What's new

2010 - 2011 MLB Hot Stove Thread (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it looks like the Phillies pitching staff is set to completely dismantle the entire National League for the next few years.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Lee, Halliday, Hamels & Oswalt might sound even more fearsome than Maddux, Glavine & Smoltz.

I'd also include Avery in the mix of Braves pitchers you list. There were a few years where he performed more effectively (and had a better W-L record) than Smoltz (e.g., 1991, 1993, 1994). But that killer year of Smoltz (24-8) was one to cherish if you were a Braves fan. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Lee, Halliday, Hamels & Oswalt might sound even more fearsome than Maddux, Glavine & Smoltz.

I'd also include Avery in the mix of Braves pitchers you list. There were a few years where he performed more effectively (and had a better W-L record) than Smoltz (e.g., 1991, 1993, 1994). But that killer year of Smoltz (24-8) was one to cherish if you were a Braves fan. :)

[/QUOTE]
I considered throwing Kevin Millwood onto that list. He had a couple of very good years with those boys. But only a couple.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
This definitely seemed too good to be true, as I never thought the Phils were one of the teams pursuing Lee.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
remember Boston's rotation was supposed to be awesome last year and look how that turned out.

i don't follow the NL that closely, but Hammels could be a question mark. and the Phillies offense actually got WORSE, and it was inexplicably underperforming to begin with. and what about that bullpen?

i'm just saying, you have to play the games.

but yes, it's hard not to get excited about that rotation.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Zach Greinke gets traded to the Brewers.

I can only imagine that just makes it harder to be a Royals fan, especially after all the other teams in the division having made the playoffs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter C

Zach Greinke gets traded to the Brewers.

I can only imagine that just makes it harder to be a Royals fan, especially after all the other teams in the division having made the playoffs.

That really is too bad for the fans of KC. I kinda figured Greinke might end up with the Yankees (even though it was never really clear if he wanted to play there).

======================

And, by the way...very sad news about the following players:

Bob Feller (H-O-F, Lifetime ERA of 3.25, eight time All Star, and owner of two of the coolest baseball nicknames ever: Rapid Robert & the Heater from Van Meter) In 1940, Feller was 27-11 with a 2.61 ERA. He pitched 320.1 innings with 261 strikeouts. Awesome. He also completed 31 of 37 games-started that year along with 4 shutouts.

Walt Dropo (1950 AL ROY with Red Sox batting .322 with 34 HR and 144 RBIs)

Phil Cavarretta (1945 NL MVP--batting .355 with Chicago)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike, Walter Dropo will forever be remembered in my mind for his consecutive hits. An amazing thing, and something that I don't think has ever been threatened over the years.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
holy crap, Adrian Beltre's about to sign a 5y/80m with the Rangers. i know the Rangers just came into a new tv deal and have some new money, but do you really have to throw it away?!?!? there's a 6th possible year at 16m if Beltre reaches milestones. who were they bidding against that they had to guarantee 5 years to a guy that has one good year every 5 or 6 years?!?!? the Angels? who are giving a sigh of relief? :P

oh and they give up a 1st round draft pick too.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6030404

interesting bit on the Yankee-Soriano signing, it turns out Cashman didn't change his mind on giving up a draft pick, but rather ownership overruled him. if anything, it's believed that the Steinbrenner Jrs wanted to control costs, not spend like the Boss.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And...Andy Pettitte will announce his retirement from baseball tomorrow morning.

1st in Post Season wins with 19. 3rd in wins for the Yanks behind Ford & Ruffing.

The 2011 Yankees are a weaker team with his departure.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I know that you are deeply sad that Pettitte is going to retire because I know how much you like the Yankees! I was thinking that the picture you posted in post 34 was not in Boston but perhaps in Rensselaer, NY outside your house????

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The snow banks outside my house are MUCH higher that what's in that picture!

This is the winter the snow just won't stop!

We need baseball to, once again, bring warmth to the land.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks