the best 1o in the season rankings who are automatically qualified. After the 1st run, the 30 best results of the 1st run go into the 2nd run with the 30th ranked starting first and ending with the 1st ranked

There are many major sporting events not shown, I believe, on US TV. For example this past year was the swimming WC, and there a track and field and none of these is shown live or delay, I believe. Also every year in May is the world Ice Hockey Championships which is going on at the sametime as the Stanly Cup. For results one may have too look hard in a back page of the NY Times. This ought to be shown on US TV. I believe last year it was in Canada and I am sure it was televised there.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Yeah, our coverage of the olympics is pretty good. It's on practically 24 hours with breaks for news. What you can't catch live on CTV you can on our sports channel TSN or Rogers Sportsnet. Our coverage though has always been fairly good no matter what country hosted the Olympics. I'm just surprised that the US doesn't have more extensive coverage. I turned onto to NBC to watch an event and I switched back to CTV. Very disappointing.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Walter,

Agreed. I really like how Davis carries himself when interviewed. It was a wonderful day for the United States yesterday, with three gold medals and at least one bronze. I saw Lindsey Vonn's gold and Davis' 1,000 meter win, and topped off the evening watching Shaun White's insanity in the half pipe. Goodness, his skills on the snowboard are mind-boggling. That spiraling 'Double McTwist' 1260 was amazing.
Yeah, it was interesting to see him be more loose, and even having a friendly chat with Mo-Tae Bum of Korea. Luckily I manage to record that, and watch it happen. Too bad I missed the downhill.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H

Funny, I was thinking the same thing... It all looks like going down, up, doing a bunch of spins, hopefully landing to prep for the next one. I say the same thing about figure skating, I can't tell the triple moo cow from a triple Klutz or whatever... :)
Well, the Triple Moo Cow is pretty awesome, and distinguished from the others by the spray of milk. But, yeah, the rest of them are all incomprehensible violations of Newton's Laws.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
So who is in the mood for some Skeleton tonight? I know I am!
e266730.gif

Walter,

I was surprised at what one of the Korean speed skaters had to say about Ohno not deserving to be on the podium. This will kindle some fires, I would think.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ockeghem I know those Korean skaters who wiped out, it's bad enough that happened, but losing to Ohno, just adds major insult to injury. If it was anyone else, I don't think they say something like that.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
The Olympics beat "American Idol" in the US TV ratings.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100218/ap_en_ot/us_olympics_vs_idol

Jimi C

Screenwriter
NBC has coverage on multiple channels. USA network, CNBC and MSNBC. I'm fortunate to live in an area where I also get all of the Canadian networks, which means I have gotten to see every mens hockey game so far which is what I'm most interested in.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

I was surprised at what one of the Korean speed skaters had to say about Ohno not deserving to be on the podium. This will kindle some fires, I would think.

The Koreans and Ohno have a lot of bad blood between them. During the 1500 m final at Salt Lake, South Korean skater Kim Dong-Sung finished first but was quickly disqualified, bumping Ohno into first. Afterward, both Ohno and the IOC got death threats from fervent South Korean fans.

And then what happens in the 1500 m final at Vancouver? Moments before a South Korean sweep, the second place and third place skaters crash into each other allowing Ohno and fellow American J. R. Celski to slip into the silver and bronze medal finishes. Had Salt Lake not happened, it would have been chalked up to a frustrating but innocent accident. However, since Salt Lake DID happen, some South Koreans see it as Ohno again profiting at their country's expense. Ohno didn't help matters when he told reporters than before the wipeout saved him "I was hoping there was going to be another disqualification like in Salt Lake City." Only after that comment did Lee Jung-Su come out with his allegations that Ohno had been to aggressive during the semi-finals.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I admit, that "Double McTwist" was maybe one of the craziest things I have ever seen. That is one of those things that you just have to say "wow, does that guy have a set of balls" because all I could think of is: don't miss and rip your head off on TV!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, regarding Ohno and the Koreans, they still did win Gold and Ohno and Celski were just fortunate to be in the right place to get the silver/bronze. Kind of sux for the Koreans, but that just happens. Just look at Jacobellis in Torino during the bordercross.

The Canadian mens hockey team survives a close match with Switzerland! Saw the end of the 3rd period on CNBC/MSNBC last night... Missed most of the Olympics last night other than the women's halfpipe..

Jay

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
There was some wonderful action in the women's half pipe, men's hockey, slalom, and men's figure skating last night. Team Canada won a thrilling game in a shootout. The Olympics are quite exciting again this time around.

I was thrilled to see Lysacek win the gold medal. (It was a red-eye evening for me, both with the skating and the Celtics - Lakers going into the late hours of the morning.) He was virtually flawless (as was Plushenko) in his performance. He looked genuinely surprised by the result, and had to look at the scores more than once. Well done!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
^^^^
Lindsay Vonn's nasty fall preventing her from winning a 2nd gold, which is too bad! I just could not stay awake for the entire men's free program, which apparently ran past midnight. So I had to record it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Walter C

^^^^
Lindsay Vonn's nasty fall preventing her from winning a 2nd gold, which is too bad! I just could not stay awake for the entire men's free program, which apparently ran past midnight. So I had to record it.

I watched most of it, and taped the Celtics-Lakers game. I also caught some of the Cavaliers-Nuggets duel. There sure wasn't a shortage of good sporting events to watch last night.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not that interested in the Winter Olympics...

But my parents (right around 80 years old apiece) told me today they could not stay up to see the end of the figure skating and were disappointed to have missed it.

If NBC is going to be time-shifting events for their coverage I'd think they'd be smarter about losing their audience late at night. Put the X-Games stuff on late and keep the older folks happy by putting the skating on earlier!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Not to mention that you're pretty much packed and headed for spring training to get autographs from many of your favorite pitchers and catchers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks