What's new

2010: Good Year for TV-DVD's? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

Considering that we're in the midst of a somewhat bad economy (10% unemployment, massive oil spill, two wars, the fallout of the bank mess,etc) would you say that 2010 was a pretty good year for tv DVDs.

My opinion: Yes, Far better than we deserve. I'm guessing we've had about 30 plus unreleased tv series programs coming out this year, Max Headroom, Tales of the Gold Monkey, Marcus Welby, Wagon Train, etc. Some cult shows, continuance of Dallas, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, the Fugitive, news on Mannix just coming out, etc.

Even lost cult hits like Thriller, with an outstanding extras list, made it out. So somebody has something to be happy about. Some pretty high releases such as Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman should be out soon, and how excellent is that?

With WB Archives starting to put out tv programs like Falcon Crest season 2, Night Court season 4, more shows that wouldn't have made it at Best Buy and Walmart will be able to make it out to their fans. Also they've started with animation product such as Thundarr and Pirates of DarkWater. Granted, there are no extras, but its something for their fans.

Also want to give credit to Shout Studios for taking on contracts with various other companies, and helping to get series out that would otherwise wouldn't get out.

Series like When Things Were Rotten, Werewolf, Brooklyn Bridge, Frank's Place and other short lived programs that got detoured on their release schedule, hopefully will be resolved in the future (note: I have no news on this series from anybody, I'm just speculating).

Granted, there are three months left in this year, but overall I'd say 2010 was an excellent year for tv DVD releases, baring other bad economical news I'd like to think 2011 will hold more of the same.

James

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
And, adding to everything you said, the new announcements for VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and IRONSIDE have also made this a great year!

And, if not exactly a “great year”, a better year than I expected!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
All in all, this ended up being a very good year I think. We saw two Universal "one and done" titles rescued at last with "Dragnet" (two seasons no less!) and "McMillan And Wife." We saw these vintage titles completed: "Voyage", "Mary Tyler Moore", "Patty Duke Show", "Bill Cosby Show". A Grail title for me in "Ellery Queen" came out, and we saw more releases of "Ironside", "Adam-12" and "Hawaii Five-O" and even "Gunsmoke" didn't stay stalled.

I'm very close to the point where I find I am less frustrated by what isn't out on DVD and more happy with what is out. Yes, there's still stuff that irritates me like the stall-out of "Burke's Law", the continued limbo status of "The Big Valley" and no action on ANY Warner classic titles at all this year (which means Warner once again takes the award for worst studio regarding classic TV), but it looms less and less for me now.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was a good year for TV on DVD from Shout and other companies that license classic TV shows.

But, the big 5 (or 6) studios are out of the business of Classic TV on DVD almost entirely.

We did get a lot of series unstalled this year... Facts of Life, Ironside, All in the Family, the Mary Tyler Moore show will be finished in under a week, shows we never thought we would see, like Max Headroom and The Larry Sanders Show, are either out or on the way...

It was a very good year. Not quite up there with the heyday of 2005-2007, but better than the last couple of years.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And I will be the first to admit that after spending much of the year previously bitching about where Shout! had I felt let the customers down, they did just about everything I could have hoped for to redeem themselves in my eyes with the "Select" program taking care of the two shows I had the biggest complaints about in Ironside and Bill Cosby Show. The "Rhoda" S1 debacle I suppose is the one thing that can never be fixed but overall they and Timeless and other independent labels really came into their own this year in maximizing the output that the big studios just weren't doing any longer.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
A year ago I believed the Detroit Lions had a better chance of winning the Super Bowl that we'd see releases of The Six Million Dollar Man and the Original The Bionic Woman.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
All in the Family - Season 7

Beverly Hillbillies - Season 4

Dennis the Menace - Season 1

Diff'rent Strokes - Season 3

Green Acres - Season 4

Happy Days - Season 5

Here's Lucy - Season 3

Here's Lucy - Season 4

Jeffersons - Season 7

Laverne & Shirley - Season 5

Lucy Show - Season 2

Lucy Show - Season 3

Mary Tyler Moore Show - Season 5

Mary Tyler Moore Show - Season 6

Mary Tyler Moore Show - Season 7

Mister Ed - Season 2

Mister Ed - Season 3

Mister Ed - Season 4

Mork and Mindy - Season 4

Rhoda - Season 2

Rhoda - Season 3

Rhoda - Season 4

Overall, it has been a reasonably good year.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I don't mind saying it's been much better than I ever thought it could be coming into 2010. I honestly didn't see Shout and Timeless coming up with so many great classic sets. But for those two outfits, I do believe this year would have been the pits. The majors haven't done a whole lot, but at least they now seem to be willing to let Shout or Timeless do the work.

Gary "I'm thinking 2011 will see a drop off in vintage titles offered, but I hope I'm wrong" O.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I'd say this has been the best year in a long time. My most greatly and eagerly anticapted DVD release came to pass, Gimme A Break The Complete Series, albeit through Canada. The release of Tales Of The Gold Monkey, a show I never thought would see the DVD light of day, was excellent. The announcement that Shout! has rescued All In The Family, the list goes on and on. Now we hear Shout! is releasing Webster, there first license from CBS Paramount. This means that Shout! now has connections and releases from every major studio. So almost nothing is unreachable. The pattern here is that smaller undependent studios are the hope of TV on DVD. The larger studios are turning to MOD. Yes, 2010 has been a GREAT year for TV on DVD and hopefully 2011 will be even better.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by TV_Fan

I'd say this has been the best year in a long time. My most greatly and eagerly anticapted DVD release came to pass, Gimme A Break The Complete Series, albeit through Canada. The release of Tales Of The Gold Monkey, a show I never thought would see the DVD light of day, was excellent. The announcement that Shout! has rescued All In The Family, the list goes on and on. Now we hear Shout! is releasing Webster, there first license from CBS Paramount. This means that Shout! now has connections and releases from every major studio. So almost nothing is unreachable. The pattern here is that smaller undependent studios are the hope of TV on DVD. The larger studios are turning to MOD. Yes, 2010 has been a GREAT year for TV on DVD and hopefully 2011 will be even better.

I was happy with the following releases in 2010

1. Ellery Queen Mysteries

2. Hawaii Five-O (S9)

3. Emergency! (S6)

4. Adam-12 (S5)

5. Thriller

I am looking forward to 2011 with some optimism, especially the following

1. Hawaii Five (more to come)

2. Dallas

3. Mannix

I am also hoping to complete/purchased the following sets

1. Enterprise (S3)

2. Mission Impossible (S1-7)

3. Partridge Family (S4)

It would be nice to see other series completed next year, like

1. White Shadow

2. SWAT

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by younger1968

I am also hoping to complete/purchased the following sets

1. Enterprise (S3)

You are going to LOVE Enterprise S3!

I've just seen it for the FIRST TIME, and it beats anything in past seasons, and most "Modern Trek" period! A season-long arc, riveting all the way through.

Can't wait to crack open S4!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

Hi Joe,

I have S1, S2 and S4 on dvd. I got a deal on those released. I would have bought S3, but, the price seems to be fixed. So, i am hoping the price would drop, but, if not, then i will slot it for my budget next near..

I am a glad to hear that you loke S3. I was not a big fan of S3, because it spend in expanse. There was some really good episodes in S3. My favourite season was S4, because it showed items, like Tupau coming to power, transporter inventor, the visit to andoria, etc.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
It's shaping up to be a good year for me, espescially if Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea releases before it's out! That plus the release of Thriller, completion of Mission Impossible and the Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman (which started here in the UK then stopped at the second seasons) make 2010 a good one.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am happy with the 2010 release year. First, Leave it to Beaver, The Complete Series came out in an excellent release. There has also been a continuation of Adam 12 and Dragnet from Shout. The restarted Have Gun Will Travel and Gunsmoke have also been good news along with the continuation of Hawaii Five O and Perry Mason. In addition, Timeless released The Virginian and a Checkmate Complete Series. I know I am leaving some things out, but these are some that immediately come to mind.

There are other shows I would like to have seen released. The recent announcement for Mannix Season 4 is great news for the start of 2011. Let's hope 2011 doesn't see a further reduction in the number of releases from 2010.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
For me, '10 is turning out to be a fairly good year considering the economy and that there's no doubt to me that the TV/DVD (older series) mkt is declining.

My list for this year, buys and releases scheduled for the rest of the year:

Some will be delievered by that guy on the sled the night of the 24th

TITLE RELEASE DATE

VEGA$ S1 V2 02/09/10 BARNABY JONES S1 02/16/10 ADAM-12 S4 02/23/10 MATLOCK S4 03/02/10 SCARECROW & MRS KING S1 03/09/10 ALIAS SMITH & JONES S2 & 3 04/13/10 FALCON CREST S1 04/20/10 PERRY MASON S5 V1 04/20/10 FLIPPER S2 (MOD) 06/03/10 A-TEAM COMPL SET 06/08/10 TALES OF THE GOLD MONKEY COMPL 06/08/10 LEAVE IT TO BEAVER COMPLETE SERIES 06/29/10 MATLOCK S5 07/20/10 ADAM 12 S5 08/10/10 STEVE CANYON V3 TBD FALCON CREST S2 (MOD) 08/31/10 RICH MAN POOR MAN COMPL R1 09/28/10 JOHNNY STACCATO 10/12/10 BIONIC WOMAN S1 10/19/10 DARK SKIES COMPLETE SERIES (R2) 10/18/10 THE FUGITIVE S4 V1 11/02/10 PERRY MASON S5 V2 11/16/10 6M$M COMPLETE SERIES (T/L) 11/23/10 VEGAS S2 V1 12/07/10

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Nice list, Jeff. I am on schedule to pick up 36 sets in all for 2010. I bought 66 sets in 2009. I bought (and I'm ashamed to say this) 108 sets in 2008. That's insane!

In looking over the sets I bought (or will buy) for 2010 I see that 17 of the 36 were put out by either Shout or Timeless. So they accounted for almost half my total purchases. Those two were wild cards in my mind as we kicked off the year. I had no idea they'd be securing and releasing so many classics. Bravo to both companies! The real slowdown, at least for me, was with the larger studios. Even CBS/Paramount, the best of the big boys in terms of releasing classic TV, dropped off somewhat. Hopefully Shout and Timeless can keep churning out classics next year like they did this year.

Gary "very nice to see Shout finally secure a CBS/Paramount title (Webster) - hopefully they can secure many more next year" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I never really thought about tracking how many sets I've bought and when. But you all got me curious, so I looked back at my accounts on my favorite places to buy on-line. In the end, I've concluded that ignorance is sometimes better. For 2010, I'm coming in at around 70+ sets. In 2009, I estimate at around 100+ sets. Unlike Gary, 2008 wasn't my biggest year since that is when I first got into this hobby. Shows what one can do when trying to make up for lost time.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb

I never really thought about tracking how many sets I've bought and when. But you all got me curious, so I looked back at my accounts on my favorite places to buy on-line. In the end, I've concluded that ignorance is sometimes better. For 2010, I'm coming in at around 70+ sets. In 2009, I estimate at around 100+ sets. Unlike Gary, 2008 wasn't my biggest year since that is when I first got into this hobby. Shows what one can do when trying to make up for lost time.

Brad, you are undoubtedly better off for coming to the party late. I'm sure you were able to pick up plenty of sets at bargain prices. Before this year I'd say I pre-ordered more sets than not. And although I'd generally get 30% off those pre-order prices, it was still more money than I would have paid had I been willing to wait a few months after release before buying. This year I'm holding off on most sets until I can get them at 50% off or better. I haven't done that for everything, but for most purchases I'm now willing to wait it out. I've got plenty of backlog to watch so it's not a big deal.

Gary "take care, buddy" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Brad, you are undoubtedly better off for coming to the party late. I'm sure you were able to pick up plenty of sets at bargain prices.

Absolutely true. I think one of my first really big orders came in the early months of 2009 when CBS/Paramount had a sale on most of their titles. I must have picked up at least 20 titles for 50% off. I hadn't made any pre-orders until just a few this year since previously I was still buying the earlier seasons marked down as incentives for upcoming releases. So it really has been a benefit in that regard. The only problem is that a few titles went OOP before I got into the game. The idea of a backlog is an major understatement in my situation. But not really a bad perdicament to be in..

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
However, being an early adopter of TV on DVD also has a few advantages. For example, because I started collecting with Star Trek: The Next Generation, I don't balk as much at stuff like the Shout Select prices for DVD sets because I remember when the prices for sets really were outrageous. I mean, something like Ironside S3 or 4, which is 7 discs for 50 bucks is half the price that 7 discs of TNG were.

We got spoiled by the heyday of 2005-2007.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks