What's new

2010 FIFA World Cup - South Africa (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Sumnernor

I will admit, I was biased with Saturday's games. Otherwise, I would have been 3-1.

FIFA better have a replay system in place by 2014. The bad calls of this magnitude cannot go on like this.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter C
FIFA better have a replay system in place by 2014. The bad calls of this magnitude cannot go on like this.

lol

The bad calls in this World Cup are of no more major a magnitude then they have been in the past. Perhaps today was karmic payback for 1966, and don't get me started about the disgraceful conduct of England regarding the scheduling of games that year.

Sure I guess the game could have finished differently if England had not been denied the goal they deserved but in reality they we out played by a better team.

Perhaps the myth of England being an international power can now be laid to rest. It clearly is a belief not grounded in reality.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

lol

The bad calls in this World Cup are of no more major a magnitude then they have been in the past. Perhaps today was karmic payback for 1966, and don't get me started about the disgraceful conduct of England regarding the scheduling of games that year.

Sure I guess the game could have finished differently if England had not been denied the goal they deserved but in reality they we out played by a better team.

But then, what about the first goal in the Argentina-Mexico game, when the scorer was clearly off-sides? Plus the referee not being sure himself.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Yes, FIFA needs to get its head out of its you-know-what and make some serious changes. To have so many controversial missed calls on goals in a sport that is so low scoring to begin with is an embarrassment. A second referee and instant replay would resolve many issues.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
But then, what about the first goal in the Argentina-Mexico game, when the scorer was clearly off-sides? Plus the referee not being sure himself.

Let me clarify something, my "lol" was to the notion that the blown calls in this Cup were of a magnitude greater then in past cups. They simply are not.

Would I be up for an additional ref but not really certain instant reply would work like it does in the NFL or could work in MLB since football is a game of constant movement while the other two sport mentioned have nature breaks in the action to allow for it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The referee already wears a headset, so placing an official "upstairs" who is constantly viewing the TV feed and communicating with the ref on the field would add little or no delay to the game. Such a solution would have rectified both bad calls yesterday.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
FIFA announced a solution to the problem today. They will no longer show controversial calls on the large TV screens at the arena. HAHA. If that isn't a slap to the face. Obviously nothing would change mid World cup, but that's just funny.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

The referee already wears a headset, so placing an official "upstairs" who is constantly viewing the TV feed and communicating with the ref on the field would add little or no delay to the game. Such a solution would have rectified both bad calls yesterday.

Too bad FIFA is too stubborn to think of that.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

FIFA announced a solution to the problem today. They will no longer show controversial calls on the large TV screens at the arena. HAHA. If that isn't a slap to the face. Obviously nothing would change mid World cup, but that's just funny.

Actually, that's always been the rule. What happened is that in the Argentina v. Mexico game, Tevez's goal was shown, as most successful goals usually are, with the video tech not realising that Tevez was offside, and once the replay had been seen by the crowd saw it they reacted. In contrast, Lampard's disallowed goal was never shown on-screen -- although it was blindingly obvious to me watching on TV in real-time that it was a good goal.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I cannot believe that the FIFA officials don't realize how incredibly stupid they look to simply ignore modern technology. I supposed these folks still insist the Earth is flat, as well.

When they care more about "tradition" than fairness and credibility, it just makes them look incredibly ridiculous and out of touch.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Now, FIFA is reconsidering their stance on video technology.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/bad-calls-prompt-fifa-to-study-high-tech-ref-help--fbintl_ap-wcup-videotechnology.html

They need to add this, not only to cut back on bad calls, but also for the safety of the refs. They should not have to be under heavy security.

Now we are down to 8 teams, with domination by the South American teams. If past history is any indication, a South American team will win this World Cup.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Donovan: More referees or replay
see http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/06/30/donovan.wc.ap/

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
With the quarterfinals starting today, I'll make my predictions...

Today, it will be Brazil and Uruguay. Although I am hoping the other teams can pull off the upsets in their respective matches.

Tomorrow, it'll be Argentina and Spain.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't convinced Brazil could beat the Dutch, however I wouldn't of bet that way, and damned if they didn't lose to them. Netherlands is a great team.

I'll say Uruguay beats Ghana.

Argentina beats Germany in best game of WC so far.

Spean beats Paraguay, however I'm not sold on this either.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched the first half of the Brazil - Netherlands game streamed in my office. I left at halftime for a meeting, and was shocked to see that the Dutch came back, since Brazil completely dominated the first half. That must have been quite a 2nd half turnaround!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I agree with you. I watched the whole game "live". In the 2nd half - it is amazing how Holland scoring 2 goals pepped them up. The first dutch goal was a goalie error- he should have gotten it. Brazil also got a red card for stepping on a dutch player. With time running out Brazil was very hectic.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The end of the Ghana/Uru game, holy cow. Those last few seconds in front of the goal, the red card, then the miss, wow.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Luiz Suarez found himself in that position where he would never make it to the next round - so he managed to get the rest of his team there.

If he had not stopped that certain goal, it would have meant the end for Uruguay (including Suarez), so in a split second he decided to make hands and keep the ball out to begin with. A red card for a player is nothing compared to the whole team being out of the tournament.

The way it finally turned out was dramatic of course.

I really felt sorry for Ghana, in the end I was honestly rooting for them, but having Uruguay without Suarez as the next opponents may be a slightly better chance for our team.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks