What's new

2010 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The four 'Resident Evil' movies have earned a modest domestic mark of $200.8 million combined. Overseas though, the films has tallied more than $437 million giving the franchise a total worldwide haul of about $638 million. Sony only shelled out a total of $190 million to make the four movies (which is very modest in the scheme of things) so the series has proven to be immensely profitable for the studio, hence why they keep making them.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I'm also not sure why studios keep making horse-themed films. Of the 24 horse-themed films listed by BoxOfficeMojo.com only 5 of those have grossed more than $50 million. It seems like a genre that's box office poison.

Whoa there big fella!

Not everybody can subsist on a diet of gross comedies, loud action flicks, comic book movies and horror flicks.

Some of us actually like horses, you know, and love horse racing. Secretariat was the most phenomenal American race horse within living memory. Peggy Chenery' and the horse are a remarkable story. Horse movies can be great family fare. The problem is so many of them are not very good. I think the box office is just plain "off" right now, low numbers all around.

Secretariat is highly enjoyable, a bit too Disneyfied for my personal taste but it's a terrific movie for the whole family - kids, mom, pop, grandma nad grandpa, and you can't say that about many movies these days. It does boat an excellent turn from Diane Lane, and a good cast, but it doesn't excatly have big marquee names that guarantee a big opening.

Some "good" horse movies would include Phar Lap, Champions, Seabiscuit, The Black Stallion, Let It Ride etc.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Disney was hoping that "Secretariat" would play more like "The Blind Side", which is why Diane Lane's character was featured so prominently in the ads much like the ones showcasing Sandra Bullock's performance a year ago. Despite the lukewarm reaction the movie earned last weekend, Disney is still planning a big Oscar push for Lane.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from Red, which was an absolute blast. The theater was absolutely packed, but pretty geriatric. I'd say the average age of my audience was around 60. Lots of middle-aged people. Quite a few downright old people. Everybody loved it, including the smattering of us under 30. A line had formed in the lobby when we got out. I'm really hoping it was for Red and not Jackass 3D, but I'm not optimistic.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having Jackass 3D open against Red, it is pretty much counter-programming, as Jackass 3D really skews young, and it's easy to see Red skewing pretty old given the cast.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The early estimates indicate very impressive openings for both "Jackass 3D" and "Red". "Jackass 3D" pulled in about $20 million on Friday, indicating that the movie will open in the neighborhood of $40 million, as well as becoming the biggest opening film of the series thus far (easily passing the $29 million launch of the first 'Jackass' flick).

"Red" looks to have earned in the area of $8-$9 million, which would give it a debut haul in the $25 million range. This marks the first $20 million-plus debut for star Bruce Willis (as the headlining attraction) since the $33.4 million debut of "Live Free or Die Hard" back in '07.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Friday Estimates

#1 "Jackass 3D" $21.8 million

#2 "Red" $7.2 million

#3 "The Social Network" $3.3 million ($55.4 million) 31% Friday-to-Friday drop

#4 "Life As We Know It" $3.1 million ($22.7 million) 41% Friday-to-Friday drop

#5 "Secretariat" $2.8 million ($20.9 million) 30% Friday-to-Friday drop

#6 "The Town" $1.2 million ($77.8 million) 33% Friday-to-Friday drop

#7 "Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" $1.05 million ($42.8 million) 41% Friday-to-Friday drop

#8 "My Soul to Take" $1.00 million ($9.7 million) 62% Friday-to-Friday drop

#9 "Easy A" $855K ($50.5 million) 36% Friday-to-Friday drop

#10 "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" $715K ($46.2 million) 48% Friday-to-Friday drop

#11 "N-Secure" $430K

#12 "It's Kind of a Funny Story" $395K ($3.2 million) 42% Friday-to-Friday drop

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Jackass 3D scored the biggest October opening of all time with an estimated $50 million. I know there will be plenty of people on this site absolutely horrified by that statement, but I'll unapologetically admit that I still laugh at the antics of those guys to this day. I don't think I'll be going to the theater as I'm horrified at the thought of seeing their "stuff" in 3D, but I can't wait for the film's release on Blu-Ray.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
This weekend also marked the second biggest top 12 finish ever for the month of October. This weekend pulled in $121.3 million, trailing only the $127.6 million haul from the third weekend of business last year. The industry is extremely hopeful that next weekend's release of "Paranormal Activity 2" follows the same trend as this weekend and mark only the third time in history that October has enjoyed back-to-back top 12 earnings north of $100 million (last year and 2003 were the only other times this has happened).

At a cost of only $20 million, "Jackass 3D" was instantly profitable this weekend and I wouldn't be at all surprised of a fourth film hits theaters within the next couple of years. "Jackass 3D" has a great shot at becoming the first film of the series to top the century mark domestically.

Bruce Willis enjoyed his biggest opening weekend haul since the 2007 release of "Live Free or Die Hard" as "Red" got off to a near $23 million debut. With a budget said to be in the neighborhood of $60 million, look for this one to have decent legs in the comings weeks, as well as doing big business overseas.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Overseas box office report from The Hollywood Reporter site...

Riding a wave of school holidays overseas, "Despicable Me" emerged No. 1 on the foreign theatrical circuit over the weekend, generating $25.7 million at 4,900 screens in 54 markets and raising its offshore gross total to $168.6 million.

Although the Universal release has been playing the foreign circuit for the last 15 weeks, the family-oriented 3D animation title voiced principally by Steve Carell is just now hitting full stride offshore due to its graduated rollout calibrated to school breaks among other factors.

Weekend openings in nine territories were strong, said Universal. "Reactions and word-of-mouth are positive, and school holidays are underway in most of these countries. So we are looking at long runs."

Nearly half the weekend tally came from the all-important U.K. market and from Italy. "Despicable" was No. 1 in the U.K. with a commanding $6.2 million drawn from 522 locations, Universal's second-biggest market opening of 2010. A No. 2 Italy opening generated $4.3 million from 490 sites.

Holdovers included a No. 1 ranking for the third straight frame in Germany ($3.8 million in the third round at 766 sites for an 18-day market cume of $16.2 million). In France, the No. 3 weekend tallied $4.4 million from 655 locations for a 12-day total of $10.8 million. Spain provided a No. 1 ranking with $2.3 million from 575 venues for a 10-day total of $8.2 million.

"Despicable Me" passed the $400 million global gross benchmark Saturday. Overseas, the film has 10 more markets yet to play including Portugal, which opens this week, and Belgium and Japan, which open the following round.

Finishing second was the prior weekend No. 1 title, Sony's "Eat Pray Love." This time the romantic drama starring Julia Roberts drew $13.3 million from 4,075 locations in 67 territories, hoisting its foreign gross total to $86.8 million. No. 1 openings in Indonesia and New Zealand augmented a solid first-place second round in Australia ($2.1 million from 330 sites for a market cume of $7 million).

Third on the weekend was Sony's "The Social Network," which opened in at least five European territories including the U.K. (where it ranked No. 2 with $3.86 million derived from 439 spots), France (also No. 2 with $3.6 million taken from 351 screens) and Spain (No. 2 with $1.7 million drawn from 352 locations). Director David Fincher's drama starring Jesse Eisenberg as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has grossed $17.3 million so far overseas.

Fourth was Warner Bros' "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole," which drew $9.5 million from some 4,600 screens in 46 territories. Cume for director Zack Snyder's animation fantasy stands at $41.6 million. A second weekend No. 1 finish in Mexico yielded $1.3 million from more than 900 venues.

No. 5 was director Oliver Stone's "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," which grossed $7.27 million from 4,012 screens in 60 markets. The sequel starring Michael Douglas as financial miscreant Gordon Gekko opened No. 1 in China ($2.24 million, as per distributor 20th Century Fox, from 1,200 screens). Overseas cume stands at $49.4 million.

"Resident Evil: Afterlife," via Sony and other distributors grossed $5.8 million. Sony's portion of the action was $4.3 million from 1,495 screens in 44 territories. Constantin Film's sci-fi/fantasy starring Milla Jovovich as a video game heroine has grossed $207.4 million so far overseas.

Also coming in at $5.8 million on the weekend, from about 1,600 screens, was Warner's "The Town," from director-star Ben Affleck. The Boston-area heist drama's international cume stands at $26.3 million. An Australia opening generated $2 million from 262 sites.

Still reigning No. 1 in Italy was "Benvenuti Al Sud" ("Welcome to the South"), director Luca Miniero's interpretation of the smash French comedy, "Welcome to the Sticks." Third weekend at some 430 sites generated an estimated $4.6 million for a market cume of about $24 million.

Sony's copy caper "The Other Guys," starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, pushed its overseas cume to $33.8 million thanks to a $4.3 million weekend at 1,425 screens in 37 markets. Also yielding $4.3 million was Warner's romantic comedy "Life As We Know It" starring Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel, which played some 1,500 screens including openings in Russia, Mexico, Holland and Brazil. Early foreign cume stands at $7.1 million.

Fox's "Knight and Day" with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz scored a solid second round in Japan ($2.5 million from 590 spots for a market cume of $14.1 million), and drew $3.28 million overall on the weekend from 946 screens in Japan and Italy. Overseas cume for the action comedy stands at $171.5 million.

Taking the weekend's No. 1 spot in France was director-scripter Luc Besson's "Arthur et la guerre des deux mondes" ("Arthur and the Two World Wars") distributed by Europa Corp. Distribution. The English-language animation, third installment of the "Arthur and the Minimoys" series, is voiced principally by Mia Farrow and Freddie Highmore. It drew an estimated $5.5 million in the opening round at 700 situations.

No. 4 in France was UGC Distribution's release of director Giles Paquet-Brenner's drama,"Elle s'appelait Sarah" ("She was Called Sarah"), starring Kristen Scott Thomas as a journalist investigating the death of a 10-year-old girl in 1942. Opening round at 400 screens generated an estimated $2.3 million.

Other international cumes: Warner's "Inception," $521.7 million; Fox's "Vampires Suck," $36 million; Pixar/Disney's "Toy Story 3," $645.3 million (eighth biggest titled ever released overseas); Paramount's "The Last Airbender," $183.3 million; Disney's "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," $151.1 million; Universal's "Charlie St. Cloud," $10.7 million (after a $1.6 million weekend at 1,166 screens in 16 markets); Touchstone/Disney's "You Again," $3.3 million; Universal's "Devil," $12.3 million; DreamWorks/Paramount's "Dinner For Schmucks," $11.9 million; and Universal's "Senna," $560,000 over 10 days in Japan only.

Also, Sony's "Grown Ups," $105.5 million (after a $1.6 million weekend at 830 screens in 41 markets); Fox's "Avatar: Special Edition: $2.020 billion); Lionsgate's "Alpha and Omega," estimated $5 million; Fox's "Predators," $75 million; Mars Distribution's "Des homes et des dieux" (Of Gods and Men), $19.4 million over six rounds in France only; Lionsgate's "The Switch," estimated $14 million; and Fox's "Nosso Lar," $20 million in Brazil only.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Brent M

Jackass 3D scored the biggest October opening of all time with an estimated $50 million. I know there will be plenty of people on this site absolutely horrified by that statement, but I'll unapologetically admit that I still laugh at the antics of those guys to this day. I don't think I'll be going to the theater as I'm horrified at the thought of seeing their "stuff" in 3D, but I can't wait for the film's release on Blu-Ray.

It just goes to show that penis jokes are far more appreciated in our society than any kind of good writing/acting/directing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
It just goes to show that penis jokes are far more appreciated in our society than any kind of good writing/acting/directing.

Teen vampires, lame CG cartoons and bloated & boring special effects are more appreciated than good writing, acting, directing and penis jokes too. I'll gladly take Jackass over most of that crap any day of the week.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

That's a ridiculous statement. Just because I happen to enjoy childish humor like Jackass doesn't mean I don't appreciate good movies. Believe it or not, it's possible to have a broad spectrum of things that entertain you in life so lighten up, you might live longer.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Brent M

That's a ridiculous statement. Just because I happen to enjoy childish humor like Jackass doesn't mean I don't appreciate good movies. Believe it or not, it's possible to have a broad spectrum of things that entertain you in life so lighten up, you might live longer.

My comment wasn't directed at you personally (talk about "lighten up") ... just a general observation that films like JA3D and every Adam Sandler comedy seem to open to $40-$50 million, while many well done dramas are lucky to get half that (see The Social Network), or even a small fraction of that for independent films (see The Kids Are Alright, considered a huge success with a TOTAL gross of, what, $20 million?).

I'm well aware people can enjoy a broad spectrum of films. My own collection runs from Citizen Kane to National Lampoon's 'Van Wilder', and from Driving Miss Daisy to the Saw franchise to Singin' in the Rain.

I'm just discouraged that most serious, well-crafted films cannot draw as large an audience as the Jackass -type comedies. When's the last time a quiet, Oscar-worthy drama opened to $50 million?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
My comment wasn't directed at you personally (talk about "lighten up") ... just a general observation that films like JA3D and every Adam Sandler comedy seem to open to $40-$50 million, while many well done dramas are lucky to get half that (see The Social Network), or even a small fraction of that for independent films (see The Kids Are Alright, considered a huge success with a TOTAL gross of, what, $20 million?).

I'm well aware people can enjoy a broad spectrum of films. My own collection runs from Citizen Kane to National Lampoon's 'Van Wilder', and from Driving Miss Daisy to the Saw franchise to Singin' in the Rain.

I'm just discouraged that most serious, well-crafted films cannot draw as large an audience as the Jackass -type comedies. When's the last time a quiet, Oscar-worthy drama opened to $50 million?

Lots of dramas and independents get released every year, year after year. Meanwhile the few Jackass's pretty much have a monopoly on the genre. I think you'll find that drama does in fact out-gross the stunt-shows.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I have to agree with Malcolm here. I don't think he meant to insult people but I was walking out of BURIED on Thursday night. It was a few minutes before midnight and JACKASS 3D had three screens sold out. I doubt the majority of those people would be lining up at midnight to watch any of the various art house movies that have a hard time making $10,000 in its theatrical life let alone $50 million in three days.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm one of the ones that has only been to the theater once or twice all year. I usually only go to be entertained and wait for the videos at home. I just don't want to spend my entire Friday or Saturday night in a theater for a $15 disapointing movie. Most of the movies that come out these days are garbage, IMO. However, while Jackass is no oscar potential movie, I know for a fact I would laugh and be entertained, so I might go see it. Other movies, like Social Network, which I will probably enjoy, I'll still wait for it at home. I'll definately see Potter in the theater though. There's just very few movies that make me want to actually go to the movie these days, or the ones I know I'll enjoy are not something I NEED to see in the theater, like Toy Story 3.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There's a couple factors at play here. One is that the more front-loaded release strategy of recent years doesn't favor dramas, which used to depend on a slow build through word of mouth. The other is demographic; sophisticated films need a certain level of cognitive development to appreciate, and often a certain amount of life experience. Movies like Jackass 3D don't have such a high bar for entry. There are plenty of adults with that level of cognitive development and life experience that will "slum" it with a movie like Jackass 3D, but most young people won't become involved in a high-brow movie. I still like my popcorn movies today, but my tastes have broadened as I've aged.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks